24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The aurora is not controlled by a 'switch'.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cwh2,

Well done, man. Well done. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sorry, I don't know the exchange rate for alaska money.
Yea, the glacier is made of styrofoam.
Sorry, the cleaning crew has not got around to cleaning the glacier yet.
I need to look at a tide chart to figger the altitude.
30/06, 30/06, 30/06, and a 30/06 is all ya need.

Good luck, good hunting, and good times.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This should be a stickey here and in the Campfire forum.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by muledeer
I've been told by several "visitors" that you have much higher elevations when you're this far north...

This is one of the best sets of information I've seen done...great work! We all own one to Chris.

Dennis

It's because we live at such a high "altitude", our "altitude" is generally 60� or greater, don'tcha know?

Originally Posted by glenninjuneau
Sorry, I don't know the extortion rate for alaska money.

"If you have to ask........"

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ryoushi
Sheep, Goat, Brown/Grizzly Bear. You are good on Deer, Black Bear, Caribou, Elk, Bison, Wolves and Moose. Of course it doesn't make sense.

Fixed for ya!

Thanks Art, done.

Don't forget, "Yes we accept American money."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would to see you, your wife, and son, but I haven't left for parts north for about half a dozen years. Let's set up a call and catch up...we do miss you guys...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What am I...chopped liver? smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I told the kid to be home before dark, didn't see him for 3 months.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Excellent post all around! And sadly, so very true in almost all of the answers...

Ret USN
NRA Life, NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ..... lasts forever.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Took me a while to understand the "racial slur" answer, but did eventually. Other wise, I think I know the Questions to all those answers. I'm a true-blue AK wannabe. Except, well, I've never owned an A-bort.

Scott

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks in advance! I'm planning a summer 2017 trip to AK. I promise to pull over at every turnout and get the heck out of everyone elses way. smile

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jswbga
Thanks in advance! I'm planning a summer 2017 trip to AK. I promise to pull over at every turnout and get the heck out of everyone elses way. smile

Holy planning!!! I don't' even know what I'm doing this afternoon let alone 4 years from now wink

C
cwh2 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I expect we'll have the hover-cars by then, possibly a bridge across Turnigain arm, and certainly jetpacks. So maybe passing lanes won't be as much of an issue.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HAHA....for sure!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The stretch from palmer to glenallen is terrible. They even posted signs to inform the slow moving vehicles that if 5 or more cars are behind you, you are required by law to pull over and let them go by. But people can't read or something.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You Alaskaphiles seem to be a stuffy lot! Guess that's cuz you have to endure Sep-May while we vacationeers clog your roads when the sun shines the longest. When I visit (not nearly often enough) I rent the slowest, biggest RV I can find and drive south to the Kenai peninsula and look for Ironbender and swerve left if he tries to pass. Then I go to the local convenience stores and buy up all the beer so BeerHunter has to do without.

Mostly the reason we ask the same questions again and again is we suffer from severe envy. In our eyes you're living our dream and it's fun, reassuring, comforting, etc. hearing it first-hand. Finally, thanks to all of you for suffering our daily assaults on your peaceful lives.

To reciprocate ... if y'all need any information for a trip to Illinois, I'll be happy to provide any and all! But I'm not paying for that keyboard you just destroyed with bodily fluids.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by jswbga

Holy planning!!! I don't' even know what I'm doing this afternoon let alone 4 years from now wink

yes, I'm a bit of a planner. smile

the trip will be (as slated so far....) 70 days in total. Spending a week working my way to Seattle, taking the ferry to Ketchikan, then moving northwards, town by town, river by river, trout by salmon, grayling by bear, wolf by glacier, observing what happens when God decides to show off a bit. smile

On a side note.... my camper is a bumper pull hybrid with soft walls. its nice and lightweight (better mileage, easier to tow).

would you locals consider the soft walls a liability vs the local bear population? I realize they can come into danged near anything they decide to get into.... but am I asking for trouble in a soft walled camper?

(am I an idiot for trying, or a pansy for asking?)

we don't have a lot of bears in my corner of Texas.....

shane

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
C
cwh2 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
That sounds like a great trip! Your trailer will be fine. Bring 2 spare tires....

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Dave,

Wasn't sure we'd see you or not this summer. As I've done with 22lr, I also did with beer. I snuck a feed line into the local micro-brewery when it was under construction and the beer hasn't stopped flowing since! Hope that wont put a crimp on yer planning for the next trip... smile

Mark

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 77 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.