Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I see the BRNO combo is "upside down," according to the theory that the rifle barrel should be lower in the action to mitigate bending forces. But I've never heard of one that had a problem, including some with pretty hearty chamberings: .30-06, .270, 7x65R. Don't know if they were ever chambered for 9.3x74R, but that would be a pretty stressful ctg., action-wise.

Last edited by Mesa; 06/06/13.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you look close at the BRNO the hinge is very high on the barrels which increases the mechanical advantage on the top barrel. Also the locking lugs are at the top and not under the barrels or between them.

Last edited by erich; 06/06/13.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I should have known the Czechs would think of everything! Over the years they have been consistently one of the nations that innovates most and most effectively in firearms. Even the locking slide on Savage/Valmet O/Us was originally by a Czech gunsmith....

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
No, the .3-06, .270 and even the 7x65R, are MORE stressful on the action of a drilling or "bockbuschflinten" than the fine old 9.3x74R is.

The chamber pressures of the 9.3 are lower than the others and the larger base area of the case spreads the back thrust against the standing breech over a larger area, thus, easing the "punch" against it a bit at the moment of ignition.

In fact and this is also due to the weight/balance aspects of various cartridges in combo guns, the old 9,3x74R, is THE overall "best" choice in a gun of this sort and mine will shoot "bugholes". A 286 NP starting at 2400 fps is MAJOR PEE against ANY animal in North America and the recoil is surprisingly soft compared with my .375s and .338WMs.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hawken
She ain't pretty, she's beautiful. blush [Linked Image]

How are you liking this recent incarnation of the 24?

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those new Savages sure do offer "visual shock" upon initial viewing.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If that ain't a "Black Rifle," I don't know what to call it--a "Black Shotgun"?

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
There's good and bad. I'll start with the bad: The sights are terrible,and I mean awful, they're very cheap plastic, I wouldn't trust them to hold up to even the most mild abuse. (I haven't had it for long though,time will tell) and they required far too much work (sanding,filing and notching) to make it shoot less than a foot high at thirty yards. Also, I would love it if it were possible to separate the gun at the break to make it more pack able,unfortunately, it's doesn't seem possible with this design.

The good: the trigger is great. it has a light,clean break with zero slop. Overall,The gun is very light and carries great. It groups well with any ammo I've used, and the point of impact at thirty yards is damn close with both barrels.I think it's an ideal truck/canoe/camp gun.

I hope Savage addresses the sights or someone makes some aftermarket ones. And I hope they start offering more combinations. I would love to see a .357/12 .

I am an N.R.A. Life Member,you should be to.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Those new Savages sure do offer "visual shock" upon initial viewing.

Think of it this way; no amount of abuse can make them uglier.

I am an N.R.A. Life Member,you should be to.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are they scopeable

Make mine a Minaska

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Changed the mount and added a 2.5 Leupold to the BRNO. I think it's going to work.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Solid looking rig! cool

I think you have it pretty well sorted out. laugh

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Some to drop the scammer/spammer who posted his "kitchens" down a notch...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

THIS NICE LITTLE RIG IN 16GA 2 3/4"...6.5x57R...AND 22WM NOW RESIDES IN TOWNSEND MT.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tell me a little more about that 2 barrel sxs. Is that a sxs shotgun and cape set or double rifle barrels? What gauge and calibers? is that a Weaver 3x, what mount?

Make mine a Minaska

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's a pre-war better quality Sauer cape gun set in 12/12 and 12/8X57JR. It now has a 1-4 Leupold VX II in claw mounts on the cape barrel set instead of the Waever K-3 P&CH as in the photo.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice, surprised to see it in 12ga.

Make mine a Minaska

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That's one of those that makes me all swarmy. How are the shot barrels choked, full and full?
There are two things that could make that gun nicer. One, if it were up and down instead of sideways; and Two, if it were mine. Shucks, number two would be all it would need to make it fine.
The only problem with the 8x57 and 12 bore is that you really don't need any other gun. Nice one.
Bfly

Last edited by Blackfly1; 07/24/13.

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
They're M & F.

I can't shoot an O/U. It's too hard to can't it 90 degrees to get it all proper, then get onto the birds in time. whistle

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That's because you hunt those steep hills. The barrels on that sideways gun is really up and down when you shoot because the mountain is so steep, and you're looking at it from the side and the birds are flying downhill, and .... yep, way too much thinking. I just bring up my gun, clinch my teeth, tense all my muscles, shut my eyes and yank the trigger. Forgot to flip the safe off. Cuss, Cuss. Bird gone!
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You need Evil Twin's sweet Sauer 16/9,3X72R cape gun. The 16ga versions are trimmer and faster handling than this 12ga gun.

I placed a curse on him. He won't sell/trade it to me. mad

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (338reddog, 808outdoors, AB2506, 19rabbit52, 338Rules, 5spd, 16 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,114
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.