Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You guys just gave me a great idea for an invention. I'm filing.

Thanks!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There are no mass-produced commercial rods that can deliver optimum performance. The best route is to have a rod made from the finest of rare materials that is custom-fitted to your barrel. If a person is not willing to spend the necessary money to go first-class, the next best thing is to buy a commercial rod and discard both the handle and the rod. The handles on commerical rods are either wood, which will warp, or some inferior composite that lacks the necessary stiffness to do the job properly and should be replaced with one that is hand-laid up to the exact contours of your hand. As for the replacement rod, the debate over material is never-ending. A person just has to make a choice and live with the knowledge that no matter what he chose, he is wrong.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Don't really need a rod at all - just blow the jags and brushes through the barrel with CO2 or a regulator off a SCUBA tank air source (handy for pre-charged air guns. No chance of reversing in the bore either. But it does pay to have a catcher at the far end.

An especially easy adaptation is to put a hose adapter in the Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gage Modified Case with its threaded base and then use cleaning felts from air guns in the case neck. Marketing tip: pre-saturated cleaning felts.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
5sdad,

Actually, what you need is a tactical "stealth" cleaning rod with an extra-large bolt handle, coated in the latest super-synthetic coating that's not only non-abrasive but invisible to the human eye. That way nobody can tell what the rod is, so they can't accuse you of using a cleaning rod that was absolutely necessary last year but oh-so yesterday now.

However, you should leave the bolt handle uncoated, in case you need to find the rod again.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
JB: Im glad Im not still in the gun biz....guaranteed there will be people in the store asking for one of those tomorrow just because you wrote it..

Probably to clean their .29B.S. rifles....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Naw, everybody knows B-29's don't ever need cleaning. Just another amazing attribute of the perfect all-around cartridge.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Don't those bullets have counter rotating jackets and cores so they're immune to spin drift?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
Don't those bullets have counter rotating jackets and cores so they're immune to spin drift?

Actually, the opposite rotation of the core and jacket is based on the design of the "Bell" developed in Nazi Germany and creates a state of weightlessness until such time that the rotations fall below a certain point. This, of course, extends the range of the cartridge in question.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
At first I was thought the B-29's bullets actually ROSE in flight, but more testing showed they just didn't drop nearly as much as NASA's ballistic program suggested.

They do, however, flip deer and elk on their backs and field-dress 'em--though only with "proper" bullet placement.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Do these bullets come pre-salted? You know, because you don't want the meat to spoil before you get to it since the animal was killed nearly into the next county or beyond.

IC B3

I've had a Dewey nylon coated rod for 8 years. It has served me well, never any problems.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by mathman

Actually, the opposite rotation of the core and jacket is based on the design of the "Bell" developed in Nazi Germany and creates a state of weightlessness until such time that the rotations fall below a certain point. This, of course, extends the range of the cartridge in question.

This, of course, is called the Bell Curve.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Carbon fiber, stainless steel, coated, whatever. Use one of these:

http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/954882.htm

Steve
Oregon

Last edited by ol_skool; 07/06/13.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Steve,
I go further than that and use TK Nolan's bore guide.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
butchlambert1:

Yup, Cadillac!

A good bore guide is more important than the material of the rod.

Steve
Oregon

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I believe you, everybody needs to keep their rods clean.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm still using my old Parker-Hale rods.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I have a few Deweys and I think the bearings and handles are crap. The have balls riding against plastic. The best rods I have are Bore Tech but there may well be better ones.

This. Tiptons have good bearings too.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on Dewey coated rods and Lucas bore guides.

The newer rods have better bearings and you can get dewey to make extensions to have the handle out past the end of the butt to avoid the monte carlo issue. Their plastic coating is 2-3x as thick as Bore Techs and will not peel.

Had 6 Bore Tech rods that the coating totally peeled off. Took me 6 months dealing with Bore Tech to get new rods (which I immediately sold) back after I sent them in.

Forget carbon fiber, I have seen too many issues with carbon fiber arrows to have my hands pushing them!!!!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

320 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 29aholic, 48 invisible), 1,717 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,433
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.