Print Thread
Hop To
C
coyo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I was wondering if anyone out there has used an Exide nautilus marine battery I had an NC 27 with a 24 month warranty and in the 26th month of its life it went belly up and left me stranded out on the lake as the outboard nor the trolling motor would function and I thought what a joke as their engineers must be pretty sharp to learn how to make a battery live 2 months past the warranty and than just fallout tits up and its over so anyhow I stumbled on a boating forum where someone brought this topic up and there were a big handful of people who've been down the same road as me so Ill guess Ill just go tell the big truth on em and Im pretty disappointed in exide and would not push their battery on anyone to buy as myself and many others are pretty sore about their lack of quality in their batteries.

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
GB2

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
So, you want a battery that won't let you down, will hold a charge and will last more than a few months. I've been down the same road and eventually your search will take you to the Odyssey Battery.

Odyssey Battery

I have these batteries installed in my truck, my boat and my ATV. Living in Minnesota, we see a bit of cold winter weather. My ATV is stored over the winter and goes six months without starting. I pull it out in the spring, crank it over and it starts. The Odyssey battery in it is 5 years old! My truck will sit outside in zub-zero weather and not be started for two to three weeks but still fire right up at -15 below, did I mention it's a diesel? Lesser batteries couldn't handle the cold soak as well as the drain of heating the glow plugs while trying to turn over the engine. The Odyssey battery handles this with no problem. My boat battery sits up in Canada all winter, where temperatures can reach -35 below zero. Each spring I put the charger on it before putting it back in the boat, but it is always almost fully charged after sitting all winter.

Now, these batteries will cost you, probably double what you'll pay for a lesser battery. They'll also last three times longer, so in the long run they're cheaper but the up front cost can look a bit daunting. The good news is that Odyssey sells their marine batteries under the Sears DieHard Platinum brand and Sears has them on sale from time to time.

Sears DieHard Platinum Battery

So, if you're tired of lesser batteries not lasting and leaving you stranded, you've found your battery. Odyssey ATV batteries can be found on Ebay.

Good luck out there.

C
coyo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
thanks for the grand advice.

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have always been paranoid about the, boat not starting issue. I often travel 10-25 miles up and down river by boat and anchor up around islands and quiet bays staying in my boat over night.

Two things have solved this paranoia for me. First I have a kicker motor that is both electric and pull start. It's tied into my batteries so even if I have a dead battery and can pull start this motor,... in a short time it will recharge enough to start the main motor.

So...... now you say, if the battery is dead and will not hold a charge then the kicker has nothing to charge! True with that basic system.

I learned something about this with my pickup camper. I put in dual batteries one for the starter, and one for the "house" radio, lights, gages, etc. The isolator charges both when running, but once the engine shuts off it only allows the house battery to be used.

The selector switch can also manually choose either one or both together. This is a very risk free system. I can run my lap top, lights, DVD player, stereo, charge my phone and run things all night without risk to the starting battery. My house battery is the sears die hard platinum ( AGM). It's about 30% heavier then an equal size battery of another brand. It has never died on me or gone flat over night. It also charges in about 1/2 the time. It's a beast of energy storage.

It does not have the amps to start the big motor alone, it's a deep cycle. My main starter battery is a Marine battery sold by West Marine. If it should need replacing it will without question be an Odyssey brand with the starting amps, not the deep cycle model.

I cannot suggest enough the idea of dual batteries and the isolator. This gives you a full battery all the time, just like your pickup or car. With this you have the option of full electrical use of the other battery when anchored up. Plus the ability to connect them together with the turn of a switch should you need to.

One other addition, a battery status meter in the dash. Most of the time monitoring this day to day you will know well ahead of time that something is not good before it's just plain dead!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Good to hear Walt. Makes me feel better about the $200 I spent for that Platinum I put in my pick-up.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I really think lots has to do with the battery charger and maintaniance

I had a pocket cruiser with a high end Guest charger and I had a set of Gould batterys that lasted well I will not say you would not believe anyway. If you just charge with a cheap charger I dont think it helps that batts

Mine were in plugged to shore power Mid May thru October than one lead taken off but left in the boat for winter

I am not sure if any last long time with out minimal care
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 68 invisible), 2,724 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.