Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsman22
the stove do a crime? why's it in jail?

Ha! The boy didn't understand "hot" yet and his legs were still shaky.

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
4th point, that's why I like the Herder tent so much...it's basically a canvas Outback Lodge with higher walls(eg, it should breathe better and will handle an errant ember better). I emailed Springbar about putting a jack into one of their tents, but haven't head back from them yet.

How would you like that Outback for a one person(the 8x8 model) quick setup type of tent? I really wish that Cabela's would make a version of that Outback with higher walls and in the same material as the Alaknak/XWT...of course that would just make things even more difficult for me.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Quack,

I wouldn't worry too much about embers if you're still planning to run a Four-Dog. When I got mine I thought the baffle was B.S. so I sat in front of the stove and watched to see if embers would go up the flue. After awhile I gave up. There's no straight-line shot. Not saying it can never happen, but the only thing that could sneak up there was very light ash from burnt paper. I never got pinholes in that Outback, but I did use an arrestor to keep the rangers from hassling me.

The 8x8 would be a good tent for solo use. The regular price of the Outback is too high now though, for what it is. Have you though about a tipi from Ti Goat, Seek Outside, or Kifaru? These might be the one tent that can do everything for you, but the cost is high.

Another interesting design I considered is the Snowtrekker, but they are not very big.

Last edited by 4th_point; 06/07/13.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
In a perfect world, I'd have a canvas tent AND something along these lines...

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3800762&lmdn=Brand&cp=3677338.12946247

Or a small Kodiak/Springbar.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used a canvas wall tent for 35 years made in Denver with great success and even affection. I finally bought an internal frame which is an improvement.

Last fall I camped in my hunting buddies' Alaknak. It feels confining to me with the low sidewalls. It takes just as long to set up. It doesn't smell right or reflect light very well. In wet conditions it is hard to ventilate. I would go with the canvas tent without question. Elk like water.

Size is a personal choice. I have learned that except for my family and a few friends I don't want a crowd in my tent. I have a 10 x 14 footer which is fine for 2. It is the cooktent for larger groups. I used to sleep 4 in it, but I was related to them. A big tent is harder to set up, heavy and exposes a lot of tent to the wind. Better to have two smaller tents for a group. It is easier to find a flat spot for a smaller tent in the mountains.

Last edited by ppine; 06/08/13.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

mercy triumphs over judgement
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So tell me more about a tipi...specifically a 6 man size. Enough for 2 and cots if truck camping? Or something like a Cabela's bed roll instead of cots? The 8 man would be ideal size I think, but I can get a 6 man plus stove for the cost of an 8 man.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had good success camping out of an 18 foot tipi in places with good road access and flat ground. It is a beautiful and functional way to live in the mountains. Transporting the poles which are as long as 24-27 feet is a challenge. The best solution if you are not a welder is a contraption like a canoe trailer.

A tipi with a fire and a liner is warm, cheery and roomy. I like to watch the moon rise thru the smoke hole. Six people could fit in it. Eight is a lot in any tent. For big groups, one large tent can function as the gathering and cooking spot. People can sleep in smaller nylon tents.

Last edited by ppine; 06/13/13.

George Santayana
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is a big jump in usable space between the 6 and 8 man..
Walk in comfort and space to store duffel and still have all the stand up area to yourself. The stove won't be "always in the way" with the 8 man.
Compromise on the stove and buy it later...
Just a few of my observations.

Last edited by budman5; 06/13/13.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Probably won't buy a stove for a few months, but still don't want to spend the extra $200 for the 8 man. If mama ain't happy with tipi camping, I'll just buy a big ass, cheap wally-world dome for the 3 nights a year that she camps.

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by ppine
I have had good success camping out of an 18 foot tipi in places with good road access and flat ground. It is a beautiful and functional way to live in the mountains. Transporting the poles which are as long as 24-27 feet is a challenge. The best solution if you are not a welder is a contraption like a canoe trailer.

A tipi with a fire and a liner is warm, cheery and roomy. I like to watch the moon rise thru the smoke hole. Six people could fit in it. Eight is a lot in any tent. For big groups, one large tent can function as the gathering and cooking spot. People can sleep in smaller nylon tents.

Will a liner help with the condensation on the inside of a tipi?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yup. That's what they're made for.

Last edited by quackaddict; 06/15/13.

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by quackaddict
Yup. That's what they're made for.
Good place to buy one?????

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If it's for a SO, then straight from SO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
farmer,
A liner, properly installed helps everything- it makes it warmer, cooler, drier and will draft better with a fire.

George Santayana
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by ppine
farmer,
A liner, properly installed helps everything- it makes it warmer, cooler, drier and will draft better with a fire.

Thanks for the info. Just have to find one that will fit my tipi.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Quack,

You can put a stovejack in just about any tent. Just be careful and use good judgement. More than likely, someone has already done it.

Here's a 12x12 Outback Lodge that I used with a 3-Dog from Four-Dog. Pics are from an archery elk trip with wife and son.

This tent had the old zipper design that failed during a terrible snowstorm on a rifle elk hunt. My buddy was sound asleep even with the wind and snow blowing. I wanted to check the tension of the ropes and the door zipper got stuck with the door wide open and snow blowing inside! I did a quick sewing job to close the door and cut the mesh out of the window in the door to get in and out. What a freaking pain. That tent went back to Cabelas.

If the price was right, I would get another Outback for quick trips just because it sets up quickly. Apparently the zipper has been improved. I wouldn't use it in snow or expose it to high winds though.

I think one downside to a nylon/poly singlewall tent is that the body can act as a bellow and pump smoke into your tent if the wind is just right. Cabela's used to have a video of the Alaknak in the wind. If you watch that video its easy to see how it would be a smoke pumper too.

Tents are trade-offs. No way around it. If money were not object, I'd get an Arctic Oven.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very cool!

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A huntiing tent should not have zippers, because they fail. Better to have canvas ties. A sod cloth along the bottom helps hold the heat.

A tipi liner need not be elaborate or made for a specific tent. You just need some light tarps, with ties on the top about 6 feet high. Old flannel sheets would work pretty well. Set up the cover so it is several inches above the ground with the liner touching the ground. With a fire the tipi will draw outside air between the cover and liner and out the smoke hole by convection. In warm weather, the tipi will draw air on its own. In hot weather you can roll up the north side of the cover and pull cool air from the shade up and out the smoke hole.

Last edited by ppine; 06/17/13.

George Santayana
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

712 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 69 invisible), 3,518 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,379
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.