Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Life Member here....reading my latest issue of Bugle and saw mention of that fact. They referenced their previous issue for in depth coverage of what happened, why they did it, etc.

I know these type of things are delicate issues....the poor gentleman, Tortenson, developed stomach cancer and gave the 95,000 acre ranch to RMEF and also provided 4 mil to run the place. So what happens? They eventually determine that they have to sell it because things "didn't exactly work out the way both sides thought it would"....in so many words.

I dunno....seeing that happen, it just hit me wrong...The poor soul lost his life and gave them his most cherished posession, with enough money to run it, and it gets sold. As I understand, his wife, by RMEF's admission, was not totally happy about the deal. I guess I'm just sentimental or something....it just smells to me.

I'm sure someone on here will correct me with what actually transpired though....fire away.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
BP-B2

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I no longer get the mag, but in my recollection, RMEF is big into conservation easements (they actually spend most of their $$ buying easements rather than the land itself).

I'd be surprised (shocked, actually) if they transferred the land without an easement in place.

In other words, the new owner would be bound by the non-development easement.

Either that or it was land-swapped with the state.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
new owners bought it for 30 mil if I remember correctly. I'm sure it was tied up nice and tight by RMEF, with respects to further development.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
in that case, and I'll assume it is, it seems to be the intent of the original owner would be met, no?

as an aside, I'll also assume the RMEF considered the implications this action may have on future potential bequests.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This was discussed at our recent chapter meeting and it was supposedly done with the families consent and they even kicked in more money to RMEF. Part of it was that RMEF had no experience in actually running a working ranch and it was consuming just too much time and money. The way it was explained to us, the family was happy with what they did and RMEF was happy to be out of the ranching business.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
bingo!

Originally Posted by OL article
DA: That�s right. What happened is that in 1999 or 2000 Bob was diagnosed with terminal cancer. When he found out, he approached the Elk Foundation and talked to us about finding a conservation buyer for the property. Long story short, that didn�t happen. Bob died before a buyer was found, and the land was gifted to the RMEF in 2002 with some very restrictive conditions. One of the biggest is that if the land was ever sold, it could only be sold to a conservation buyer, with a conservation easement in place.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hated to see it go. It was an opportunity for a fair number of people to hunt a ranch that they never could have hunted otherwise. I did the first management plan for RMEF when Bob Torstenson donated the easement, and continued to help with their grazing management for a few years after he died and the ranch went to RMEF. When RMEF acquired the ranch, the conservation easement was transferred to the Mule Deer Foundation and I assume that MDF still has it.

I will agree that RMEF didn't have a clue what to do with the ranch. They mainly wanted it to be a cash cow and that is not what ranches are. They struggled with several different managers and several sets of trustees, and the goals and objectives kept changing. The last 10-12 years of severe drought didn't help matters, either.

It will be interesting to see if the new owners can manage the resident elk herd which has grown too large for the ranch to support in an ecologically sound manner.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
also interesting in the article was the claim that RMEF was catching flak from hunters that they were using it as a "private preserve" for themselves.

I'm sure they are glad to be rid of it, endowment money aside. What a PITA, gifted it, have to run it at a profit, pressed by hunters to offer hunts under market value, and get accused of taking the best hunts for yourself besides.

no good deed goes unpunished!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It reminds me a little of the thing where the Nature Conservancy obtained a huge portion of Martha's Vinyard on the condition that it would always be preserved.
David Letterman wanted to build there and came in with an offer they couldn't refuse. Nature Conservancy reasoned that the money could do more to bennefit their objectives elsewhere. I never heard what the 'elsewhere' turned out to be.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
bingo!

Originally Posted by OL article
DA: That�s right. What happened is that in 1999 or 2000 Bob was diagnosed with terminal cancer. When he found out, he approached the Elk Foundation and talked to us about finding a conservation buyer for the property. Long story short, that didn�t happen. Bob died before a buyer was found, and the land was gifted to the RMEF in 2002 with some very restrictive conditions. One of the biggest is that if the land was ever sold, it could only be sold to a conservation buyer, with a conservation easement in place.

I don't know, and may be wrong, but I remember when they first picked up the ranch, that Bob was basically on his death bed and the family was approached about selling it for what was considered a huge price at the last minute, but he wanted it to go to RMEF, and said no deal. Perhaps it was not a "conservation" minded party that wanted to buy it, but, rather, a developer or something like that....I don't know....just hate how it went down with RMEF.

Also had no idea that the place had exceeded its carrying capacity...my buddy went there, spent 17 grand for a hunt and never saw anyting but a couple of spikes and a raghorn, with only one person taking a bull,and it was a 300-class 6x6.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What ever the reason, it was likely about $$$$$. RMEF does not have the skill or desire to run a business.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I sit on the RMEF board of directors, so feel free to ask if I can provide any answers. Most of the questions are answered in the link someone provided above to the Outdoor Life article.

RMEF received the ranch from the estate of Mr. Torestenson. The transfer and acceptance came with many restriction, one of which required a conservation easement be placed on the ranch to prevent impairment of the wildlife values of the property. When RMEF owned the ranch, they granted the protective conservation easement to Mule Deer Foundation, as you cannot hold your an easement on property you own. Since the sale happened last year, MDF has transferred the easement to RMEF, and now RMEF is on the hook for monitoring and enforcement of the terms and convenants of that easement places on the land.

