Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Does anyone have a pheasant forecast for SE SoDak and NE Nebraska?
<br>
<br>Thanks

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Opening day crowded, with occasional flurries of shots, windy at the bar later. LOL

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

What part ofSE SD are you talking about? I'm in Union County , and the bird #'s are looking better than in years past.
<br>
<br>Good Luck,
<br>
<br>Jason

VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Jason,
<br>
<br>Brookings will be our primary area with a day or two at Platte....
<br>
<br>Thanks
<br>
<br>Vern

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Vern, how 'bout a ptarmy and sharptail forcast. You probably don't want us guys from Los Anchorage invading your private spots...:).pak

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
IC B2

VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
PAK,
<br>
<br>I'm afraid the forecast is dismal for grouse....both ruffs and sharptails....I've seen only a few sharptail and they are very small ....a late hatch bunch....I've driven 200 miles on back roads and farm fields this week and have seen only one grouse....
<br>
<br>I haven't been up high to look for ptarmigan......

Vern,
<br>
<br>As you've probably heard, we have a little drought going on around here. This is bad for farmers but good for pheasants. My take is that most areas had a real good hatch this year, not many nests flooded out by heavy rains. I have not been up around Brookings lately so I can't say for sure but it should be a bit better than last year. I would guess Platte would also be very good this year. One down side, due to the drought, much CRP is being hayed. This could affect the areas you hunt if it is predominately CRP. If you hunt state owned land, this should not be a problem. Also, the GF&P should release the pheasant count in the next couple of weeks.
<br>
<br>Good luck,
<br>
<br>Jason

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i live just a little south of brookings, and am in madison almost daily...i don't notice great quantities of pheasants in the area that i notice just a bit south of there. the pheasant count, i suspect, is better than last year (like jasonq says). i also think his comments about platte, s.d. are right on... however, platte is a pretty good drive from brookings.
<br>
<br>i think the further s.w. you can get from brookings, the higher the pheasant count. seems that the population really picks up once you get to miner county...

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.
Vern,
<br>
<br>The GF&P has the pheasant forecast on their web site now. It looks like Brookings area will be better that last year and Platte will be a little worse. Of course, your results may vary.
<br>
<br>Good luck,
<br>
<br>Jason

VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Jason!
<br>Brookings does seem to appear better than last year....we will have fun regardless..
<br>
<br>Thanks again!

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 3,325 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,304
Posts18,468,097
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.