24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

God bless the man that started this thread!!!!! Thanks. I'm planning a trip to BC in 2015. smile

Thank you to all contributors.

shane and family

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
BP-B2

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Shane;
You are most welcome sir and thanks for the kind words.

The thanks however belongs to the good folks who've contributed to gather the information and links into one place.

Hopefully folks will check in from time to time and update the links or new helpful information.

All the best to you and your family sir and good luck on your hunt.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This is an awesome thread Dwayne,I've looked at it many times and haven't posted on it yet.There are many good guide outfits ib BC providing great hunts.Do your homework(references,etc.)the same as you would for an exspensive hunt at home or in Alaska,all outfitters are not created equal!There is a huge variety of game available,as well as some good waterfowling and a course,kickass fishing.I only wish we could host some of our Campfire friends up here,but we can't because of a sweetheart deal between the Governent and the outfitters.I can think of a number of guys from the Campfire that I would have loved to show BC to. Monahee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
B
B
Enter for your chance to WIN 1 of 5 Ultimate BRMB Prizes Packs valued at $500! These amazing prizes can be yours by helping BRMB unlock Level 5 of the Adventure Contest.

All you need to do is Like Backroad Mapbooks Facebook Page and Enter the contest: http://a.pgtb.me/F6MpM5

Help us hit that next milestone by sharing this link with your friends and you could be one of the lucky winners!

Attached Images
93kb.jpg (31.91 KB, 185 downloads)
5 X $500 Premium Prize Packs to be WON!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
This is too good a thread to get stalled out with a little advertising.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is a very good thread. I would contribute that if you are after moose, be sure and establish with your outfitter how readily the area can be accessed by First Nation hunters.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad
This is a very good thread. I would contribute that if you are after moose, be sure and establish with your outfitter how readily the area can be accessed by First Nation hunters.

Why would you do that?? I presume you had a bad experience??

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, open season all year long tends to thin the herd a bit.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I would well imagine, there would not be much you would not want to know about a proposed area. Spending that kind of money, and seeing the same number of game animals you left at home in the back yard. (None?)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Saw one cow, had a bull tag. Had a very enjoyable trip, saw lots of great scenery, spent wonderful time in the midst of it, had fantastic company and very friendly hosts, caught some fish, and took home fantastic memories, but as you mentioned, could have had all of that without the hefty moose hunt price.

IC B3

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
5sdad;
I'm sorry to read that you had less than an optimum moose hunt up here sir.

One of the reasons I encourage folks to talk to references who have and have not taken game with an outfitter is that sometimes the sort of situation that you faced might be found out before you put your money down.

Please don't misread anything in what I've said to indicate that I think you are at fault in any way as emphatically that's not my intent.

I do know that back in the day when we had an open 3/4 curl California Bighorn season many of the guided hunters were very taken aback at how many hunters there were - lots of locals that is - and how much resulting hunting pressure resulted.

Now I will say in defense of the outfitters and guides that many if not most of the guided hunters either got a ram or had opportunity to turn one down, but I got the distinct impression a couple of times that the hunters were expecting a much different experience than they'd received.

Now I'm certain that there may well be times when a Native band will head into a new hunting area in a big way, but typically they are creatures of habit and like to hunt the same places just like I do.

Anyway again I'm sorry to read about your experience with the lack of game seen. That makes for a long and less than palatable hunt for sure.

All the best to you and yours in the upcoming week sir.

Regards,
Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 08/05/13. Reason: added info

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dwayne, thank you for your kind words. As I said, I had a wonderful experience and hold no ill will toward my hosts - they were great to be around and put a lot of effort into the hunt. My hope was to, as you point out, encourage others to check the native hunter aspect of the area they are considering. My best to you and yours in the upcoming week as well. (I look forward with eager anticipation as our son, d-i-l and two grandsons (3 and 5) are coming to visit.) John

BC30cal Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
5sdad;
You are of course most welcome sir.

As I've mentioned previously, but will again for the record, I'm not related to or profiting from any guide or outfitter in BC. Never was either just to be clear.

Now I do know guides and outfitters and I also know locals who are doing their best to end all hunting for anyone who is not a resident.

I "get" both sides and in all truth both have points to be made and considered.

