Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
PMC 44 Mag 240 gr. TCSP.

I have read on other forums that this load with its truncated point is designed to enhance feeding in guns like the Desert Eagle but nothing in PMC's literature hints at that. Their data shows this load to be stoked a bit hotter than their ( and other ) standard 240 grain loads. About 100 fps faster.

It looks like it would be a real penetrator so I've ordered some to try out as a woods gun carry load.

Any input will be appreciated.

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys"........P.J. O'Rourke
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What are you thinking you might run into in your woods that would not get deader, quicker with a good Hollow point load or a load with a wider, flat meplat?

JJHack from here, and a good friend of mine who lives close by, has shot hundreds of black bears with his 44 MAgnum Mountain gun (Black bear control and reduction was his full time job for a while)and he states unequivocably that a plain old 240HP is the superior bear killing load.

The exception to this might be if you are hunting in Grizz country, but even then a bullet with a wide flat meplat is going to be far superior stopper and killer VS one with a pointy profile.

Unless I had a Desert Eagle that was not feeding well or maybe a Ruger Semi Auto carbine as well I would have zero interest in this loading. Even then I would be much more likely to work on the gun's feeding and even more likely than that to just sell the dog of a gun than to be forced into using ammunition with such a poor profile and design.

If I wanted a load that was a bit hotter or faster I would handload them or buy Buffalo Bore ammo for woods carry. Buffalo Bore makes some awesome, kick butt ammo and would be leagues ahead of that poorly thought out PMC loading for woods carry.

Last edited by safariman; 07/30/13.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
PMC 44 Mag 240 gr. TCSP.

I have read on other forums that this load with its truncated point is designed to enhance feeding in guns like the Desert Eagle but nothing in PMC's literature hints at that. Their data shows this load to be stoked a bit hotter than their ( and other ) standard 240 grain loads. About 100 fps faster.

It looks like it would be a real penetrator so I've ordered some to try out as a woods gun carry load.

Is the Desert Eagle sensitive to bullet profiles? The Truncated Cone is popular in smaller calibers because it is smooth feeding. It is a target bullet.

I'm just guessing here, but this round may be designed for those who want to shoot long distance at steel targets.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by safariman
What are you thinking you might run into in your woods that would not get deader, quicker with a good Hollow point load or a load with a wider, flat meplat?

JJHack from here, and a good friend of mine who lives close by, has shot hundreds of black bears with his 44 MAgnum Mountain gun (Black bear control and reduction was his full time job for a while)and he states unequivocably that a plain old 240HP is the superior bear killing load.

The exception to this might be if you are hunting in Grizz country, but even then a bullet with a wide flat meplat is going to be far superior stopper and killer VS one with a pointy profile.

Unless I had a Desert Eagle that was not feeding well or maybe a Ruger Semi Auto carbine as well I would have zero interest in this loading. Even then I would be much more likely to work on the gun's feeding and even more likely than that to just sell the dog of a gun than to be forced into using ammunition with such a poor profile and design.

If I wanted a load that was a bit hotter or faster I would handload them or buy Buffalo Bore ammo for woods carry. Buffalo Bore makes some awesome, kick butt ammo and would be leagues ahead of that poorly thought out PMC loading for woods carry.
The PMC truncated cone bullets aren't "pointy". They have about the same profile as many hollowpoints without the deep hole in the nose hollowpoints have.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
EE, that is informative, the OP's post had me thinking a different look. The TC style bullets I have seen (and I have a pile of Truncated cone style plated bullet ammo in 40S&W and 9mm to take to this weekends gun show and they do have a mighty small meplat) would not be my choice for carry anywhere other than in an ammo can to the range.

Last edited by safariman; 07/30/13.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by safariman
EE, that is informative, the OP's post had me thinking a different look. The TC style bullets I have seen (and I have a pile of Truncated cone style plated bullet ammo in 40S&W and 9mm to take to this weekends gun show and they do have a mighty small meplat) would not be my choice for carry anywhere other than in an ammo can to the range.

I'm not saying they're any good, just describing their appearance. I've mainly shot them when nothing else was available or I wanted the brass. Most Truncated Cone ammo and Full Metal Case or the like, I have shot were wicked kickers.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I've done some more reading since my original post. What I've been able to gather from users of the PMC 240 gr TCSP is that it behaves much like a hard cast semi wadcutter on game. 44 in and 44 out. No significant expansion.

It is true that the actual bullet profile isn't "truncated" as we are used to seeing in 9mm, 40, 45 ACP, etc. Definitely a wider frontal surface.

Should be interesting to play with.

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys"........P.J. O'Rourke
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My only experience with PMC ammo was with 185gr JHP in 10mm. These fed and shot very well, and chrono'ed over 1300 fps. In .44 mag, I also prefer a wide, flat nose bullet, and I like them heavy-for-caliber.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
PMC 44 Mag 240 gr. TCSP.

What makes you think that it would be a "real penetrator"? In my experience smallish meplats are not "real penetrators". They do not penetrate as well as as wider meplats

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Texas99
My only experience with PMC ammo was with 185gr JHP in 10mm. These fed and shot very well, and chrono'ed over 1300 fps. In .44 mag, I also prefer a wide, flat nose bullet, and I like them heavy-for-caliber.

The numbers you got from the PMC 10mm stuff are very impressive! I will have to find some of those.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In early 2011 as I was leaving a gun show. The ammo man was selling that exact PMC 44 Mag
for a very good price. So I got several boxes. In my S&W M29 4" I can really tell that it is
loaded hotter than regular ammo.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The pmc tcsp that I have shot has been very accurate and does seem hot. I have never had any kind of feeding problem in my DE so I cannot comment on that. My DE has fed everything I have given it and thrown the brass into the next time zone.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by jwp475
PMC 44 Mag 240 gr. TCSP.

What makes you think that it would be a "real penetrator"? In my experience smallish meplats are not "real penetrators". They do not penetrate as well as as wider meplats

What makes me think this particular load just might be a good one for my intended purpose? Well............

- The small amount of exposed lead which would likely delay expansion, along with the thick jacket.

- The statements of others who have used it on game and found it to penetrate well and exhibit limited expansion. (Another forum)

- The published data that shows this load to be somewhat hotter than standard factory 44 mag loads. (Which seems to be validated by Hotload's observation)

- Last but not least my own observation after firing a few into waterlogged phone books. They penetrate just about as deep as my own 240 gr hard cast SWC load that chronographs 1325.

Yeah, I'll give these loads a try and see how they work out.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Try some of the grizzly or Buffalo Bore loads if you are looking for a lot of penetration and these load give excellent wound channels IME

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

- Last but not least my own observation after firing a few into waterlogged phone books. They penetrate just about as deep as my own 240 gr hard cast SWC load that chronographs 1325.

How deep did they penetrate in wetpack if you don't mind me asking?

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I would also like Tom ow how deep they penetrated the wet pack as well as what the recovered bullets looked like

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

217 members (30Gibbs, 10gaugemag, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 33 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,633
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.