Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have used mainly Herter's decoys since the 1960's and have only had to retire the few that got soaked in gasoline spraying out of a leak in an old two hose pressurized portable gasoline tank. That was a bad morning. The rest of the Herter's decoys I have seem to be quite durable with reasonable care.

Some of their largest goose decoys painted as swans work wonders on those big birds.

I have used some G&H duck and goose decoys with good success but have had a few of them crumble. I made several dozen out of a Decoys Unlimited mold that will still be around after all the roaches die.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't be such a wuss phoneman..

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used Carry-Lite, Flambeau, Herters, G&H, and GHG. Of these the GHG are by far the nicest. There will always be pros and cons to any decoy that you choose, but for the money, GHG is my hands down favorite. I haven't had any trouble with the paint on mine, I have had a couple of heads break on my full body geese, however. A little Gorilla Glue and they were back in action the next day.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
none float like the herters.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Got a chance to lok at the avian X mallards today. By far the best looking decoy i have seen

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Currently, I make my own.....in the past I have used Flambeau and Carry-lite. Would recommend Flambeau; carrylites I've used have had paint problems.
I have a friend that uses GHG....they seem like a good decoy.

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
B
B
I have a dozen of the "body language" fully flocked mallards and a dozen "drake" branded mallards that body language repainted for me. they look amazing!
If I went to cabelas to buy decoys, i'd get the avian X - dakota - ghg pro series, in that order.

http://www.bodylanguagedecoys.com/decoys.html

I've used cheap ones and killed ducks, do I think these decoys will help me kill 2x as many? probably not but it can't hurt!

Last edited by beretta_man11; 08/13/13.
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Dakota ducks, look amazing. only downfall is weight in my opinion

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Anything with flat or no keel, unless I hunt big water. Movement trumps artistry, any day.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Seems to be a resurrection.

We've got 40+ dozen in our club. Favorites are avian X and Higdon. Your mileage may vary.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Bunch of old threads up tonight, breathing life into this sub forum. Good stuff.

I frequently brought but never once deployed a dozen or more mallard decoys and a half dozen wood duck decoys. All my shooting this season was jump shooting. Never got the dekes wet.

For geese I've been having pretty good luck with a few dozen Divebomb silhouettes. Easy to pack, inexpensive, and they work... particularly if you know where the geese want to be.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know the answer, I'm a rookie duck hunter so to speak, but have always wondered.....

Is the ultra-realistic decoy, the paint, the flocking, the ride on the water, does that really bring in more ducks, or is that just to bring in more dollars for the manufacturer?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't know much about duck hunting but used second-hand this year. Left them on the lake for a 8-10 weeks. A few ended upside down. Ducks still consistently came in the last weekend of the season. Not sure of the brand.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thirty five years ago Cabela's used to sell a Cabela's branded foam filled decoy. They were terrific. I have a few mallards and a few pintails left of those. I also have those cheap Flambeaus and a few odds and ends accumulated over the last fifty years.

I am done waterfowl hunting and ought to sell my duck decoys and goose shells some time.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Anything with flat or no keel, unless I hunt big water. Movement trumps artistry, any day.

You'd probably like the 50 year old Victors that I have. A very shallow x-shaped "keel" that won't hold much line. I drilled some holes in them and filled them up with Great Stuff foam, then epoxied the cracks and re-painted. Am not going to spend money on new decoys until Biden reverses the climate and more ducks start showing up here than I've been seeing in the last decade or two.

My buddy has some G & H decoys that have held up well for him.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
https://lifetimedecoys.com

None better! I use them in water, on ice, and on Land. Try them I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I run G&H ducks. Probably 2 dozen puddlers and 3 dozen divers. I do admit there are more realistic puddlers on the market but the G&H still work for me. Their divers are top notch IMHO.

Just sold my old Bigfoot goose floaters. Looking at the Dakota and Hard Core lessers to replace them.

Semper Fi

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Currently a mix. I bought some flocked head Higdon foam filled that I really like. My full body dekes are Dakota fully flocked. I have a few older GHG and FA decoys but will probably replace them next year. The Lifetime decoys mentioned above look very nice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Higdon foam filled. We put them out and leave them out all season. The flocked head mallards look great and hold up. Plus if there are cripples in the decoys...... BLAZE AWAY because they are literally unsinkable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZhPzi0TEUw&ab_channel=EmergingMediaProductions

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
for Geese im a big fan of Bigfoot and DOA decoys. for mos ducks I realy like Higdon and avian x. my diver spread is a mix and match of Avery, Higdon,Final Flight, and a local custom maker that i am friends with. all of my closest divers are Foamers our snowgoos rig is a ix of everything including texas rags. keep in mind my diver rig is 150 decoys. with our entire snow goose rig out we are somewhere around 3000 decoys

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
712 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222ND, 74 invisible), 2,785 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.