Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by BWalker
I have BFG all terrain E range tires on my Toyota Tacoma. Despite what has been said above mine ride like a dream and I am getting 16city/21 highway with my truck, which is about the same as my friends Taco with stock tires.

I've got 265/75 r16 E Mickey Thompson ATZ's on my '12Tacoma DCSB Off Road and I've got the same results - good ride, mileage virtually unchanged from stock, averaging about 19 mpg for my daily driving. 54,000 miles on these MT's and they still have a lot of tread, no punctures, no cuts driving in cactus and rock...

David

I should have said I would have preferred load range c tires, but BFG doesn't offer them in 265/75/R16

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have run E's on a couple of half tons. Kept the air pressure around 50 and all of the sudden I quit having flat tires on hunting trips. They wore like iron as well.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I should have said I would have preferred load range c tires, but BFG doesn't offer them in 265/75/R16

...there's plenty of better all-terrain type tires out there that do come in P265/75/16 anyways.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ajmorell

...there's plenty of better all-terrain type tires out there that do come in P265/75/16 anyways.

I have used them for years and will continue to do so, but for curiosity sake give me some examples.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ajmorell

I have used them for years and will continue to do so, but for curiosity sake give me some examples.

I don't mean to say the BFGs are junk, they're not and I've run a couple sets myself. Having lived in the UP for about 7 years if I were going to buy a tire that was suited to that environment I'd be looking for an all terrain like the Toyo AT, Nitto or Firestone that has a ton of siping for the winter weather. The first set of BFG ATs I had wore like crap and the winter traction was mediocre at best, in fact the MTs I replaced them with seemed to have just as good of traction in the winter in Houghton. The second set I had wore a lot better than the first, but they were a little noisy. I think my biggest gripe with the BFGs is that they are overpriced for the features they have

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I havent tried any of the tires you mentioned. However I have had many sets of BFG all terrains on everything from 3/4 ton diesels to my current Tacoma and have been very happy with the mileage, lack of noise, off road performance and the fact they do very well in snow, provided you use the winter rated version.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I run E rated tires on my pickup. I live a fair bit out on the gravel and get far fewer rock flats with E rated tires than the lighter tires. I run 50# in them and my highway fuel mileage on an 800 mile round trip was 17 mpg which is about the same as I got with the Goodyear Wranglers that were on it when it was new.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been running Firestone Transforce HT 245/75R16 E/10PRs on my 2005 Tacoma since the factory skins started going flat at 25,000 miles. I am on the fourth set (225K+ on the odometer) and have had only one flat--a rock cut after a long, rough outing on a really gnarly road. You have to run them a little hard (I keep mine at 40 PSI, minimum), but they do hold up well on unpaved roads and rocky two-tracks. I get 55-60K miles out of a set and I don't run the tread down to the recommended replacement depth.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by logcutter
I run E's on my F-150....Popped two sets of P with a load in rocky terrain.Pulling a travel trailer at 9,000 lbs loaded and a wood trailer in the same category,I need the toughest tire I can get within my budget....

Can't tell a bit of difference in ride...The E's are set 35-40 lbs empty and 45-50 lbs loaded with a 50,000 mile warranty.

Couldn't be happier with the E-rated tire and the piece of mind of not popping one out in rocky terrain loaded far from home..Been there done that to many times.

Jayco

It sounds funny, but your rocks are harder on tires than the rocks here. I ran D-rated tires on 3/4 ton trucks for several years and never had rocks puncture them until I started spending time where you are. I had at least one flat a year while over there until I went to E-rated tires, then I had no more flats.
If I started hunting and spending my spare timeover there again, I'd put E-rated tires on my Tundra.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had gone back to a D rated tire for a smoother ride but after ruining two of them in one trip to the deer lease I went back to E rated tires and haven't had another problem since. They do ride rough and for a long time.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
235/85/16 will still keep your speedo correct and they run quite a bit less per tire. The set I just put on saved me over $30 per tire compared to the 265/75/16.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I think I'm going to go with Cooper AT3's in load range C. I just do too much highway driving with it. I'm going to have to get a car for commuting and a full size pickup for everything else.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm late to the party as usual. I'm running a 2008 Frontier King Cab nismo model with 265x75-16 10 ply toyo open country mud terrains. Hands down the best tires I've had on it. It has delusions of being a real truck. The first 15,000 miles or so they were extremely quiet, now that they're wearing a bit there is a hint of road noise showing up. They are damn round so the ride isn't bumpy like some of the other mud tires ... say like the interco SSRs I had on my TJ. I took it up to 106 last spring. No handling quirks at all. You'd think I was running P series. But with the tread these have, it does better in snow in 2WD than it did in 4WD with either previous set of tires.

Anyways, got no issues with E rated tires on a light truck.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Your post takes up six lines on my screen, so someone will be along shortly to argue with something you've said, I'm sure. Be patient.

grin

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Got heat insomnia tonight....again....

Running BF Goodrich T/A Commercial Radials on my 88 4 Runner...

The tires on it do ride sort of hard, and I run 40 PSIs in them..front and back... but then I have 1500 lb overload springs on the back and Monroe Heavy Duty Shocks front and back...

These are 245/75/16 Es.. going to have to think about replacing them within the next 10,000 miles or so... down to 5/32nds on the tread...

no off road punctures on these, as I had with load range C tires before...

oh, and these tires have 120,000 miles on them so far, so they are lasting pretty well...going to go to a Winter Tire Version of the T/A Commercials this time around...

They and the 4 Runner will probably outlast me... but Seafire Jr is looking toward the day the 4 Runner is all his..

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
120,000 miles on a single set of tires?

What kind of trailer were you towing this 4Runner around on?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by cwh2
120,000 miles on a single set of tires?

What kind of trailer were you towing this 4Runner around on?

heavy tires, light truck...

and with 40 PSI in a tire that will hold a max pressure of 80 psi, not pushing their capacity at all...

jealous, ain't ya? grin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

317 members (1lesfox, 2alphas2, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,818 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,632
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.