Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I believe this is my first post in this forum. Hope someone has some ideas that will apply to my request.

I've got some chunks of un-steaked backstrap in the freezer and I'd like to try wrapping one in foil and cooking it in the coals of a campfire. BTW, these pieces of strap are about 6 inches long.

I'm not much of a cook, so this has to be pretty simple or I won't attempt it. Has anyone tried this? Can you offer any advice on cook time and seasoning?

Thanks.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
EEZY PEEZY.

Cut backstrap into medallions. Simmer medallions sprinkled with Montreal steak seasoning in butter and diced garlic cloves in cast iron skillet on coals till done to your liking. S&P to taste.

Yuuuuuuummmmmmmm.

Denny.

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
Season with salt pepper and garlic powder wrap in bacon strips and grill till Med rare
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
EEZY PEEZY.

Cut backstrap into medallions. Simmer medallions sprinkled with Montreal steak seasoning in butter and diced garlic cloves in cast iron skillet on coals till done to your liking. S&P to taste.

Yuuuuuuummmmmmmm.

Denny.

Medallions in a cast iron pan with butter. Right before they're done,pour a slug of REAL maple syrup in the pan.
Don't look away or they'll be overdone.
You know, it's a punishable crime to overcook backstrap.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I take a good chunk, butterfly it, chop up some jarred jalepenos, mix them in cream cheese, stuff it in there, wrap with bacon, set on smoker for 6 beers at 200.

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
Keith's got it down except to well done for me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

It was too well done but my wife was eating it too cry

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
I got one that wants shoe leather too

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by eh76

It was too well done but my wife was eating it too cry

A close friend's mother, a dear lady I've known since I was in second grade, requires her husband to cook her steaks at least medium well. She's tried every butcher in town, various marinades, and a jacquard but she still can't consistently get a tender juicy steak. I wonder why? crazy grin

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
welcome to my world..............

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Grill it whole to a med rare. Take it off and let it rest while you cut up some purple cabbage. Saut� the cabbage in a skillet with some EVO, a little sea salt and ground pepper. When it's done to your liken have the tenderloin cut up in bite size strips and toss it in the cabbage and heat up, stir around, get a bowl and enjoy. Have not had ANYONE not come back for more after tasting....

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Olive oil, Montreal seasoning(or just salt, pepper, and garlic), grill whole to 125-130 internal, let it rest for 10-15 minutes and enjoy. 120 degrees initial if you like rare and even better.

*Jeez Kieth, can't you just throw her portion back on the grill until it's worthless? Make two different portions to begin with? That looks damn good, but sad too. frown

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All the above look good and are ways of dealing with a whole backstrap but here is what bruin asked:

I've got some chunks of un-steaked backstrap in the freezer and I'd like to try wrapping one in foil and cooking it in the coals of a campfire. BTW, these pieces of strap are about 6 inches long.

Yeah, bruin you can do this. Now unless you brown your back strap in a skillet first when you unwrap the foil packet the meat will not look too appetizing but it will taste and eat good. It will be steamed/boiled more than roasted but will be fine eating just not fine looking especially. wink
First lay out a sheet of foil big enough to wrap around your backstrap pieces. Slice some onions and potatoes and give them a sprinkle of garlic powder, little salt and pepper, not too much, Rub your meat chunks with season salt and lay them on top of your onions and spuds. If you are going to cook pretty quick or within a couple of hours it won't hurt to put a couple of chunks of butter in there. Wrap the whole deal up and use a drug store wrap to seal the package.

When you're ready to cook just throw the packet(s) on the coals and set back. In maybe 30 minutes or so (depends on how hot your coals are, the weather etc etc. This ain't an exact science) rake out your meat packets and carefully cut a slit or poke a hole in the top side. Sit them back on or near the fire to burn off some of the liquid as steam. When they quit puffing vapor take them out and eat them, unwrap them first.

When you first start doing this you will screw up some. Some burnt to a crisp and some raw but hang with it and you will get the way pretty soon.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for all the great suggestions (and pics!), I think Boggy hit the nail on the head with his suggestion as I was looking for a foil packet kind of recipe.

Boggy, what's a drug store wrap?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Drug Store Wrap is the way of folding the foil. I never can remember without googling. If you do a google image search of drug store wrap it will come up for you.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Cheesy. I'll look it up. (don't know why I didn't think of doing that crazy)

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, whaddya know? I've been doing the drug store wrap for years. laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Season with salt pepper and garlic powder wrap in bacon strips and grill till Med rare
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

...and if you want it to REALLY good, split it and put cream cheese and jalapenos in it before doing as Dan says.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got one that wants shoe leather too

That is my MIL. She wants her burgers to be like hockey pucks. I leave hers on the grill extra time...about 15-20 minutes extra. YUCK!

My wife tries to be like that, but the funny thing is, she eats steak almost everytime we go to my parents house, and my father leaves it nice and pink/red in the middle. She never complains about the taste...just that she worries that it might be raw.

Haha!

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

393 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 31 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,796
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.