Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Ed_T/Kevin_T - per your recommendations I changed the stays in my ULA Epic to the Kifaru, and added a couple extra straps to the back. I carried 90+ lbs in that setup last fall and it worked fine, but I felt I was at the limit of what the system would do (my main frame of reference for heavy loads is my old DD Astralplane).

How would you compare this pack to the mod'd up Epic?

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The upper load limit is most likely user defined (how much can you carry ?). There are several differences in how they work. These differences should become clearer in the next few days, as videos etc get finished. Articulation is a big component of this setup. The Talon is more flexible as well, since it is easily removed and used as a day pack. In fact for smaller loads you can just use the built in load sling and compression if you are trying to save weight.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
htr3,

The modified Epic carries loads of 80-90 lbs as well or better than any other pack I have used, but that is the upper limit.
The reason the Epic works so well for me, is the frame sheet allows the pack to fit my odd shaped back, and the composite stays provide load control.

The Paradox really has no practical upper limit, other than like Kevin said the ability of the person carrying it. It is a pack that will do many things very well.

Ed T

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by forkedhorn
Any plans on making a larger day talon, say around 2000ci? I love the concept of dropping the large bag and just hunting with the frame and talon, but at only 1000ci, it's too small to even use as a day pack for me.

I have used load hauler packs for a lot of years. The Granite Gear Flatbed and the ULA Epic being the main packs. What I always used for hunting was a 65 liter dry bag for camp and a 15 liter that held my day gear. Everything stays dry in the dry bags and its easy to keep things organised.

Ed T

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by forkedhorn
Any plans on making a larger day talon, say around 2000ci? I love the concept of dropping the large bag and just hunting with the frame and talon, but at only 1000ci, it's too small to even use as a day pack for me.

The packs have a lot of compression, so you can take a big pack bag and compress it till it's only an inch or two thick. So that is a good option. Kevin mentioned taking the pack bag off the frame and throwing a stuff sack with some clothes in it on the frame and compressing it with a Day Talon which would also work.

We're contemplating developing some wing pockets that would work with the Day Talon to hold a spotter and tripod, maybe some bottle pockets. If we go that route it would add 1000+ CI to the Day Talon and should be a nice dayhunt rig.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got a configurations gallery uploaded to the site. It's got a lot of pics with details of what components are shown, plus capacity and weight.

http://paradoxpacks.com/configurations/

Load shelf - 7300 in the pack bag and Day Talon, plus a 65L dry bag....that's pushing 11,250 ci.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RockChucker30; 07/21/13.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If, you do develop wing and water bottle pockets, well, I may not be able to resist buying one of these rigs.....and, I DO NOT need another pack!

The other optional items that I would buy in a purchase of this pack system, would be a fairly large waistbelt "organizer" pocket, a "GPS/Phone Pocket" for the shoulder strap(s), a cartridge carrier and some sort of rig like Kifaru's "Gunbearer"...all of which will add some weight and cost, but, are worthwhile, IMHO?

I like to have certain items always packed in exactly the same places in all of my packs, this for First Aid and Emergency Kits, especially. I also like to have ammo in a carrier on my belts, a pocket there for all paperwork, sun glasses, and compass, etc.

I actually bought several Kifaru GPS pockets to fit all of my packs and am buying the MR waistbelt pockets to also add to every pack I own. I have cartridge carriers on each as well and a "Gunbearer", which is one of the most brilliant items of gear I have, won't go without one, now.

Maybe do some sort of "poll" to see if other guys want the same things?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Seems like just adding PALS to the waist belt would address these issues quite nicely. All these other goodies are already available elsewhere. No need to re-invent the wheel.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Seems like just adding PALS to the waist belt would address these issues quite nicely. All these other goodies are already available elsewhere. No need to re-invent the wheel.

+1, and then that way one could put on exactly what pouch is wanted/needed - it often seems that a manufacturer's idea of what you need in a pouch isn't exactly what YOU need, and with the PALS it would be much more versatile.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The point is that the accessories made by the pack maker would be in the same fabric/colours, etc, and that would be a worthwhile addition to this rig, IMO. Some of the aftermarket items as above MIGHT fit and may not, while those made to use with THIS pack by it's makers would work without any additional hassle.

...wheel..., hey, this is backpacking,eh, we don't use ATVs.... wink

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The really nice thing about using PALS though, with being standardized dimentionally, is that everybody elses PALS pouches are going to fit, and with the dozens (hundreds?) of PALS manufacturers offering zillions of pouch configurations, everyone should be able to find a combination that works for them. Also, with the standard colours of Coyote, Multicam, OD, Black, etc, one can generally get a good colour match to most packs, and if not, a colour that at least compliments the pack.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Our core is to build gear that is simpler, lighter, stronger, efficient, and more functional.