RMEF could have decided to not accept the land, due to the restrictions that wold come with the land and the complications of running a ranch. RMEF knew they were not experienced at running a ranch operation and it would be a challenge. But, protecting the land in perpetuity was most important to RMEF and the family, so RMEF accepted the ranch, with the many restrictions/challenges, and worked to protect it.

Now that it is sold, some things to know about those sale proceeds.

The sales proceeds are held in a restricted endowment where RMEF can only use money when it has positive earnings. NONE OF THE PRINCIPAL FROM THE SALE CAN BE TOUCHED BY RMEF.

RMEF can only use earnings, which is capped at no more than 5% of the trust balance, annually. So, if the endowment fund loses money, RMEF gets none. If it only makes 2%, RMEF only gets 2%. If it makes 25%, RMEF only gets 5%. The family has set rules as to what RMEF mission-related work the money can be used for, and none of it can be used for overhead or administration.

This is how it should be. The Torstenson Family has been remarkably generous and committed to conservation. Whatever they want with the proceeds of this sale is how it should happen. It is their legacy and it should reflect the values they want expressed.

Though I was not on the board when the decision was made to accept the donation of this ranch, if that situation arose today, I would vote to accept the ranch and take the PR hit RMEF has taken by owning this ranch over the last decade.

In the end, nearly 100,000 acres of critical elk habitat gets put under conservation easement; a large restricted endownment is established that allows more conservation work to be acccomplished. To me, that is what is best for elk and other wildlife, and if it means a few PR hits to get it done, then so be it. That is the mission of RMEF and what conservation leadership is about.

Now, the goal is to find ways to use the endowment earnings in projects that fulfill the family legacy and serve the RMEF mission.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Randy.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Sounds like solid thinking to me at least.

Psuedo-Random Number Generator: 6.8 .338 .375 .45
Psuedo-Random Truck Generator: V8 Toyota w/ Overland Warehouse - Torsen - BFGoodrich
Go out and get it.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IF they have too many elk on it. Why dont they offer hunting on it as a draw unit so a working man like my self can have a chance of hunting and not spend thousands of dollars.
I guess its alway about the benjamins

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by BigFin
I sit on the RMEF board of directors, so feel free to ask if I can provide any answers. Most of the questions are answered in the link someone provided above to the Outdoor Life article.

RMEF received the ranch from the estate of Mr. Torestenson. The transfer and acceptance came with many restriction, one of which required a conservation easement be placed on the ranch to prevent impairment of the wildlife values of the property. When RMEF owned the ranch, they granted the protective conservation easement to Mule Deer Foundation, as you cannot hold your an easement on property you own. Since the sale happened last year, MDF has transferred the easement to RMEF, and now RMEF is on the hook for monitoring and enforcement of the terms and convenants of that easement places on the land.

RMEF could have decided to not accept the land, due to the restrictions that wold come with the land and the complications of running a ranch. RMEF knew they were not experienced at running a ranch operation and it would be a challenge. But, protecting the land in perpetuity was most important to RMEF and the family, so RMEF accepted the ranch, with the many restrictions/challenges, and worked to protect it.

Now that it is sold, some things to know about those sale proceeds.

The sales proceeds are held in a restricted endowment where RMEF can only use money when it has positive earnings. NONE OF THE PRINCIPAL FROM THE SALE CAN BE TOUCHED BY RMEF.

RMEF can only use earnings, which is capped at no more than 5% of the trust balance, annually. So, if the endowment fund loses money, RMEF gets none. If it only makes 2%, RMEF only gets 2%. If it makes 25%, RMEF only gets 5%. The family has set rules as to what RMEF mission-related work the money can be used for, and none of it can be used for overhead or administration.

This is how it should be. The Torstenson Family has been remarkably generous and committed to conservation. Whatever they want with the proceeds of this sale is how it should happen. It is their legacy and it should reflect the values they want expressed.

Though I was not on the board when the decision was made to accept the donation of this ranch, if that situation arose today, I would vote to accept the ranch and take the PR hit RMEF has taken by owning this ranch over the last decade.

In the end, nearly 100,000 acres of critical elk habitat gets put under conservation easement; a large restricted endownment is established that allows more conservation work to be acccomplished. To me, that is what is best for elk and other wildlife, and if it means a few PR hits to get it done, then so be it. That is the mission of RMEF and what conservation leadership is about.

Now, the goal is to find ways to use the endowment earnings in projects that fulfill the family legacy and serve the RMEF mission.

Thank you for your insight...much appreciated.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
So, does RMEF allow elk hunting on the properties they own, or not? If so, how do you get in line?

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
How in God’s name did you pull my post up from 2013???

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by postoak
So, does RMEF allow elk hunting on the properties they own, or not? If so, how do you get in line?
How much money you got?

RMEF got a really nice ranch out by Ringling locally.

No locals can hunt it, unless they are rich.

Or famous…

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 73 invisible), 2,948 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.