Print Thread
Hop To
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thread about stuck carburetor float prompted me on this. Have a 1986 Honda Big Red 3-wheeler with metal gast tank. Dragged it out of the garage a month or so back to see if it still runs. It does but needs a carburetor cleaning and the inside of the tank above the gas line is obviously rusty. Probably the thanks I get for using ethanol gas. So how does one go about cleaning the inside of a gas tank?? Pour in sand and shake it?? Hire a pixie to go in and hammer it off??

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I use molasses/water mix for stripping rust...picked the idea up from a poster on these fora, it works a treat.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Get a fuel tank cleaner and liner kit by Kreem. Dennis Kirk sells them online. 3 bottles consisting of a cleaner, etcher and epoxy liner. The kit comes with instructions.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When you get the liner kit be sure and order a couple of in line fuel filters that just splice into the fuel line.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Buy a plastic replacement if you don't want to go through all of the trouble. I have an 86 Honda 250 and they are available.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shootem
Thread about stuck carburetor float prompted me on this. Have a 1986 Honda Big Red 3-wheeler with metal gast tank. Dragged it out of the garage a month or so back to see if it still runs. It does but needs a carburetor cleaning and the inside of the tank above the gas line is obviously rusty. Probably the thanks I get for using ethanol gas. So how does one go about cleaning the inside of a gas tank?? Pour in sand and shake it?? Hire a pixie to go in and hammer it off??

You're on track,....
I put coarse sand and a little fine crushed gravel in em', and stuff em' into the concrete mixer with an old blanket packed around to retain em'.

Rust,.....GONE.

Better adhesion for that Kreme stuff, though I can't say I'm a fan of it, and remain clueles as to how it stands up to ethanol, Sea Foam and Stabil.

GTC

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm currently working on a tractor tank. I was impressed with electrolysis using my batter charger and washing soda. The tank is now sitting in my garage filled with 10 gals of vinegar for the final rinse.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
TSP ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
1 gallon of white vinegar and 1/2 cup of salt ratio. Let sit for a week or so. Then neutralize with the same ratio of water and baking soda. Rinse and let dry.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by shootem

You're on track,....
I put coarse sand and a little fine crushed gravel in em', and stuff em' into the concrete mixer with an old blanket packed around to retain em'.

Rust,.....GONE.

Better adhesion for that Kreme stuff, though I can't say I'm a fan of it, and remain clueles as to how it stands up to ethanol, Sea Foam and Stabil.

GTC

GTC

I drag a chain down a gravel road behind the truck to remove rust from the chain.

Something clever here.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm a big fan of POR15 products, and I used one of their fuel tank kits on an old Sears SS16 tractor fuel tank I have. It's been 12 years now and still looks like the day I treated it.
They're like 3M- they make products that work, and work well.

http://www.por15.com/Fuel-System-Restoration_c_17.html

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wadevb1
I'm currently working on a tractor tank. I was impressed with electrolysis using my batter charger and washing soda. The tank is now sitting in my garage filled with 10 gals of vinegar for the final rinse.

That's a method that would remove all the active rust. Once the active rust is gone and if the tank is in good shape I don't see the need to coat it. Steel gas tank are not coated and are just bare steel on the inside.

If the rust had caused substantial pitting then coating it to fill in the damage and help prevent leaks would be a good idea but otherwise I'd be hesitant to put anything foreign in a tank.

Here's a link to a simple battery charger rust remover ...

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Put a bunch of steel shot in it and shake the snot out of it. A paint shaker would be perfect, but not very realistic.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Wow, lots of good stuff. I'll do my dd and try one or more of those. Thanks guys.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Find a dealer that will clean and epoxy coat inside. Done it at work a lot and now have one on a small tractor works like a champ so far.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Kreem worked for me on old dirt bikes.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

590 members (1_deuce, 06hunter59, 22250rem, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 58 invisible), 2,156 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,282
Posts18,448,597
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.