Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The cheapies i have look like crap compared to the avian x ones, but they are pricey. Looking my old ones over, i have some cracked keels, chipped paint, and just wear and tear, that seems excessive for how i took care of them.
What are you guys using?
Looking to buy just a dozen of some good, life like, durable, mallard decoy.
Spend the money on the avians?
Looked at dakotas, and was not impressed. Colors are wrong, and body dimensions, and pose's just didn't look right.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a hodgepodge right now. Most of my mallards are older Foiles decoys (this was before his whole ordeal, I'd never give Foiles a cent of my money now). I have a GHG puddler pack, GHG green wings and GHG blue bills too. My divers have held up really well over the last 3-4 years or so. I've only had the puddler pack a year and a half and they're already losing paint. My next set of decoys will be from Dakota or Avian, or if I can't quite spring for them, G&H...you really get what you pay for with decoys

Last edited by ajmorell; 03/08/13.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Quack Decoys have the best of everything. Durable, ride like a duck, light enough, and look as good as you need them to.

But I still love hunting over hand carved cork decoys.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most of mine are GHG right now they seem to be holding up well

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My decoy spread is a hodge podge of various manufacturers; I started with Carry-lite back in the late 70's when their quality control and paint didn't suck. When they started going south, I started buying Flambeau and have been generally pleased...my only complaint is that the plastic they use is somewhat stiff and becomes brittle and cracks if it gets too cold.
Lately, I've been making my own out of scraps and garbage(left over 2x4 scaps, styrofoam packing sheets, old surgical gauze, ect). These dekes are great in that they are light, float well, continue to float when hit by stray shot, and were made by ME!

Here are some mallards & blacks that I made a few years back:
[Linked Image]

Some green wing teal:
[Linked Image]

One of my home made hens on a pond:
[Linked Image]

My spread with some of my fakes added; the hen and drake in the front are ones I made:
[Linked Image]

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I carve my own.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Beautiful work Killerv.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wow! very nice.
How much for one with a hollowed out center that can be resealed so when the day comes I have to put my buddy down I can put his ashes in it and have him still hunting with me?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Urns are very popular... I hope you have many more years with he/she before you have to worry about it. Wouldnt be any more than a standard hollowed wood gunner though.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am hoping i have many, many years ahead. Both of us!
Shoot me a pm with a price for a drake mallard.
Id like to use it, so it would be a part of us over the years.
Yes i love my dog, but also know i may live longer than him.
See my thread in gun dogs.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love the Gadwall

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Beautiful work Killerv.

Excellent work!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I still use mostly flambeau. A lot of areas I hunt we need to put out 8-12 dozen dekes to run a chance.

If I could get by with 1-2 dozen I'd spend the money on the expensive ones...

BUT then again, we kill ducks over our cheap ones all the time. Limit out most times too if birds are in the area.

So I'm not so sure that its all that important...

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have been using Flambeau dekes for the last few years, but just this AM I scored a great deal on a box of FA Mallards so this year will have a mix of dekes. The FA's sure look good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For ducks, FA brand and Flambeau.
For geese, Dave smiths and avery pro-series.

[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
G&H's that are now probably 20 years old. A good cleaning and some touch up paint every few years and they still look great. For newer ones the GHG with a clear coat sprayed on top are hard to beat. Plus when it floods you don't get as upset losing a $40/dozen decoy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Still use the older G+H and Carrylite but all our new purchases lately have been GHG..the company has been great with replacement heads and stands.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
The only thing I really don't like about older G&H is the removable heads that end up breaking off anyways. The mallard ones especially.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
GHG pro grades and oversize. Their paint seems to hold up very well Early season i use mostky hens and most of them are F/A brand.

Goose decoys i use mostly are bigfoots. I have some GHG goose decoys but thier paints are the worst I have ever seenand seem to flake off just from opening the box. I also use about 6 dozen sillo socks and a couple dozen sillouettes. We also use a few reel wings flyers. And I love em

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Mostly herters for me mallards, and divers. For the walk in hunts the rest are G&H with rig em rights. Those burlapped herters get heavy on those walk in hunts

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

353 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 28 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,430
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.