-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Talk to me about a Cutts/Poly choke. Im looking at a gun that has one, I love the gun just not sure about the Cutts. These were the "choke tube" option of the past but what else, if anything do they do/offer? Any down side, other than looks, to em?

thanks

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The best thing I can say about them is that if you unscrew the barrel of a Model 12 that has one on it and replace it with a clean barrel, you're left with a decent club with a grip handle. They are detestable plug ugly ways to run the appearance (and value) of some nice shotguns.

Their best use is as a rectal gauge to know you've properly shoved it far enough in before you touch off a round to teach an idiot not to put them on shotguns.

It is quite easy to adjust loads to much tighter patterns out of open barrels like skeet or IC and have very nice even full choke (or tighter)patterns.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
As much as Miles58 detests them I like them, it was the choke of choice of skeet shooters in the 60's. Back then I could shoot a round of skeet in the evening, hunt geese in the morning and grouse and woodcock in the afternoon with the same gun.

If I could find a nice Double Auto with a Cutts for a reasonable price I'd jump on it.

Downsides, to some they look ugly but then they hang a can on their rifle and think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I've heard that plastic wads can get hung up in them but never had it happen to me.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, I have never owned a gun that had one so I dont know what to think. Maybe I need to give one a go...........

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They sure make an otherwise pretty shotgun ugly............

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I shot one on a Remington 1100, in competition years ago. They added a bit of weight to the barrel which was a good thing back then. They also throw incredibly even patterns with little center density. Check your point of impact as they were often installed wrong.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimdgc
They added a bit of weight to the barrel

Which is good for standing still and swinging, not so much for carrying. Had a factory Cutts on a nice Model 31 a while back, it carried noticeably more barrel heavy than my others.

But it shot fine, and didn't seem much noisier if at all.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by passport
Talk to me about a Cutts/Poly choke. Im looking at a gun that has one, I love the gun just not sure about the Cutts. These were the "choke tube" option of the past but what else, if anything do they do/offer? Any down side, other than looks, to em?

thanks

If it's on a Browning A5 please let me know.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

thanks

Sure is.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
passport, I never owned one.. Passed on a number of guns that had them only because there was none of the tubes to go with the gun.. Only the one in the system.. I guess if I came across a pump that had the Cutts system, and chokes, I would give it a try..
I have some where an article about Hemingway buying a model 12 with a Cutts on it.. As I remember he loved it for shooting upland game in Idaho.. Pretty impressive for a guy who owned some of the finest doubles ever made...If you buy, let us know how you like it...

Molon Labe
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Back in the late 50s and early 60s, I think that it was required by law for a used shotgun to have one installed (if it didn't already have one) before it could be placed in a display rack for sale.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

thanks

Sure is.

Does it have the safety inside the trigger guard at the front?

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

thanks

Sure is.

Does it have the safety inside the trigger guard at the front?

Front, its not a bump safety

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Had a poly-choke on a Win. Mod.50 for a while. If you bumped that choke against anything, the point of impact changed.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,992
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.