Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Frm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Can anyone recommend a top notch, ultralight spinning outfit for trout (and some bass). I'm going fishing in upper Maine and I want to use the right gear . . . thanks for the imput

"We've had enough of exhortations to be silent! Cry out with a hundred thousand tongues! I see that the world is rotten because of silence!"
St. Catherine of Sienna
GB2

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Calling Ingwe! I think he's caught "a few" fish on ultralight gear (pike and trout, anyways).

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I'm a cheap bastard so I don't like to have a number of rods for specific purposes. I use a Shimano Symetre 2500 reel on a 6 foot ML St. Croix Premier rod. The rod is OK.

Last edited by JDK; 07/12/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depends on how much you want to spend. Shimano Symetre 1000 for around $100 or Shimano Sienna 1000 for around $25/30. They both work fine. There's other good ones out there if you don't like those. 4lb line and any good quality ultralight rod from 5' to 61/2'. You can spend a lot here or less and still have something that will do the job. Bass Pro or Berkley make some ultralights that are reasonably priced.

F
Frm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thanks folks for the imput

"We've had enough of exhortations to be silent! Cry out with a hundred thousand tongues! I see that the world is rotten because of silence!"
St. Catherine of Sienna
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JDK
I'm a cheap bastard so I don't like to have a number of rods for specific purposes. I use a Shimano Symetre 2500 reel on a 6 foot ML St. Croix Premier rod. The rod is OK.

That is an EXCELLENT rod and just about perfect for small crankbaits on smallmouth water. A tad large/heavy for stocker trout but it'll work. I have the Premier in the 6'/light and the 6'6" ML is a Triumph.

You didn't say how you are getting to the fish. Hike? Canoe? I ask because you should consider the 4-piece rods it so. The imported Triumph series rods from St. Croix come with this little bogus "sleeve" but the Premier rods come with a proper hard carry case. Factor needing to find and buy a case into your buying decision if you pick the cheaper rod.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you really mean "top notch", then look at the Shimano Stradic reels on up. Otherwise, for a good bang/buck ratio, I vote for the Shimano Symetre.

I like St Croix rods as well, and use two different Premiers. a 5'6" UL and 6'6" L. All though if I were really thinking "top notch", I'd be looking at the St Croix Avid or Legend series. G Loomis would also be on the table.

Looking at the low end of "top notch" you'd be out about $200 for a Symetre/Premier combination. High end - over a grand for a Shimano Stella/Loomis GLX reel/rod outfit.

My personal outfit that I use for light bass/panfish, is the St Croix Premier 6'6" Light, 2 piece (for travel) combined with either a Symetre 2500 reel for bass, or a Symetre 500 reel for panfish. I've caught 8 lb carp on that setup. as well as was casting small Clouser flies (less than 1/32 oz) on 2 lb line to White Bass. In absolutely no way do I feel like I need more. Want, on the other hand, has me lusting after a Stradic/Avid combo wink

Scott

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Calling Ingwe! I think he's caught "a few" fish on ultralight gear (pike and trout, anyways).

A few.......

We ( Ingwewife and I...) currently use Shimano Sedona in size 750...excellent reel for the price, and Shimano 5'6" ultralight rods ( cant remember the model but the sell for $50-$60). Loaded with #10 fireline the whole outfit is just under $100 and will provide a long service life..

We usually catch stuff like this on them....

[Linked Image]

But we also-as mentioned- use them on pike...Ingwewife got this one last week...

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
F
Frm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thanks Ingwe, Chief of the chieftains, for the advice. I picked up a Sedona 500 and a 1000 with 10 lb power pro and light fluorocarbon leaders. These will be matched with 5'6" ultralight rods.
We will hike to some small, Brookie streams:however, we will also fish for bass (and maybe some landlocked salmon) from a boat on the lake.
Beautiful pictures of your pike and brownie - I hope we are as fortunate.
Great suggestions from all of you guys . . .
Now, who has the "magic" lure/bait suggestion?

