Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Been looking into small (3.5 HP) outboards to push a 10 ft Jon Boat.

There doesn�t seem to be much difference between Tohatsu, Nissan, Mercury or Suzuki. I believe they are all made by Tohatsu. Does anyone believe there is any difference ?

There are several �on line� dealers, can anyone recommend one ?

�On-line Outboards�
�Boats-Net�
�Small Outboards�

Anything I should know before plunking down a grand on a tiny motor ?

MOLON LABE
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm interested in one of same but sure wish there were a twin cylinder available......the above mentioned are noisy vibrating things......I miss my 65 Evinrude Ducktwin.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Portable sized outboards made by Mercury, Tohatsu, Nissan and now Evinrude all all made by a joint venture between Tohatsu and Mercury in Japan. As far as I know, Suzuki makes all of their their outboards. From what I have seen, here in the U.S. the Nissan and Tohatsu brands carry a slightly lower price, in part I believe because they have a limited dealer network. Don't expect to get warranty repairs on your Tohatsu from a Mercury dealer, even though the portable models are identical.

I agree, in my mind the older 2 stroke Johnson and Evinrude outboards were some of the best marine engines ever made. I'm basing this on the fact that there have been several in the family since I was a kid and if you kept new plugs in them they would run well with minimal upkeep.

You'd be surprised what is out there in terms of older outboards for sale. If you're patient and keep searching Ebay and Craigslist, you can find some Johnson/Evinrudes that are in near new condition. Depending on age, new coils, plugs, and points and condenser for earlier engines along with a new thermostat and water pump impeller will give you an engine that will provide years of dependable service. I should know, I currently have about 6 - maybe more - Johnson/Evinrude engines, including a new in the crate 2004 Johnson 50hp 2 stroke. 2005 was the last year for the old loop charged Johnson 2 strokes, so perhaps it has some value. I don't know if I should mount it on a boat or seal it away in some time capsule. Maybe I'll put it on display at my cabin and just look at it.

Last edited by walt501; 06/26/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree that there are lots of good used outboards out there. The best one I have ever had was a 6 hp Mercury from 1963. It was a twin cylinder with the exhaust under water. It did not vibrate at all. I used it to fish lakes in a drift boat. I bought it for $250 and sold it for $300. There are plenty of good used motors for $200.I like the Evinrude and Mercury motors best.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I'm in California, there are some lakes that ban 2 strokes.
I was advised by local fishing gurus that in the future, more and more lakes and waterways will forbid the use of 2 strokes.

MOLON LABE
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
California makes their own rules.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
For small boats 12 ft. or less/ canoes, etc. I'd recommend an old Evinrude or Johnson 3HP made from the early 1950's through the late 1960's. They are 2 stroke, 2 cylinder, water-cooled, smooth, and about as reliable it gets. The Evinrudes were called Lightwins and the Johnsons were IIRC Sea Horses. The Evinrudes were a little fancier and came in shades of blue and grey, occasionally white and two-tone. They even made a special one in drab green for duck hunters called the Ducktwin! The Johnsons were less fancy and white or green solid colors. They had a self contained tank (~1/3 gallon) and weigh ~32#. They obviously are very "portable" and will troll all day long on <1 gallon "mixed" gas! More rare versions included a long shaft model and a "collapsible" model, called a Yachtwin that could be carried in a case and designed for sailboats.

The beauty of these motors is their dependability, portability, and simplicity. They can be purchased for $100-$400 depending on model and condition from local classifieds, boat shops, Craig's list, and E-bay. These motors were built overseas in Belgium and were in one word... quality pieces with exquisite craftsmanship explaining their longevity. Seals, gaskets, ignition, and carb kits are still available from OMC and even NAPA. Lower units, shafts, props, tanks, etc. are available from multiple sources like E-bay and upper Midwestern shops where these motors were the mainstays for many years before everything got "bigger, better, faster, and more expensive" with modern times!!!

