-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
This is a 350 44.cal WLN (softnosed) from a 445 SuperMag. It runs the bullet about 1,250 from the muzzle; this deer was hit at a lasered 125 yds., so the impact speed was around 1,000 fps. By all accounts, it opened up.

Entrance [Linked Image]

Exit [Linked Image]

Of course I just enjoy making my own bullets and testing them out and since we butcher our own stuff, the autopsies that go with it.

If anyone wants to "not claim as a lie", but finds my "stories" fishy or has any issues to the veracity of my statements and desires a witness, please do so....

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by logcutter
Cast versus jacketed has been around in hunting handguns forever,mainly because there were no jacketed bullets that would penetrate at lower velocities like cast do. Today it is different with the new hot rods there.

If you want a bullet not to expand and do the extra damage, shoot cast in the lower velocity hunting handguns. If you want to do the most damage to the game for a quicker kill, use a quality jacketed bullet at a higher velocity..

Which is more deadly, a tsx that doesn't expand or a nosler or an a-frame that does in the same diameter, exit or not?

Pistols are no different.

Jayco

Uh, not really.

Jacketed bullets were created first to allow the ammo companies a way to get around leading in magnum revolvers and feeding issues in autos, since "hardened" lead was basically lead/tin.

Halfway reliable expansion with jacketed bullets in handguns was many years and miles later. Bear in mind getting a reliable jacketed bullet from a powerful rifle didn't show up until 1948.

If you really want to do some damage with a handgun, lead alloys will provide it, at the high end or the lowest end, but its not a "one size fits all" proposition like many folks demand.

Like so many things, getting the best things in life isn't always about money, but its always about work and effort....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I want a bullet to mushroom like this out of my .454 on deer up to 50 yds. Is that possible, if so, what FPS would i have to load it to? Also, i have to cast it, there is no where to buy it?

Last edited by j1r11; 12/24/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JJHACK
In an earlier post here there is a claim made by a man that shot "crater" bullets through a stack of 6 feet of wet newsprint at 100 yards.

While I'm not claiming this is a "lie" I would sure like to understand more of this event. I've shot through a lot of stuff in my life especially when I first got my 458 Lott. I rather doubt that my 458 Lott could shoot through 6 feet of wet newsprint at 100 yards. Wet.... damp? News print can be very difficult to penetrate in length. It tends to stack and compress very well. I don't think I have ever shot through even three or 4 feet with a rifle. Maybe I have heavy duty news print here?

This guy claims he did this with a 420 grain bullet at 1600fps from a 45/70.

My 458 Lott was shooting 2300 with a 500 grain bullet. Even the solid tungsten bullets would not likely go through 6 feet of stacked news print. I'm not sure anything you can fire from the shoulder will! Now maybe there was some kind of placement of the paper that was unique, or wet to the point of pulpy paper or other unknowns.

I guess the point I'm making here is that " If you read it on the internet it must be true right?"

Something way fishy about a story like that and it does nothing to improve the credibility of the rest of the story which may actually be accurate. I tend to throw the whole set of ideas out the window when there is such a high level of simply unbelievable content.
You may want to get some of these calibers and try some testing yourself before you claim others may be lying. Penetration within that slower velocity range has been documented time and again. A 45/70 will out penetrate a 458 win mag. I have a copy of American rifeman where a guy took a marlin 45/70 after cape buffalo. Using the garret load(relatively slow velocity), he shot through the first Buff and hit a econd almost completely pentrating that one too. Both buff were cleanly taken. High velocity kills game, but so does low velocity. High velocity is not a magic slayer of animals.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
And what does yuor post tell you? Maybe the guy isnt lying and that higher velocity doesnt penetrate further after all.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Hope everyone here has a very merry Christmas!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Originally Posted by JJHACK
In an earlier post here there is a claim made by a man that shot "crater" bullets through a stack of 6 feet of wet newsprint at 100 yards.

While I'm not claiming this is a "lie" I would sure like to understand more of this event. I've shot through a lot of stuff in my life especially when I first got my 458 Lott. I rather doubt that my 458 Lott could shoot through 6 feet of wet newsprint at 100 yards. Wet.... damp? News print can be very difficult to penetrate in length. It tends to stack and compress very well. I don't think I have ever shot through even three or 4 feet with a rifle. Maybe I have heavy duty news print here?

This guy claims he did this with a 420 grain bullet at 1600fps from a 45/70.

My 458 Lott was shooting 2300 with a 500 grain bullet. Even the solid tungsten bullets would not likely go through 6 feet of stacked news print. I'm not sure anything you can fire from the shoulder will! Now maybe there was some kind of placement of the paper that was unique, or wet to the point of pulpy paper or other unknowns.

I guess the point I'm making here is that " If you read it on the internet it must be true right?"

Something way fishy about a story like that and it does nothing to improve the credibility of the rest of the story which may actually be accurate. I tend to throw the whole set of ideas out the window when there is such a high level of simply unbelievable content.
You may want to get some of these calibers and try some testing yourself before you claim others may be lying. Penetration within that slower velocity range has been documented time and again. A 45/70 will out penetrate a 458 win mag. I have a copy of American rifeman where a guy took a marlin 45/70 after cape buffalo. Using the garret load(relatively slow velocity), he shot through the first Buff and hit a econd almost completely pentrating that one too. Both buff were cleanly taken. High velocity kills game, but so does low velocity. High velocity is not a magic slayer of animals.

That was Brian Pierce in Rifle magazine.

I shot a moose once with my .500 Linebaugh -- 500 grain bullets at 1,200 fps (from the muzzle). All shots over 100 yards, all exits and the impact velocity was somewhere around 1,100 fps if that. There is no lack of penetration even at relatively low velocities.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Hope everyone here has a very merry Christmas!!!!