St. Catherine of Sienna
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Brookies and other trouts like Panther Martins....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You can catch bass on the Ultralight too...at least Smallmouths... grin

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's a four pounder I caught yesterday on four pound test.

[Linked Image]

Cast iron + butter + salt & pepper + whole wheat toast = breakfast for four! smile

Ted

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
I started with a Mitchell 408 and 5'6" Herter's rod.

Have several Shimano's and Diawa's now, and though I still have several 5'6" rods I use a 7 foot UL rod now and with that rig the biggest fish was about 15# carp on a Mepps.

Took a while before I even controlled the action enough to see the fish. 4# test line does no give one the ability to horse a fish around.

Same rig with a different lure has accounted for several really nice smallmouths and one 27 incher.

Have not fished cold water much since I got the long rod, but it did well on the Conejos the last time I did. The long rod is nice on the open rivers, but would never work on some of the small streams I used to fish in NM and CO.

Like Ingwe said, the fireline seems to be the cats meow. I have some 10 pound test (on his recommendation)and it is is small and supple as the 4 lb test I use.

I have yet to spool any on a reel though and that is MY fault..

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
How do you fish flies on spinning gear? (He asks with his nose held so high that he'll drown like a turkey if it rains.) smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The Clouser flies he mentioned are large minnow imitators.

[Linked Image]

Some are four to five inches long and have weighted heads. Some weigh as much or more than a small Rapala - so they are indeed castable with a UL rig. I have some articulated hellgramite "flies" that are equally castable, and are smallmouth killers.

Last edited by RockyRaab; 08/03/13.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Little bubble floats slip bobber style. Once saw one with a little rubber stopper in the side so you could fill with just enough water. Came from France I think.

[Linked Image]

Or not. I've had fun playing with small perch off the end of a dock with a wet fly on an UL spinning rig. Water in the fly gives enough weight to get a few feet out. Almost all too small to get hooked but it was fun leading the parade back and forth.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My ultralight trout quiver consists of Shimano Ci4 Stradic 1000's with Loomis TJR 561 and 720 rods. I stick with four pound mono or fluorocarbon. They are very light outfits. I upgraded last year after fishing a Penn 4200SS with a Loomis SR 6010 IMX since 1993.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't like the action on any spinning rod short of 6' that I've yet to own and have come to like the ability to cast small/light/soft bait farther with longer "crappie-type" rods. When we were in CO, I caught a few trout drifting a #14 Montana nymph under a #10 Irresistible with a clear casting bubble on 4# test via an older Mitchell 310 and a 6'6" Berkley Trout Dough rod. Even got a couple of doubles after a trout hit the Irresistible and gave the nymph some action. The trout seemed to be less bothered by the dry fly as a strike indicator than they did with "regular" foam strike indicators.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
For my upcoming trip to ingwe country, I dug out my UL rod only to discover that some critter had eaten the foam grips. So yesterday I went down to Sportsmans Warehouse and waved a bunch of skinny little sticks. The one I came home with not only felt the best to me but turned out to be the least expensive one there - and I never looked at the prices until after I'd decided which to buy.

It's an Okuma Celilo 6' that'll handle 1/32 to 1/4 oz on 2-8# line. Sweet, sweet caster. Haven't bent it double with a monster yet, but I hope to. I have a small Shimano reel and 4# line on it.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Rocky Ive ben using the Okuma Celilo in a 4'9" for quite awhile. Very pleasant little rod. I like a bit longer one, about 5'6" for the fishing we will be doing because it increases casting distance in the low clear water and makes it so you spook less fish. That 6 footer oughta be skookum, especially for this one place I have in mind..... whistle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to use 4# mono for years on my u/l rods, but also lost alot of lures. Going to 6# sacrificed a tad of casting distance, but I rarely loose lures anymore.

Need to head out on some lakes with some 1/4oz kastmasters and little cleos before they freeze up. Deadly combo on rainbows.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
681 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,973 guests, and 1,431 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.