-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OK, guys, here's something else that's sure to make somebody mad!

As it was described to me, many years ago at the university, the "sympathetic" fallacy goes like this,

"If that had happened to me, I would've felt [XYZ] about it � therefore, when it happened to him, he felt [XYZ] about it."

or

"If I'd said that, I would've meant [XYZ] � therefore, when he says it, he means [XYZ]."

It's common, an every-day occurrence, on the Campfire. It enables people from several states away to know what a distant fellow (whom they've never met and don't need to meet) "really" feels or means.

(Please, y'all, take careful note that I'm neither alluding to nor referring to anybody in particular. But don't be surprised when somebody pipes-up with "He means me.")

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You talking about me????

grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That one dovetails nicely with the ad ignorantiam fallacy. If ya can't prove it's not true, then it is.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Prime examples already loading up on the �Zimmerman Prosecutor Tells Jury� thread.

Posters that on the first day of the trial already knew what was in Zimmerman�s head.

Last edited by BOWSINGER; 06/24/13.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ken;

I learned a long ago to not think of my being so powerful that I can make anybody feel anything. People feel what ever way they choose to feel.
I have better things to do then take responsibility for some one else's feelings.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I know what you mean,KEN.

(can't find a smiley for this)

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
That one dovetails nicely with the ad ignorantiam fallacy. If ya can't prove it's not true, then it is.

I've more often encountered other versions of that �

If you can't prove that it's true, it isn't.

It never happened to me, so it can't happen.
"You say that it happened to you? You're delusional!"

I've never seen it happen, so it couldn't happen.
"You think that you saw it happen? You dreamed it!"

(Polite ways of saying "You're a fool!" or "You're lying!")

"Good enough" isn't.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
As a salesperson I have to guard against this. I use questions like, "So if I understand you correctly you are saying _________?"

Difference is when I am in sales mode I am listening to understand. Too often when I am in argument mode, particularly in front of my "friends" here, I am seeking to shoot for points. I try not to be like that, but it happens.

Another unfortunate dynamic here on the Internet is how people can ofttimes take the asking of questions as rhetorical argumentation when I am actually trying to understand. Seems people are a lot less patient than in FTF conversations but that makes sense, as so much is lost when all I can do is read your words and not your voice inflection, facial expressions, and body language.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
� people can ofttimes take the asking of questions as rhetorical argumentation �

In my real-life experience, by far the most questions that people ask are not rhetorical.

What I see on the 'Fire is both
(a) people taking "straight" questions as if they're rhetorical
and
(b) people taking rhetorical questions as if they're "straight."

� and often, the obviously rhetorical questions are invitations to ponder a matter, not challenges to fight about something or other (certainly not to "argue" by calling each other nasty names).

"Good enough" isn't.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
OK, guys, here's something else that's sure to make somebody mad!

As it was described to me, many years ago at the university, the "sympathetic" fallacy goes like this,

"If that had happened to me, I would've felt [XYZ] about it � therefore, when it happened to him, he felt [XYZ] about it."

or

"If I'd said that, I would've meant [XYZ] � therefore, when he says it, he means [XYZ]."

It's common, an every-day occurrence, on the Campfire. It enables people from several states away to know what a distant fellow (whom they've never met and don't need to meet) "really" feels or means.

(Please, y'all, take careful note that I'm neither alluding to nor referring to anybody in particular. But don't be surprised when somebody pipes-up with "He means me.")

One day closer to me dancing a jig!

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I write something to which somebody is unintentionally offended, it is my fault for not making it clear. Within reason, of course. When all we have to communicate are words, then we need to chose them carefully to say exactly what we mean.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For Mark Twain, vocal language possessed a quality that no one could isolate or reproduce in any other form of communication. He abhorred newspaper reporters' verbatim reports of his lectures, for he felt that such reproduction � � leaves the soul out of it, and no more presents that lecture to the reader than a person presents a man to you when he ships you a corpse.�

"Good enough" isn't.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (1eyedmule, 257 mag, 35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 10 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,264
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.