Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
NICE stock SC... I shot Ken's .35 Rem Saturday and it just goes "pop"... The reason I think that the .358 Winchester is better is that it is just so much more versatile.

One can load it "down" to .35 Rem velocities

One can load MUCH heavier bullets and still make enough velocity to have them expand

Although I love the .350 RM with the .358 Winchester heavy bullets or bullets with long ojives don't have to be deep-seated in the Remington short actions with the 2.800" box magazine...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nice little rifle and perfect for huntin New England woods. The 35 Rem would be a sweet little gun in the same configuration. Good luck and enjoy. Never understood why Rem discontinued and they are getting harder to find

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJM
NICE stock SC... I shot Ken's .35 Rem Saturday and it just goes "pop"... The reason I think that the .358 Winchester is better is that it is just so much more versatile.

One can load it "down" to .35 Rem velocities

One can load MUCH heavier bullets and still make enough velocity to have them expand

Although I love the .350 RM with the .358 Winchester heavy bullets or bullets with long ojives don't have to be deep-seated in the Remington short actions with the 2.800" box magazine...

Bob

I agree .... No need to sell me on a 358Win. I've owned several over the yrs and have another on a SS 700 getting done this month. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the Remington Seven stainless rifles, have owned them chambered for most of the cartridges that Remington has offered, and still have them in 223, 243, 260, and 7mm SAUM. Have had them in 22-250, 7mm-08, and 308 but used those actions as donors for other applications.

I think that Remington's decision to drop the stainless Model Seven was typical of Remington's all too common boneheaded marketing moves.

My only complaints about the stainless Models Seven were that they tend to be butt-heavy and that the laminated styles would have been nicer if Remington had copied the laminated 700 LSS-MR stock instead of a straight copy of the Walnut Seven stock with that had the big ugly schnabled fore-end tip.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
All the Sevens seem butt-heavy to me in factory guise with any version of their wood stocks.

I have hollowed a couple of them out and put on a flip-flop pad, and that gets the balance back to neutral.

They really shine in a lightweight synthetic though.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
In general, I prefer my Remington Sevens with longer barrels. The best balanced factory specs Remington Seven that I've had are the 7SS in 7mm SAUM. The 20" Sevens fit nicely into the McM Compact and Mountain Rifle stocks. The only other brand of after-market synthetic stocks that I've had on Sevens were a couple for Bansnar/HTS and an H-S Precision Pro-Series Sporter, neither of which I cared for enough to keep around for more than a short visit to the gun room.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Mine is my most recent rifle purchase, built by two of BC's BEST smiths, as a "mountain rifle" for one of them.

Rem. later "4-hole" sts Mod. 7 action.

Blueprinted, trued, slabbed and with a PTG fluted bolt, light shroud and re-built factory safety/trigger as well as "speed" spring-pin. It has an original "Ti" bolt handle welded to the bolt body, to further cut weight and also be secure.

Gaillard 22" "Mountain Rifle" barrel, sts-22"-7/08

The Micky "KS" Edge stock, painted a very nice "forest" green and webbed in black and a little white, REALLY sharp!

At present, a Talley 1-pce. QD base and rings holding a Leupy VX2-2x7.

Weight-6.4 lbs, empty and balanced like a Purdey 20 bore.

I just got this last month and have not been able to get to the range, as yet. I fully expect, knowing the guys who built it, that I should be able to do .6" average at 100M, with, hopefully, the 140NP, a bullet with which I have killed some deer and which has shot "bugholes" for me in my various 7x57 rifles.

This and rifles like it, perhaps with various little differences to suit individual idiosyncrasies, is probably as close to the "all around" hunting rifle for North America, and the game most hunters actually shoot, as is ever going to evolve for we average hunters to obtain and use,

It was NOT "cheap", but, I will be using it long after some of my other rifles have become burdens beyond my aging capacity to carry.

