Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I moved to Fargo, ND in 03 or 04 during high school, so a yougin' by any stretch. Lived there long enough to know I'm going back, especially now that I'm educated and working.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by glenninjuneau
I "hear" ya can do that up Tracy Arm. Yankee basin is supposed to be a place to hike in to goat hunt, but I hear the trail is anything but friendly past a certain point. Most people I talk to usually fly into an alpine lake, and that can get spendy pretty quick. There is a bow hut area that is fairly easy access, if that is even possible with goats.

I've got a pard that has done 2 goat hunts with his bow somewhere in SE and i'm thinking this might be it. If it is, that hunt is very doable with a bow, he's 2 for 2 on that hunt.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I lived all over the state during my young adult years & even have a cabin in Haines. If it were me, I would concentrate on the wife thing first and before you marry her, make known your ultimate dream of moving to Alaska.

Single women tend to be few & far between. Locally raised gals are a piece of work. The only time I had a legit girlfriend was when they came up for the summer from the lower-48; about every 3rd year; then they went home for the winter.

I wouldn't consider myself a catch, but I have a lot of good things going for me, including very good jobs. Alaska is wonderful, but after my experience, I'm convinced it is for young or "young spirited" couples who are committed to one another & enjoy the outdoors.

If you don't believe me on the women thing, here are a few favorite sayings:
"No one gets divorced or breaks up, you just lose your turn."

"Alaska, where men are men & women are too!"

"Remember girls when you leave Alaska you're ugly again."

As far as where to live, get back to me after you find your soul mate.

I did it backward, moved North, moved South, Just married relatively recently and will be moving back North again when my boys are close to finishing college. Save the round trip and take a good gal up with you, then get back to me for details on relocating.

I would say generally speaking, if they like snow & weather, & you can get back down in the lower-48 during the holiday to visit family & such, they will enjoy it. It's all about having a good attitude & sense of humor.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's a of of marriages in remote Alaska, that can't take the move "Outside"; and there's a lot of "Outside" marriages that can't take remote Alaska.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kushtekaa
I lived all over the state during my young adult years & even have a cabin in Haines. If it were me, I would concentrate on the wife thing first and before you marry her, make known your ultimate dream of moving to Alaska.

Single women tend to be few & far between. Locally raised gals are a piece of work. The only time I had a legit girlfriend was when they came up for the summer from the lower-48; about every 3rd year; then they went home for the winter.

I wouldn't consider myself a catch, but I have a lot of good things going for me, including very good jobs. Alaska is wonderful, but after my experience, I'm convinced it is for young or "young spirited" couples who are committed to one another & enjoy the outdoors.

If you don't believe me on the women thing, here are a few favorite sayings:
"No one gets divorced or breaks up, you just lose your turn."

"Alaska, where men are men & women are too!"

"Remember girls when you leave Alaska you're ugly again."

As far as where to live, get back to me after you find your soul mate.

I did it backward, moved North, moved South, Just married relatively recently and will be moving back North again when my boys are close to finishing college. Save the round trip and take a good gal up with you, then get back to me for details on relocating.

I would say generally speaking, if they like snow & weather, & you can get back down in the lower-48 during the holiday to visit family & such, they will enjoy it. It's all about having a good attitude & sense of humor.

Certainly some wisdom here, but like any good youngin' I am genetically inclined to ignore some of it grin
Besides

[Linked Image]

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I appreciate your honesty & that being the case I would suggest the Anchorage or surrounding area (Palmer, Willow, Eagle R, etc.). There are more available gals there, jobs, plenty of hiking, & you can readily access good parts of the state by road. You can explore on the weekends and find out what you like without overcommiting to one area.

If you further your career and want to move I would suggest the Kenai area / Homer, Kodiak, or Southeast, Alaska except Juneau. At least visit Juneau for a week in the winter to see if you like it because IMO it has some of the worst weather in the state or at least the worst combination of wet & cold, plus you are hemmed in with no place to go unless you have a deep-V boat & then you can only use that pushing about 8 months out of the year.

The interior is possible, it does have good hunting for moose & caribou. If you watch the TV series called "Yukon Men" on the Discovery channel that will give you a good idea of the interior portion of the state at least on the big rivers.

My favorite places in Alaska are Tenakee Springs, Haines, Homer, & Cooper Landing. Mind you these are fairly small places, especially the first and the last, but to me you are living right in the thick of the wilderness everyday. Resources are slim or high priced so you have to some ingenuity to get by. Also, I believe that having mechanical skills are the best skill you can have for the state because you are constantly jumping in a truck, on a 4-wheeler, snow machine, boat, etc... & that stuff just doesn't like to run in the cold & wet sometimes.

Good Luck in whatever your endeavours

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Well, trails ain't much here in Kotz, but you could hike 40 miles down the beach no problem. Buying a house could be a bit tricky too (very limited), but the rest is all here.

God knows we need some IT expertise here.

We joke (OK- it's not a joke) that they walk electrons up here one at a time at gunpoint...

GCI and OTZ are our internet providers.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by las
that they walk electrons up here one at a time at gunpoint

I good quite the chuckle from that one.

Any good talking points would be greatly appreciated, so feel free to continue the discussion.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by George_in_SD

Birmingham, AL where I am currently is painful, hot, humid, horrible, hectic, and high-strung.

You should've picked Huntsville, one of the nicest towns in the SE.

Of course, I'd still rather be in AK, or MT.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ole' [bleep]?

I've been to Jims gun and pawn IIRC on the name; was quite a nice gunshop in a terrible black area of town.

I wasn't too impressed driving through the city on a few occasions, but that does not say much.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Craigslist Seattle, etc.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by cwh2
Juneau is one of very few places I'd recommend visiting in the summer to see just how bad it gets, before you move.

Between the politicians, the hippies, and the tourists, it wouldn't be in my top 10, but there are jobs there. As much as I dislike Anchorage, I prefer the options here. I don't mean to insult anyone's home - Juneau itsself is a great place, but like a lot of great places it is overrun with a-holes.

Agreed. Juneau just doesn't have it.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
http://alaskaslist.com/1_Alaska/

Alaska List; in case nobody already gave you the link. Real estate for sale by owner mostly

There is a time... to refrain from embracing
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
some good info here....I like where I'm at ...nobody for miles...no jobs for miles....and no food stamp sourdoughs,for at least 15 miles that I know of....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

662 members (10ring1, 16penny, 10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,866
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.