Print Thread
Hop To
#7821167 06/15/13
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Did Ruger issue the number 1 in a 358 or has this been rebarreled?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=347598797

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If you buy this will you trade/sell me your CPR 358?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Andrews, PM El_Numero_Uno for a definitive answer.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
andrews1958,

I don't know if Ruger actually produced any factory rifles like that (El Numero Uno would indeed be the guy to ask) but the barrel on that one is most probably after-market, since the caliber engraving isn't in the scroll style Ruger uses on No. 1's. Either that or the barrel has been rebored from .308 Winchester and re-marked.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I am not aware of the Factory making any .358 Winchester No.1's in any configuration. "Never say never" is the watchword when trying to figure out what Ruger may have done. My opinion, based on the pictures and writup, is that it is a made up rifle. I do not recall seeing a barrel address in the pics, so don't know if it has a new barrel or is a rebore. Would not have been a .308, as No.1 RSI was not made in that caliber. Most likely a .243, or 7x57-if that would work.

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
IC B2

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I don't know the answer to this question (factory or not) but, whenever I pass through Southport (CT), I stop at Hansen and Hansen (http://www.hansenguns.com/). They've got an amazing variety of guns for sale and are very friendly. When talking to the proprietor 3 years ago, he commented that he'll occasionally get a Ruger firearm from an employee or ex-employee in an unknown caliber. He also buys gun collections from Ruger employees with all the same serial number.

Sometimes they are experimental and sometimes just something that an employee cooked up (or ordered) using available components. Perhaps this rifle is one of these, or it could just be a re-bore or re-barrel.

Question - If it is a one off rifle made at the factory for an employee, is it a "factory rifle", a custom rifle or, just a mis-matched rifle?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Back around 1981 at the NRA convention in Phoenix, I asked the Ruger rep if they'd ever make the M77 RSI in .358 Win. His answer was, "NO [bleep] WAY!" about as loud as he could go. Turned all kinds of heads. Years later while on the Ruger forun, no connection to Ruger BTW, I mentioned that incident and one guy not only had one but posted pictures. The opinon of most at the time is it wass made during a time when Ruger employees could make up non-standard rifles for personal use. Dunno if they can still do that though. We figured that's how that one left the plant.
I noticed that the #1 in question had a black recoil pad so I think it's fairly lateI have three Ruger 77 RSI's and one has a bit heftier stock than the other twp. I also have two M77's in .358 and I've been considering marrying the two up. At least I'd have what I wanted when Mr. Ruderep mouthed off.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Back around 1981 at the NRA convention in Phoenix, I asked the Ruger rep if they'd ever make the M77 RSI in .358 Win. His answer was, "NO [bleep] WAY!" Years later while on the Ruger forun, no connection to Ruger BTW, I mentioned that incident and one guy not only had one but posted pictures. The opinon of most at the time is it wass made during a time when Ruger employees could make up non-standard rifles for personal use. We figured that's how that one left the plant.

The 77 RSI .358 was a very limited run done up for Jerry's Sports Center in the late '80s or very early '90s. I vividly remember the advert in their quarterly sales flyer. I have kicked myself in the arse many times when I think back to that that one and many other limited runs that I had access to back then. I had (and still have) a BLR .358 and didn't figure I needed two .358s at the time....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have tried to find somebody in the barrel rebore business
to rebore my Lipseys Limited Ruger 77 RSI Stainless 7mm-08
to 358 Win. NO GO! from all I asked so far.
Just about ANY Ruger in 358 WIN. is a prize!
AMRA

Molan Labe
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The standard RSI barrel for the 7-08 and .308 are too thin to rebore to .358. Best bet would be a rebarrel if the forearm part of the stock is wide enough. I have three rifles (RSI) and two have nice slim stocks as they should be but #3 has a much fatter forearm. I have two M77s in .358 and I've been thinking (I know, that's rouble for sure.) that maybe one of the M77's would work in the RSI stock. I could always end the gun I stripped for the stock back to Ruger for a replacement.
Dunno if I'll ever do it but the empation keeps nagging hell out of me.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,243
Posts18,466,884
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.