Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder about the mentality of some who says,

Originally Posted by Ringman
It borders on mental illness to carry a buck over your shoulder without camoing the deer.

You're saying just camo the buck while carrying over your shoulders,

All complete stupidity, carrying a camo'ed buck while dressed in dark clothing, Again, Award winning stuff.

Now let's talk about concealing deer antlers, some tips please?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now let's talk about concealing deer antlers, some tips please?

Read the above post.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would never carry a deer over my shoulder. In my day pack is a plasticized 6x8 tarp that is part of my "survival gear. I lay the tarp on the ground, roll the deer on it, and then gather up one end and tie the head into it. Then I measure out several feet of parachute cord and tie that into a loop at the head end of the tarp. I step into the loop and put the front of the loop behind my head and the two running lines go under my arm pits. And I start walking. Both hands are free and the deer and tarp just tags along.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
I would never carry a deer over my shoulder. In my day pack is a plasticized 6x8 tarp that is part of my "survival gear. I lay the tarp on the ground, roll the deer on it, and then gather up one end and tie the head into it. Then I measure out several feet of parachute cord and tie that into a loop at the head end of the tarp. I step into the loop and put the front of the loop behind my head and the two running lines go under my arm pits. And I start walking. Both hands are free and the deer and tarp just tags along.
You can make it easier by cutting a short, stout limb and rigging the chest rope like a water ski tow rope. Pushing on a stick is FAR easier than having a rope cutting into you.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by kududude

I hunted coyotes and bobcats with a guide down in Texas. The guide had video of himself shooting a double on coyotes and several bobcats while wearing a Santa Claus suit.

He was in the open, so the predators could fully see him. He simply did not move.

Movement, not color or pattern, makes all the difference.

Most camoflage is simply marketing.

Sit on a sand hill in west texas wearing black and trying to call coyotes in to kill before you try and feed me BS. Yea, in sept or oct you can prove your point- on those young, dumb pups of the year.

Always remember when hunting, are you wanting the young dumb one, or the old smart one. Animals are like people in some ways. Some are smart and some are dumb, be it coyotes, geese, deer or elk.

All bozos know that for dove you can wear blue jeans and white tee shirt and red cap and have a party downing them and beer, the first weekend. They mop up on the immature spotted wings the first couple weeks of season then they quit hunting as the birds just aren't coming in.

For the mature and big northern birds moving in later and you best be keeping your trap closed and camoed behind a mesquite bush or they will locate you from their afternoon perch after feeding and before assaulting the evening waterhole from a few hundred yards away and leave you high and dry for an un-gunned waterhole elsewhere.

Last edited by eyeball; 08/01/13.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You don't need it, but some good gear happens to come in camo. Things that could be set down and lost should not be in camo. For clothes, I do kind of like camo for gutting and such. Once the blood dries, it's barely visible.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Scopolamine
Ghillie Suit can't hurt.

I'm not so sure. They are a great tool if you know how to make and veg' one but otherwise they look like overly juted wookies. I also sweat to death in one and if not cleaned often they take on an ammonia smell pretty quickly in warm weather.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Wow! it is amazing how much money our government has spent on camo patterns for the military. They could have save millions by just coming to the Campfire and finding out how unnecessary it really is.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yea, cuzz hiding from Vietcong and deer are the same thing and suffer the same consequences if spotted...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Yea, cuzz hiding from Vietcong and deer are the same thing and suffer the same consequences if spotted...
Ha!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

not to mention we are dealing with one critter that can see color and detail really well(us) and another that cant(deer) [bleep] me common sense really is near extinct.....

Last edited by rattler; 08/02/13.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well . . . actually deer can see color. Dogs can see color too. It's just different for them. Deer have deeply attenuated red vision that makes hunter orange look like the color of maple leaves getting ready to fall-- a rough approximation.

This brings up an interesting point. Why is camo such a good, necessary thing in the military and not with deer hunting? The answer is kind of complicated.

First off, human brains just aren't tuned like prey species. A deer's eyes and minds are much better able to pick up movement. Our eyes are better able to pick up subtle color differentiation.

Second, we understand our world in a completely different way. We can anticipate danger and dangerous situations a lot better. We can reason things out. An animal sees a lush growth of alfalfa as a bonanza in the middle of the forest. We however, can see it as a food plot and a potential ambush site. We also understand that a hunting blind might have something inside of it.

Third, we have a better-developed theory of mind (what goes on in the other guy's head). Deer stick their heads behind a tree and they think they're hidden, even though their butt's hanging out. We can anticipate what the other guy's thinking.

Humans also have a concept of mortality far better developed than a deer. I've watched a lot of deer. Believe me when I say that their concept of life and death is not like ours.

Lastly remember that modern military camo is there to not only fool human vision, but that of electronically enhanced vision (night vision, etc.) It always blows my mind when I see pixellated camo meant for hunting animals-- like the deer and turkey are somehow going to get night-vision scopes!

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah but its different just like an eagles vision is different than ours.....the acuity at which deer see color is no where near ours and most birds kick our arses......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Wow! it is amazing how much money our government has spent on camo patterns for the military. They could have save millions by just coming to the Campfire and finding out how unnecessary it really is.

Originally Posted by rattler

not to mention we are dealing with one critter that can see color and detail really well(us) and another that cant(deer) [bleep] me common sense really is near extinct.....

Indeed. It's amazing the government spends millions on public education yet turns out specimens like HitnRun who seem to lack critical thinking skills. whistle

Also, consider the need for a "uniform" that tells one side from the other. If every military in the world wore the exact same camo we'd have a lot more blue-on-blues.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by RiesigJay
Originally Posted by HitnRun

Originally Posted by rattler

Indeed. It's amazing the government spends millions on public education yet turns out specimens like HitnRun who seem to lack critical thinking skills. whistle

Also, consider the need for a "uniform" that tells one side from the other. If every military in the world wore the exact same camo we'd have a lot more blue-on-blues.

You becha Einstein, Critical thinking skills is exactly what is lacking in all the unnecessary need of camo, but when that is mentioned "tongue in cheek" all of a sudden it becomes necessary. We should have breakfast with all the "Waffling" going on here.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Perntly no one has sliped into a bar with a bra on his head in cognieto.grin

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (44mc, 6mmCreedmoor, 7887mm08, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, 10 invisible), 1,607 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.