My reasons for starting this thread and encouraging it along are that hunts here aren't cheap and folks coming up here should have a better shot(double entendre very much intended) at a positive memorable hunt if they do some homework up front.

Your hosts might not have known what was up with the local band, but I have no illusions that some outfitters will sell hunts for which no animals exist or at very least very, very few.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing your experience as it absolutely puts an exclamation point to some of the suggestions made here by me and many others.

All the best to you and your family this week - save up some energy for the grandsons!

Regards,
Dwayne

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Medoubts John, that you are the Lone Ranger of moose hunting.
Truth be told, the truth is told less than might be.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Funny you would say that, they have been doing the 'open season all year long' for say at least 10,000 years. I think you've been taken in by an urban myth. No doubt that environmental issues [wolves & habitat destruction] have had far more impact on game herds than hunting, and up here it's not unusual for trains to kill more than the annual allowable harvest [for all hunters]of moose.

IF what your after is untouched wilderness hunting, you have to look for no road access, no major rivers that hunters can travel by jet boats, no railway tracks, and no power or pipeline right of ways. [very limited access]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I probably didn't make my point, which was to check on easy access for First Nation hunters to the area to be hunted, clear enough. My apologies.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Good topic. I wrote an article for "Bowhunter" on this subject last year. I have spent the last 27-years guiding hunters in Northern BC & Yukon. One of the things most hunters are surprised at when they come north is the low game densities here in Western Canada. There's been a lot of talk on here about references.....for the most part you can forget that......Good outfitters will have good references but so will bad ones......If you are looking for a quality hunt, you are going to pay premium prices. Period. My best advice is to look for outfitters who have been in the business for many years. These guys are not in it for a fast buck.....they like the lifestyle.....Once you have narrowed your search, one of the most telling questions you can ask is how long has the outfitters guides worked for him?? Every outfitter has some new guides but stay away from guys with a new crew each year.....Remember this: you might NEVER see your outfitter......but you WILL spend your entire hunt with your guide. The outfitter I work for now has three guides of which I am one that have worked for him for more than 15-years. Ive been with him since 93. In general for big moose I wouldnt consider anything south of Williston Lake in BC......the Yukon is even better. Hope this helps. If anyone want to PM me for more info feel free.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter

Funny you would say that, they have been doing the 'open season all year long' for say at least 10,000 years. I think you've been taken in by an urban myth. No doubt that environmental issues [wolves & habitat destruction] have had far more impact on game herds than hunting, and up here it's not unusual for trains to kill more than the annual allowable harvest [for all hunters]of moose.

IF what your after is untouched wilderness hunting, you have to look for no road access, no major rivers that hunters can travel by jet boats, no railway tracks, and no power or pipeline right of ways. [very limited access]

As you are aware but try to ignore, hunting 10 000 years ago did not include scoped high-powered rifles, 4x4's, ATV's or spotlights, so the harvest rate was exponentially smaller.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a client who owns a ranch outside of Calgary, Alberta. we talked about hunting/fishing for couple of years now, and he offered I can come up on his ranch. Buddy and I are looking into taking him up on his offer next year.
I will look into some of these link provided. just havent had time to read everything.
I pretty much have NO Idea how to go about on out of country hunt. rifles across border, tags or anything. Is there a general tag, or draw only? guided hunt only since we are non citizen or we can hunt with him?
We/I are open for any big game.
Any tips or things to look into would be much appreciated.
PM are also welcome. thanks in advance

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dre,

I'm not 100% on this so I'll appreciate input/correction but if your buddy isn't an outfitter, you'll need to go the "host-a-hunter" route, ie, he will have to sponsor you. And he'll need to initiate that paperwork.

As well, you'll likely need an additional sponsor for your buddy. (Don't think Albertan's can host more than one person)

Getting a rifle across the border is easy. You declare your firearms in writing with a CAFC 909 Non-Resident Firearm Declaration and pay the $25 fee.

On the tag thing, I think it depends what/where you're hunting.
When I hunted with my friend Jordan in AB two years ago, the whitetail tag was OTC.

Hope that helps or at the very least starts a discussion.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
336 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 36 invisible), 2,011 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.