If we can build pockets that are better than what is available now and offer them at a fair price then I'd be interested in doing that.

If we can't innovate and offer a better product at a fair price then we would have to at least match the current product quality and hopefully beat the price. If that's not possible then I don't have a lot of interest in making something just to make it.

Honestly I'm a bit ambivalent toward a lot of PALS and pocket add ons. If you want a lightweight pack, then get a lightweight pack. Don't make it a light heavyweight with a ton of add ons that don't add to the functionality and actually decrease efficiency of travel.

That said, the only thing I would personally put on a hipbelt would be a PALS compatible holster. So, we may very well offer a couple runs of PALS on the belt as a custom add on.

Most of the stuff I want quick access to will be in a Gateway.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RockChucker30; 07/21/13.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Another vote for Pals on the hipbelt, at least as an option. I still prefer hipbelt pockets, holsters, knife sheaths, gun bearer etc and everything I have (mostly homemade or modified) is modular between several packs using Pals attachments. I don't have as much attachment to Pals on the pack bag since that is a quick way to really add weight.

Ed T

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RockChucker30

That said, the only thing I would personally put on a hipbelt would be a PALS compatible holster.

My handgun will reside in an HPG Kit Bag or a KU Koala. Water bottle holsters HAVE to be on the waistbelt, I can't reach them on the pack. I like another KU pouch on the belt, maybe a camera, snacks, etc. Kifaru kicked the KU packs to the curb but they still offer the pouches in sil. Kute, you never heard of "hippie-flague"? You gotta mix and match those colors man!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PALS is fairly low on the totem pole right now with all the other things yet to be rolled out, but for the sake of argument, how many rows/channels are needed?

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I'd like two horizontal rows with 5-6 slots per row.

Ed T

N
N
Since sreekers has been out of town, I currently possess the Paradox Evolution. I have over 10 miles on the Paradox Evolution with dry weight at 35lbs and 55lbs. The Evolution rides very comfortably. This next week I'll be kicking the weight up to see how well it does under heavier loads. So far it has been one of the most comfortable packs I've used. Sreekers is sitting on the other MR Metcalf, Kifaru Bikini/Highcamp, and the Stone Glacier Solo. We are working a review of these packs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by namack
Since sreekers has been out of town, I currently possess the Paradox Evolution. I have over 10 miles on the Paradox Evolution with dry weight at 35lbs and 55lbs. The Evolution rides very comfortably. This next week I'll be kicking the weight up to see how well it does under heavier loads. So far it has been one of the most comfortable packs I've used. Sreekers is sitting on the other MR Metcalf, Kifaru Bikini/Highcamp, and the Stone Glacier Solo. We are working a review of these packs.

Good to see you on here Nevada. Have fun tomorrow!

Nathan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our core is to build gear that is simpler, lighter, stronger, efficient, and more functional.

If we can build pockets that are better than what is available now and offer them at a fair price then I'd be interested in doing that.

If we can't innovate and offer a better product at a fair price then we would have to at least match the current product quality and hopefully beat the price. If that's not possible then I don't have a lot of interest in making something just to make it.

Honestly I'm a bit ambivalent toward a lot of PALS and pocket add ons. If you want a lightweight pack, then get a lightweight pack. Don't make it a light heavyweight with a ton of add ons that don't add to the functionality and actually decrease efficiency of travel.

That said, the only thing I would personally put on a hipbelt would be a PALS compatible holster. So, we may very well offer a couple runs of PALS on the belt as a custom add on.

[Linked Image]
Which one/what is the gateway? Is it the chest pack?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

[Linked Image]

I "get" your points here and am not much of a "fan" of PALS, after some incidents with it on new Kifaru and MR packs. I understand all the versatility, etc, I just don't care for it.

My concern is simple, I already own several excellent packs both built for and modded for the hunting I like to do, so, spending more scarce "retirement" $$$$ on another hunting pack, at 67, is not going to happen for me, UNLESS, there are actual, functional issues in respect of substantially lower weight WITH durability, etc, equal to the MR NICE.

So, IF, there WAS an optional pocket system, as suggested in my previous post and the total pack would still, as I think it could, weigh about 2/5 of my two fully rigged NICE setups, it would be worth squeezing the family budget to get a pack equal to the NICE and much lighter.

That, anyway, is the opinion of one old geezer and may/may not be a worthwhile consideration. I won't carry my Leica/Manfrotto CF spotter combo merely tied to a pack, not given what this cost and I dislike anything hanging on my chest, so, some pocket options are necessary for me.

JMHO, the pack as shown really impresses me and I really hope your venture with it is wildly successful.

Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

316 members (257 mag, 1eyedmule, 308ld, 1_deuce, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 33 invisible), 1,813 guests, and 910 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,719
Posts18,457,179
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.