Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Picked up a Sako 85 Finnlight in 30 WSM. Found a like new Leupold 4.5 X 14 for it locally only to find out it has the 30MM tube. All my Sako mounts are 1 inch. What is a good set of 30MM rings to get for it, or should I pedal the 30MM and find a 1 inch?????

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have always used optilocks for both one inch and 30mm scopes. The problem I see is that 30mm scope is going to be heavy on a finnlight.

You might trade the 30mm for a inch scope. Did I mention I have some one inch scopes...grin.

Dink

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
1 Pc optilock ring mounts are light and look good. They are very low however and can cause extraction/ clearance issues. If not those use the 2 pc optilocks. I prefer compact 1" scopes on finnlights not only for weight but to keep the size down.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Leupold makes some Ringmounts but I prefer the Optilock Ringmounts. I would not own the two piece Optilock mounts, they are heavy enough that scope size won't matter.

The Leupolds are the lightest but don't offer as much adjustment on the receiver as the Optilock Ringmounts.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Leupold makes some Ringmounts but I prefer the Optilock Ringmounts. I would not own the two piece Optilock mounts, they are heavy enough that scope size won't matter.

The Leupolds are the lightest but don't offer as much adjustment on the receiver as the Optilock Ringmounts.

Actually in some ways the Leupolds are more versatile because they don't utilize a recoil pin on rear ring. The rear ring has been the limiting factor for me on the optilocks ring mounts. If I can make them work the eyepiece is usually nestled up against the rear of the ring. The 2pc while heavier allow more room for extraction. I use both styles and pass on Leupolds cause I like the recoil pin of optilocks.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It's usually the other way around for me. I have seen several Optilock Ringmounts that had the recoil pin cut or filled away. I'm sure a Dremmel would make short work of it and you would still have stronger mounts than the Leupold.

My problem with the Leupold mounts is that they won't tighten on the rail until near the end. As I said, I need the scope mounted closer rather than farther most of the time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If they fit your application, the 1-piece Optilock Ringmounts are the best route, in my opinion. Mine is a 30mm scope and I do think it on the big side for a light rifle. I'd be just as happy with a simple lightweight LEU scope with a 1-inch tube, but I've got the S&B, so I use it.
[Linked Image]

Best:)

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I always like that picture Gary. I'm pretty sure that pic prompted me to recently buy a Finnlight. Very happy with it by the way. It wears a 3-10x42 Swaro Z3 with 1pc ringmounts. It works but just barely extracts clearly.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Gary--what height Ringmount, that rifle looks awesome!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are the 1-piece Optilock Low Ringmounts which are lower than the Extra-Low 2-piece Optilock mount/rings.
[Linked Image]

If they fit, I'm of the opinion they are the best mounting system going, bar none. I wanted a 1-piece system to be removed to leave my receiver clean and clear when addressing the fixed sights. In addition, I remove and replace the scope fairly often and wanted the system to be rock solid repeatable. Below is a test target where I removed and replaced the scope prior to each shot. The system has proven to me very reliable.
[Linked Image]

Best smile

Edit to add:

They use the same T-25 mount screws as the action screws on the rifle. Sako specs the action screws to be torqued at 55-57 inch-pounds, with the ringmount screws torqued at 45 inch-pounds. I have found my rifle shoots well and holds torque with the action screws torqued at the same 45 inch-pounds. So to keep things simple, I carry a compact Felo T-25 torque driver in a small travel kit with the rifle so I can remove the scope and break down the barreled action from the stock for traveling in a smaller rifle case. I can then assemble the rifle and mount the scope using the 45 inch-torque setting, and the rifle holds zero without any issues.

Last edited by GaryVA; 06/25/13.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I have a set of Optilock one piece on the way. THANKS!!!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by papalondog
I have a set of Optilock one piece on the way. THANKS!!!

Good deal! Post us some pictures with a range report.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 56 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,347
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.