Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by cwh2

Where you at in Nodak?

Jamestown...

Glad to hear you're happy with the pack so far.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by cwh2
I was really impressed with the demo pack I got to play with, although I didn't haul any dead stuff with it. I did put 10 days worth of camp in it, with a couple of steel plates in the meat compartment, and took a walk down a few icy trails. It handled that nicely. It also highlighted that my sleeping bag is freakin' huge, and I should probably look for something that compresses smaller than the size of a 2 year old Lab.

I also buckled the old lady into the sling, and packed her around the house until she had enough of that. Didn't really prove anything, but it did make me laugh. Sorry TDL, should have probably mentioned that.

I expect an old man dressed in red to drop one down my chimney in the next couple weeks, and I'll do my best to abuse and report.

Where you at in Nodak?

What bag have you been using currently that will be getting replaced by the Stone Glacier? I have yet to get my hands on one but would like to try one out.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Barney's Pinnacle primarily, although I am fairly pack heavy at the moment and need to thin the herd a bit... I can see the Terminus replacing it for all sheep and goat hunting.

Are you around Anchorage? TDL (above) has one that he loaned me. You'd certainly be welcome to take a look at mine when it comes in.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got one of the Solo packs a couple of weeks ago. I loaded it up with two bags of water softener salt (80 pounds total) and took it out for a hike. I am very pleased with it so far.

To be honest, I was a little skeptical that a pack this light could be comfortable with a heavy load, but the frame is very ridgid and the suspension fits my body type well.

I will take it on several backpack trips this spring and summer and if it holds up, I will use it on a Dall sheep hunt in AK in August.

FWIW, mine weighs 3.62 pounds on my digital scale, so the advertised weight is very close.

Chet

Last edited by ChetAF; 01/23/13.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
I
I
Been a few months since any posts on here. Just wondered if anyone has anything new to add on these packs. I've been looking hard at them, and liking what I"m seeing so far.

I know...this is my first post, hopefully many more to come!

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I got one for christmas. Have been packing/playing with it, but not much hunting yet. That all changes in about 10 days.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a Solo and have been using it quite a bit over the summer on overnight scouting trips and just as a daypack. It's the best pack I've used so far. Looking to see how it does with some heavy loads later on in the fall.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have quite a few miles with the SG Solo on my back so I will comment a bit.

First, the bag is designed for someone with a minimalist approach, which for my style of backpacking/hunting is great. One of the knocks I have heard over time is that it really isn't big enough to get a full week of gear and food in. I think it is, but it will take a some real planning and strapping a few things to the outside.

The size of this bag makes the load shelf functional. With some of the bigger packs that have this option, my opinion is that there is potential to get the weight too far back with a full pack. The Solo bag is small enough that it won't throw the weight way out there.

The panel loader is a good design, and provides easy access to the main compartment. The two pockets are in well thought out spots, and make it easy to find a few of the pieces that tend to need their own space. The rest of my gear ends up in ditty bags or dry sacks, so why double up on organization?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 14idaho, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,561 guests, and 719 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,519
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.