So, I gotta agree, Remmy dropped the ball on discontinuing this model!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
one of my 7mm-08 M7s. this one was merely peeled out of the factory Tupperware, blessed with a Jewell, and dropped into a McMillan M7 KS stock using a M700 SA ADL mag box. I don't know about micro-groups, but it will break clay pigeons at 500 meters easily enough. I've settled on the 1.5-5 to occupy the talleys.

but all in all, the M7 could be my favorite rifle model. I've examples ranging from .223 AI to .350 RM and love 'em all.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Seems like I've messed with quite a few Mod 7's over the years, but I have really settled on the SS Mod 7's as of late. Sold the 7mm08 and kept the .260 & .243, both shooters. Bought a .223 with the sale funds but have yet to shoot it.
I have had great success with bullets in the 120-130 gr. range in the .260, from coyotes to elk.
All my rifles have the factory synthetic stock but I really need to spend the bucks to try a lighter stock.
I kind of consider them the "poor man's mountain rifle".

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Sorta weird looking, 21", 7 twist Brux .22-204, SS M-7 in Lone Wolf Summit stock with Jewell trigger. Scope is now a Leupold 1.5-5x20 in Talley LW's. It's easier to shoot offhand with the 1.5X than with higher power. I ran a 4X Zeiss for a while but like this set up better. The Jewell is set at 1.5#'s. Light rifles need light triggers, IMHO.

This is a handy hog and 'yote rifle. It does very well with 75 gr. BTHP's, VLD's and Amax's, shooting sub inch off the bench, one BTHP/Varget load going sub half inch.

DF

[Linked Image]

IC B3

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I bought a .260 at the same shop that I picked up this .308 a few years ago... It was cheap and ended up deciding to sell it rather get into another caliber and wait for a .308 to come along...

Going to have to get one of the KS stocks for this...it just shoots too well...

Bob

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Sorta weird looking,

DF

[Linked Image]

AWESOME! You built you built your own boat paddle!!!

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by RJM
I bought a .260 at the same shop that I picked up this .308 a few years ago... It was cheap and ended up deciding to sell it rather get into another caliber and wait for a .308 to come along...

Going to have to get one of the KS stocks for this...it just shoots too well...

Bob

Should have kept the 260. I love mine.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Sorta weird looking,

DF

[Linked Image]

AWESOME! You built you built your own boat paddle!!!

DMc

Actually traded for it, already with Jewell trigger and Lone Wolf Summit stock. I swapped the .223 factory barrel for a slightly longer .22-204 Brux. It's pretty handy and very light. Takes some getting used to from an aesthetic point of view.

As Forest Gump said, "Pretty is as pretty does".

DF

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
dave...I'm sure they are a great shooter in that caliber. What I really needed though was a smaller caliber long range rifle. Had a Remington 600/6.5 RM but just wasn't getting the velocity I wanted so sold it also. Ended up buying a gun/cartridge combination that I had always wanted...a Remington 700 in .257 Weatherby Magnum. Less than .5 MOA accuracy, 120 grain bullets at 3200 fps and light recoil with 4" groups at 600 yards...

Bob

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Bob,

Fits in nicely with your other carbines. Good luck with it and nice find.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RJM
Thursday night I was at a big local shop and found a mint one just like I had found my friend's nephew for $495.00. Had a Weaver base and rings with a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8 waiting patiently to be mounted on something....

That's about the best price I've heard one go for in a while. I bought one for about the same price with a vx III 1.75x on it couple years back - very nice snag!!

Last edited by setch; 08/09/13.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
They are running them again.
7mm08 on the way...

Last edited by snowwalker; 06/04/16.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I guess that I'll have to get one in 7mm-08 this go around also, don't want to let it slip by me again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the current stocks better than the old ones. Still injection molded, but much lighter than the old pebble-finish ones.

Now with even more aplomb
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (219DW, 160user, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 48 invisible), 1,833 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,676
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.