24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I heard from a reliable source that Homeland Security is buying up all the "perfect" Austrian made pistols to keep them out of the hands of civilians. Have ya'll heard that?

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
BP-B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by 41magfan
I heard from a reliable source that Homeland Security is buying up all the "perfect" Austrian made pistols to keep them out of the hands of civilians. Have ya'll heard that?
No, you heard wrong. They are only buying up the 40's to shoot up the gazillion rounds of ammo that they bought up and are storing at the FEMA Reeducation Camps...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UPhiker
No, you heard wrong. They are only buying up the 40's to shoot up the gazillion rounds of ammo that they bought up and are storing at the FEMA Reeducation Camps...

But, but, but ..... I read it on an internet forum so it's got to be true?

NRA Endowment Member
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

All you need for happiness
Is a good Glock
A good horse
And a good wife.

~ Daniel Boone

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
will that make mine worth a fortune?

I like money

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glock has been making components and complete pistols in the US for some time now and Austrian production is not being phased out.

Tenifer is simply a trade name for a chemical process that is done in the US under the trade name Melonite. Only a materials engineer can intelligently explain the difference so that shouldn't be an issue from a consumer's standpoint. Either process is just a surface treatment to the metal - an applied finish (like Cerakote) is what gives the slide its finished appearance.

The quality of the US made pistols is indiscernible in appearance or performance.

Cerakote is a sprayed on coating process that�s just a good, strong coating. Tenifer/Melonite is a salt bath ferric nitrocarburizing process which is sort of a case hardening. The process involves heat typically under 1,000 degrees where the nitrocarburizing imbeds into the base metal. Then the part is immersed in an oxidizing bath which gives it its black appearance; much like a matte bluing or black Parkerizing. When it�s done, the part has a surface hardness that is VERY hard, and because it�s so hard, it resists wear exceptionally well.

Tenifer is not different from melonite, and the whole thing about the cyanide and the EPA is just internet gossip. Both Tenifer and Melonite are the same process, and both use cyanide.
http://www.met-sol.com/assets/Industry/MSI_FNC_Brochure.pdf

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by anachronism
Glock "Perfection" is simply an advertising slogan. Glocks have shortcomings, just like every other design.

lmao ya think?

for one they're pretty danged ugly! shocked

(no need to go over old ground about unsupported chamber and how they fall apart when used as a billy club)

but they can dance

nada wrong dancing with the ugly sister provided she can dance!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
who cares about an unsupported chamber this is only a factor if you reload. with normal ammo prices 9mm in particular is a waste of time to mess with reloading it. bad mouth glocks all you want but they work, are still the lightest pistol in their class I know of. from my hands they also have a very unique way of shooting where I want with the very first rounds out of the gun even when its been a long time since I shot the gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
who cares about an unsupported chamber this is only a factor if you reload.

certainly not me, don't reload for .40 cal, and it's never been too big a hurdle for me to buy an aftermarket barrel if I did.

it sure seems to stump some folks though

and while you didn't address it, the billy club syndrome doesn't leave me quaking in fear either. Always figured an extra mag was lighter and more compact to carry around than a billy club anyway. I guess some folks mileage varies on that.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
who cares about an unsupported chamber this is only a factor if you reload. with normal ammo prices 9mm in particular is a waste of time to mess with reloading it. bad mouth glocks all you want but they work, are still the lightest pistol in their class I know of. from my hands they also have a very unique way of shooting where I want with the very first rounds out of the gun even when its been a long time since I shot the gun.

I can reload 124 gr. FMJ for $14.00 per 100. The last box of 115 gr. white box winchester was $22.95 per 100--that's regular price. I'm saving roughly $9.00 a box by reloading 9mm. This means that for every 200 rounds I reload, I gain a third 100 in savings

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
You are correct that Glock has been making pistols in the USA for several years.

What finish has been applied to the previous USA pistols?

Can they not import the slide and assemble the pistols here?

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Orphanedcowboy
You are correct that Glock has been making pistols in the USA for several years.

Same finish, read my previous post.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tenifer and Melonite are metal surface treatments. They vary slightly in chemical composition but accomplish the same thing. You cannot see the surface treatment - by any name - under the finished slide.

Tenifer isn�t performed in the U.S. ... Melonite (and other trade name processes) is peformed in the U.S.

Pistol slides made in Austria have Tenifer ... Pistol slides made in the U.S. have something else - like Melonite.

Glocks slides used to be parkerized ... Now they have an applied finish of some kind.

Perhaps that helps clear things up.

Last edited by 41magfan; 07/15/13.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't believe that someone would say Glocks have short comings. No they do not they are the best..... nuf said lol

1 and done
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by highridge1
I can't believe that someone would say Glocks have short comings. No they do not they are the best..... nuf said lol
Wow, that's some Kool-Aid you've been drinking.

Glocks are fine pistols, but they have strengths and weaknesses just like any other pistol. I've yet to see the "perfect" service pistol. Thus far, it doesn't exist.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lemme help you KG, they're kept on the aisle next to the "perfect" raingear

light as a feather, tough as nails, completely waterproof and it breathes so hard you'll never ever feel a drop of sweat upon your body, no matter how hard and fast you climb a mountain while wearing it.

now if I could just find that aisle

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by highridge1

Glock is Just behind the P35........nuf said...Best pistol ever made....(ymmv)

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
All I know is that the gen 4 guns will rust. I am disappointed with that for sure.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by Orphanedcowboy

Same finish, read my previous post.

I knew that, I was trying to get the OP to see the error in his posting.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by P_Weed
Making Glocks in the United States is a good thing - and worthy of optimism.

Some years ago there were also concerns expressed about the quality of Beretta pistols being manufactured in the U.S. as opposed to those originally produced in Italy. One rarely hears that sentiment anymore.

I have both Italian and U.S. Beretta pistols and both are excellent - in every regard.

I feel that the U.S. / Austria Glock situation will be much the same.

Please correct me if I am in error, but didn't U.S. made Beretta M9 pistols (AKA the Beretta 92) have a metallurgical defect wherein the slides would crystallize and crack after about 5,000 rounds, sending the rear portion of the slide backward into the shooters skull causing considerable injury?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
708 members (10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,737 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.