Print Thread
Hop To
H
Heat Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Does anyone have any experience with the Selkirk Spike Tent from the Wall Tent Shop? I just noticed this tent as an option for a canvas shelter that can accept a wood stove, and sets up easier than your typical wall tent with internal frame. They come in three sizes 10x10, 12x12, and 14x14. Sewn-in floor, 4 ft walls, two doors with storm flaps, two screened windows, stove jack, aluminum frame. I can't find ANY reviews on this tent, good or bad. Thoughts on Wall Tent Shop out of Idaho in general? Anyone know where their tents are sewn (I'm guessing China for the price)?

I've posted on this topic before but I can't seem to figure out or decide what I want/need. My must haves are: includes or can accept a stove jack (1st priority), easy to set up for 1 person (this is HUGE), stand up room (I'm 5'9" tall barefoot), room for two small cots or one Slumberjack Big Cot for truck camps. Lightweight and backpackable are bonus, but not an absolute requirement. Things like screen windows to move breezes through the tent are bonus, but not an absolute requirement. Pretty sure I lean towards floorless over a shelter that includes a floor for this one. I really prefer Made in USA, if possible.

I also have checked out Davis Tent extensively, and for a full wall tent they seem to be the ticket, but I often move camp every few days or don't hunt for more than 3 days many times. I feel that a full wall tent would be more trouble than it is worth for the majority of my trips. For 10-14 day elk hunts near the truck, I can't find anything better. A 10x12 looks good, a 12x14 is likely overkill for most situations. Made in USA.

I have looked into the Kifaru for their lightweight shelters (6 man tipi, Sawtooth). A lot of times I think I have decided on a Sawtooth, but hard to tell if it will work without seeing it up close. Same with the 6 Man tipi. I am also considering Seek Outside and their shelters. They also have a 6 man tipi and a BackCountry Shelter, which is similar to the Sawtooth. Seek Outside has a few features I like better than Kifaru but they don't have the Kifaru reputation quite yet, but I can't find any negative reviews on their stuff. These tents are very expensive and will be really tight space wise compared to the other options out there. Made in USA.

Springbar/Kodiak Canvas type canvas tents...I did some research on this previously and found out that Springbar could put in a stovejack, but now that has changed they say that the tent moves too much for a stove and wouldn't really help with that anymore. I can have a local sewing outfit put in a stove jack or I can probably glue one in myself. Not sure if this is 100% safe but I don't know if having fire in any flammable tent, canvas or nylon, is 100% safe regardless. You always have to be careful of fire. I saw TxTrapper's posts from a few years ago, but haven't heard much follow up info. Tried to contact him with a PM recently but "no dice". Made in USA (Springbar) and China (Kodiak).

Cabela's Alaknak 12x12 or Bighorn III. Seems like a good blend of a lot of great features, but bad for condensation, still pretty heavy, and will take a while to put up and take down for one guy. Montana Canvas has a Spike Tent very similar to the Alaknak (USA). Alaknak/Bighorn are Made in China.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts they would like to share? Any other tents that I am leaving out and should consider?

Thanks,

Nick

Last edited by Heat; 07/30/13. Reason: added a space after 1st paragraph
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
This vid ain't a review but it shows the Selkirk 10x10.

I had the Alaknak 12x12 and it was a good tent. I upgraded to a 14x17 Montana Canvas tent probably 10 years ago and have no complaints.

H
Heat Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Thanks, saw that on You Tube, but like you said, no review...:(

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You might want to post this on the elk forum.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've got a 14x16 from walltentshop.com and have zero complaints. I believe it's made in Pakistan or something. Had to have a tent in a hurry in '08 and that was the only one I could get delivered in time. If the spiker is the same construction as the wall tent it should be a good one.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bloodworks
I believe it's made in Pakistan or something.

I would think they know a thing or two about living in tents.

H
Heat Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
done

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 222ND, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 65 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,159
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.