24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I learned something today......All my life I have shot off a bench sitting on a stool or chair. When I built my bench in my new shop I made my bench high enough that I stand straight up when I shoot. There is a major difference in recoil. Normally a 375 H&H will get a little uncomfortable after 20 or 30 rounds. Today I shot about 50 with a 375 and about 50 with a 340 Wby. My neck or shoulder isn't sore and I never got a headache like I usually do. I am not sure why I didnt think of this years ago. I always knew standing shooting offhand was easier on the body but it never dawned on me to make a bench this high. I have a window in my shop that I shoot through so I dont get any muzzle blast and very little noise. Dont have to fight those damn bugs outside either. Yeah, I think things are finally headed my way .
<br>Charlie Sisk

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good post, Charlie! Glad to see you're still alive.
<br>Got any ink in your pen?
<br>Been reading your e-mail lately?
<br>Cheers!
<br>Ken

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks Charlie. I learned long ago, to shoot another's cannon off hand to "check his sights for him". I kinda like the sand bag on the shoulder idea too. E

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Eremicus
<br>I use ankle weights, the kind you use when you go walking. They have velcro straps on the ends so I hook the ends together and throw one over the front of my shoulder and the other over the back. They stay in place real well and add 10 pounds of weight right where you need it.
<br>Charlie Sisk

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks Charlie. E

IC B2

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn!
<br>
<br>Who would figure that a little extra weight around your ankles would reduce recoil! (grin)
<br>
<br>Seriously though, a stand-up bench makes a lot of sense. The IW range I use has very low benches that make you lean into the rifle w/o solid leg support. It is an ugly experience with any hard kicker.
<br>
<br>I think the design was meant to accommodate young shooters but all I see are are old farts bent double... 1B

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mr. Sisk
<br>
<br>Nothing new under the sun, that is how the Brits have regulated and sighted in big calibre rifles at least since breechloaders came in - and maybe before, I have a 6 bore flintlock rifle by Jover, London, and I'll bet the single standing leaf sight wa not filed in from a seated benchrest.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Charlie,
<br>I have raised one bench at our local range for stand-up shooting as I find too many Alaskans buying lightweight 375s and wanting me to sight them in. When sighting in those lightweights or 378 WB, I loop a strap around my 50 pound front sand bag and back around the butt of the rifle...that way when the rifle recoils it must drag the front bag with it also.....
<br>
<br>When I tell these lightweight magnum owners to sight-in their own rifles......they usually trade them off before the next season.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Charlie and VernAK
<br>
<br>Does hanging all that weight on the rifle affect the zero, i.e., will it shoot the same without the weights?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Charlie and Vern, I have a similar question. How can your point of impact not change with all that weight hanging on the gun? The gun starts to recoil before the bullet is out of the barrel and if the recoil is changed by weight on the gun, doesn't your point of impact also change ? Kind of like hanging a sling on a barrel and then tightening it down to shoot. That too has to change your point of impact and your rifle's grouping ability, doesn't it. Please discuss this, I am interested. Target shooters say to get your best group always hold your gun the same way and with the same amount of pressure. Adding weight seems the antithesis of that.

Rolly
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen guys do this and I've tried it a couple times myself and it seems to work wonders to reduce felt recoil when sighting in a medium or big bore.
<br>
<br>The trick is to attach a piece of strap to a heavy sandbag, then loop it around behind the butt of the rifle and between the butt and your shoulder contact. The rifle will act normally for the shot, but will need to push you and the sandbag back during recoil, lessening the recoil on your shoulder a bit. I've never noticed a POI shift doing it this way and it sure can save your shoulder during a long day of shooting. These days, however, I prefer to use a PAST Magnum pad to do basically the same thing without the hassle.- Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Sheister,
<br>I probably didn't describe the process very well....but there is no weight "hanging" on the rifle....the strap only goes behind the butt pad....between the pad and your shoulder.....my heavy sandbag came with that strap and instructions for use.....Past pads are also a big help....this stand-up shooting is far easier on the old neck injuries....

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sorry I wasnt clear but I put the weight between the butt of the rifle and my shoulder. I think hanging weight on the rifle itself would certainly change the point of impact and grouping. Yes this isnt new. I just wish I had figured this out years ago. I get aggravated at myself now and then for not thinking of the most simple things. Like they say, you live and learn.
<br>Charlie Sisk

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you go to the UltraLight web-site they show a picture of what we are talking about and they sell it as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used Mel Forbes' Bench Wizard for years, and it really does make a difference!

There is a very fine line between idiotic and clever. Most internet posters have no idea where it is.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
710 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.