The older I get, I often reflect on my now 50+ years and realize the frequent truth in the statement "less is more". In my life, this applies to many things including fishing gear, boats, and motors. I know my experiences are personal to me, but simple, quality boats, canoes, motors, and gear, and family heirlooms have made for the most memorable, enjoyable, and many times the most successful fishing trips, usually on smaller waters!!! My grandfather's 1954 Lightwin (used and abused, but loved!), my father's 1952? Lightwin (purchased in 1970 for $75 and found wrapped in a blanket "like new"), and my 1958 98% Ducktwin (I "spied" it out under a gentleman's camper on a drive through our campground while on a fishing trip to Montana... he was the original owner from Wisconsin and sold it to me 2 years later after getting together in West Yellowstone on a fishing trip because he was getting older, didn't use it that much, and knew I was keenly interested in it!!!)

Longwinded way to tell you about these neat motors, but, they and the associated memories are the main reasons I still enjoy fishing and shooting a few ducks here and there over decoys on smaller waters. Hopefully, my son and nephews, perhaps even daughters will someday enjoy them as much as I have... life's simple pleasures!!! Less is more.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I guess i could buy an older 2 stroke, and use the money I save to pay the tickets for using a 2 stroke motor on a lake where 2 strokes are illegal.

MOLON LABE
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had the 3-1/2 hp Nissan 2-stroke which was identical/made by Tohatsu; had only forward & neutral. Really a great little motor and super lightweight. Yamaha makes one of the best small 2-stroke outboards--I've owned the 6 hp and presently the 3 hp which has F-N-R and is much heavier than the Nissan 3-1/2 hp. Also had the Suzuki 4 hp 2-stroke which was excellent.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I give up.
Never mind.

MOLON LABE
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Buy the two stroke and use the savings to MOVE.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Merc has been doing a joint venture
but in all fairness I think that Tohatsu has been making pretty good small motors
the problem with most 4 strokes is they are just darn heavy

But the older 2 cylinder 2 strokes were quite good If anyone needs an older 2 cyl 6 hp Johnson in MI I have one thats been sitting for a while its a long shaft

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The smaller 4 strokes aren't as bad as the larger displacements as far as weight is concerned. Most of the people I know who have them like them... fuel efficient, quiet, and smooth. I just don't know of any "cheap" ones. Seems like even the cheap looking air-cooled ones made by Briggs and Stratton go for ~$500-600. 4 strokes are still relatively new technology with few on the used market compared to the the older 2 stokes.

If you have to have one in California then go for it! It will cost you a little "coin" up front but go with a good 4 stroke name like Yamaha, Honda, etc., take meticulous care of it, and spread the cost over a lifetime of enjoyment (the little 4 strokes will likely go forever too!). I suspect it will look like a pretty good investment in the rear view mirror!!!

I've been looking for a good reason to try one, but just haven't done it yet. I have yet to tire of the smells and nostalgia of the older outboards!

PS If they make a 4 stroke with a self contained tank I'd recommend it highly, especially for smaller boats and canoes where space is at a premium and you don't want to trip on hoses, etc.

Good luck!

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Anaconda
I give up.
Never mind.

Everyone's telling you to buy a used 2-stroke because it makes the most sense for the $. But, because you heard there were 2 lakes somewhere in California that didn't allow 2-strokes, you are convinced you need to spend $1,000+ on a new 4-stroke. If cost and weight are none of your concerns, buy the new 4. You can Google tests and owner reviews on just about any motor.

The Tohatsu-made 3.5 hp 2s is 28 vs 41 lbs for the 4s.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Things to look at when buying small outboard. If it has been sitting for awhile and has metal tank, look for rust in tank. Replace if there are any signs of rust and get plastic tank. Before heading out, squeeze primer ball and look for sign of gas leaks under the hood. Most of the time a little tighten
at source will suffice. Run mixture with "Sea Foam" with any boat fuel. Sheilds mosture from drawing into fuel and keeps boogies from forming. Worked wonders with my Evinrude 50 HP. The 50 would not idle. After 3 or so gallons with Sea Foam, it has been idling and running great for past 3 years. Boat is in the water from March to October. My little 9.9 Johnson troller runs so much better on high test than 87 oct. Just my experience, the little motor labor rates are same as big ones. I hope this saves some grief for some people out there.

RIDE HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND DON'T LIE !!

Trying to get to the point in life where all I need is
BEER.....BEANS...and...AMMO

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,356 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,660
Posts18,455,690
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.