Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't know if there are advantages, my first thought was they're saving money. But it must be more expensive to have developed machining set-ups for the lug locks into the barrel.

I'm only guessing they are trying to eliminate vibrations from traveling through threads? Maybe some engineers would know if this is better, or maybe some firing tests.

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by SEdge
John there web site says it uses 700 mounts, is the one you have different from the production guns?

Not JB, but the Mauser website says they use the same bases as a M98, and the Sauer website says they use M700 bases.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I wish more companies would start "Tenifer-ing" or Melaniting their rifles, inside and out. Better corrosion resistance than stainless steel, better wear properties than chrome lining - what more could a guy ask for? And since it's a surface conversion not a coating, one doesn't have to make a bore undersize to allow for the process.

Blaser uses a similar process on the outside of their rifles, but not in the bore as per one of their reps I spoke to.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Ranger, you may have just healed my new rifle fever! I have not seen any of these for sale, where did you get the price?

S.O.G.

http://stateofguns.com/sauer-101-1087/

While what John explained about European's & cost's is true, what's in YOUR wallet ? laugh

YMMV, but there's not that much in mine.............

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I use a Blaser R-93. Barrels are quick change and the lugs lock directly to the barrel. ( Mounts are on the barrel on these.). Sub inch groups are normal with both the .22-250 and .270, and I am old and shakey. A younger person with skill could likely do even better. IMHO, when the lugs engage the barrel directly, lack of screwed in barrels is a non issue provided the barrel is well fitted. The Blaser doesn't even have a front receiver ring. The barrel bolts to an action extension.

I really do not think the lack of barrel threads will be of concern as to accuracy and durability. I like what I see on the 101. Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot a Blaser R-93 myself, and if I was in the market for a rifle and didn't have the Blaser, I could see myself with a Sauer 101 or the Mauser M-12. The way they do the barrel on the Sauer would not be a deal breaker for me. Contrary to what most think, barrels last a long long time. And these are hunting rifles, so if you shoot one out ok, buy another. 1500 dollars while is not cheap its in line with Sako's and some of the other guns that are out there.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Haven't done the touchy/feely thing with one of these yet, but gotta say, while I'm not immediately in the market for a new rifle due to economic circumstances, when the day comes this puppy is going to be very high on my short list.

Only issue for me that stands out would be the mounting for a Harris bipod.

I agree with JB's observation that standards of quality we accept here the European market simply wouldn't put up with.

Last edited by sir_springer; 08/10/13.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Arac
The press in barrel was really a bummer for me. What is the point? Are there any advantages to that system?

Same opinion here. What in the world was wrong with the clamped barrel? Why change a good thing? 202 Light weight is the best rifle I've ever owned.

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

415 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 33 invisible), 1,783 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,575
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.