-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A condition Hemingway observed while recouping. Hems heros always faught the impossible fight.

Frankly bull fighting is the only thing in mexico i would like to see in the USA. Jose Tomas is a brilliant artist.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BeanMan
None of you wimps ever wanted to go to the festival of San Fermin? Hemingway would not think you very Manly.
Hemingway could write but he was off in the head. If you recall, he shot himself.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pamplona is on the "El Camino de Santiago" its on my bucket list. As for running with the bulls, I thought about it once, when I was a lot younger. Commonsense prevailed.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fellow 'Fire folks;
To no one in particular this morning and perhaps for the edification of just as many, I'll offer a couple bull stories from the mountain grazing leases of interior British Columbia.

We were moving the herd (55 cow/calf pairs & 3 bulls) across the valley one day which meant they all had to be moved down a couple miles, bunched up and loaded onto a cattle liner.

The pairs were penned and we'd begun to run the first load up the chute when two of the bulls began to have a social discussion right where our three horses were tied. They were good steady cow horses and were trying to ignore these lesser creatures as usual, but the bulls were doing their level best to be a nuisance of some significance that morning.

The rancher instructed me to cut a couple 12' willows for us and peel the branches off 'em - to make magic wands to convince the bulls to find another spot to play.

We made up the oversize hot dog sticks in record time and proceeded to apply them to the fighting bulls with enthusiasm and vigor.......they barely paid us any attention whatsoever.

I'd suspect - based upon over a decade of being an Occupational First Aid Attendant at work among other life experience with human trauma - that any two of the licks we were administering to the bulls would have near hospitalized a human.

This other time one of the herd bulls picked up a bit of hoof rot or something that required me to administer two doses of tetracycline.

He "resisted" our initial attempts to stretch him out to a handy tree, so we picked out a nice young cow that he'd follow and ran them both down the mountain a bit to the nearest loading chute.

These chutes are constructed with posts of 8"-10" diameter that are driven in deep and then skookum rails installed onto the king size posts.

So we got this cow to run the chute, the bull naturally followed and we got a stout fence rail in front of his brisket and another behind his tail.

The largest of us there that day was an RCMP Sargent in the real world and weighed at least 50lb more than my 160lb, so we had him make my lasso into a makeshift halter for the ailing bull. My late friend installed the halter, put at least two - maybe it was three - wraps around the closest 10" post, pulled the bulls nose to the post and nodded to me to hop up on the chute and administer the penicillin.

The bull didn't know what was coming for the first needle in his butt, but he sensed my intent somehow for the next one.

Although he didn't buck the entire chute down we were all impressed at how much it moved - with him having his nose firmly snubbed in and all. All the while my rancher buddy is holding the horses, looking up at me straddling the moving chute and saying, "Quit fooling around up there Dwayne and give him the needle before he wrecks the chute!" laugh

I suppose that since I can share these bovine tales with you folks that it might possibly indicate I'd be interested in more and greater adventures with bulls. Those who'd read that into it couldn't be more wrong. wink

All the best to you all this mid July weekend, may all your encounters with bulls have safe endings.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Dwayne, have a good weekend smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
they WAY over-penetrate on humans...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by utah708
I have known this guy's family for over 25 years. He was a HS valedictorian, football player, from a strong Christian family. Quite a quiet and respectful man; probably the last person I would think likely to get this particular 15 minutes of fame. We have offered airline miles to the family so that one of the parents can go bring him home. will have to ask Patrick how he kept his phone. I watched the video of the incident and the bull merely flicked his head at Patrick as he ran by--almost so fast you don't see it happen. I don't think he even had time to think about dropping it.

Interesting insight there and good of you to help him/his family in this situation.

There seems to be good reason why folks root in favor of the bulls. Even valedectorians, football players and nice Christian families sometimes don't get it. The reasoning is akin to honorable hunting - admire the beast, honor the beast, take its life swiftly and surely if you will, and then give at least a moment of respect at its death.

Animals are not meant to be tortured, taunted and dared to act. Almost any creature will react with animal survivial instinct when in a corner, and those with big power, speed and determination can easily exact their due. Torture or taunt it, and get your due.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,686
Posts18,456,386
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.