Oh, and Merry Christmas back at 'ya!!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE.

Gunner

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yep, Merry Christmas, gents.

Even the 45/70 "cult" and "fishy" people....(grins)

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

btw Ive done a fair amount of testing bullets shooting them into various back stop mediums.
Id point out that its been my experience that a 44 mag has has limitations with bullets heavier than the 300-310 grain range simply because the cylinder length limits loaded cartridges over all length, and barrel twist rates in some guns that limit how heavy you can go on bullets.
the 300 grain lee and lyman bullets are about the max length that you can load before the bullet volume crimped below the case mouth begins to restrict useable powder space with the slower pistol powders.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/51...0-diameter-310-grain-flat-nose-gas-check

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/50...meter-300-grain-semi-wadcutter-gas-check

EXAMPLE
ive purchased and tested both these NEI designs and while they have proven to be effective in the longer case 445 dan wesson super mag, they can,t be loaded to enough velocity to markedly out perform the slightly lighter designs in penetration or accuracy ,I linked to above in a 44 mag in my experience.
they do work rather well in the larger 445 dwsm, but not to the extent I feel they pose any huge advantage.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog.html

Last edited by 340mag; 12/25/12.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The very hardest thing for me is when anyone wants more velocity from their gun. "How much pressure?" Many want a .44 special at over .44 mag. Same with those that want a .45 Colt at .454 levels. They move to a .460. It is a velocity syndrome like rifle shooters. Until you realize it is DISTANCE not what you need at 50 yards or under will you get it right.
All calibers work but some things are not needed where you hunt. The .44 special is just fine as is the .44 mag.
I just can't run down what anyone shoots but please tailor what you shoot for distance and the size of the animals.
It is up to you to find what works.
340mag made some good comments on twist rates and it is 100% true. Yet I shoot a 330 gr WLN of my making from a home made mold from my .44 mag that kills deer like a hammer and it fits the Rugers with space to spare. It has a long nose with less in the powder space. It also matched the ogive close to the forcing cone angle. It has shot 1-5/16" at 200 yards. No more velocity is needed.
Why is it so hard to see that you need to make your bullet/boolit work at how fast you shoot?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Bringing this thread back from the dead because i have sold my .454 and switched to a 629 Smith 44 mag 8". I need some help with choices on bullets.

I want to kill whitetail deer under 50yds with open sights. My past has not been good with bloodtrails with HP bullets in .454, so that's why i am looking at Cast FP's.

Please critique my choices here and which should do the best job for what i have in mind. All will be handloaded.

1) 240 gr XTP (had a bunch of these loaded already @ 1300 fps.)

2) http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=CP44%2F255PB

3) http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=CP44%2F300

4) http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/details.php?id=91

5) http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/details.php?id=90

I am trying to understand this wide meplat thing. The Cast Performance 255 gr. has a .350 as opposed to everyone's .340.

Am i better off with a heavy 300 gr. with a .340 meplat or a lighter 255gr. with a .350 meplat? I can load them to whatever velocity would be best.

I realize shot placement is everything, but i need a bloodtrail as i hunt in thick northeast woods.

One side note--the very first bullet i tried in my old .454 was a 300gr. win. JFP. This bullet gave me the best bloodtrail and reaction (deer fell down) then got up and walked away (could not get another shot). I lost the blood trail after 300 yards in a snowstorm, but found the deer another 100yds away the next morning.

I switched bullets because i thought with such a big bullet the deer should not have gone far. That got me trying hollow points at faster/slower velocity's, now i am beginning to thing i need to come back to FP's.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by j1r11; 08/12/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have only shot 480Rugers

very nice to shoot

but I have only shot hot 325g bullets not the 400s

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The thing with handguns is you can choose either a large dia shallow wound i.e. a hollowpoint and no exit, or a smaller dia deeper wound i.e. cast bullet in and out.

Honestly I don't think you'll see a significant difference in killing power between a 250 and 300 gr cast bullet at 1000-1200 fps. They'll punch a hole clean through with a ~1 1/2 to 2 inch diameter wound channel. The animal will lay down and die in time. If you really want to anchor the animal then take out some bone.

As far as meplats, the larger dia meplats will disrupt slightly more flesh but you might find for peak accuracy it's easier to work up a load with a smaller dia meplat.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
The thing with handguns is you can choose either a large dia shallow wound i.e. a hollowpoint and no exit, or a smaller dia deeper wound i.e. cast bullet in and out.

Honestly I don't think you'll see a significant difference in killing power between a 250 and 300 gr cast bullet at 1000-1200 fps. They'll punch a hole clean through with a ~1 1/2 to 2 inch diameter wound channel. The animal will lay down and die in time. If you really want to anchor the animal then take out some bone.

As far as meplats, the larger dia meplats will disrupt slightly more flesh but you might find for peak accuracy it's easier to work up a load with a smaller dia meplat.

I have had only 1 bloodtrail out of 6 deer shot with hollowpoints, all of which were pass throgh's. The problem is the HP is not expanding. I shot a dead deer through both scapulas @30 yds with my 454 that i proped up against a tree after i killed it with my rifle ( used shoulder's for trapping bait)and the XTP went right through into the tree. I dug it out and it still was not mushroomed.

I tried to shoot the XTP into water jugs, but after the 5th jug, the bullet took a right turn and i could not find it.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I would use the 260 gr WFN LBT cast by Montana Bullet Works and run it at 1100 fps or so. No mushroom needed with that large meplat. The bullet will pass though from about any angle at 50 yards. The deer might run a bit but it will die in seconds if hit right.

The same design bullet weighing 275 gr cast by CPBC many years ago weighing passed through this guy a few years ago at 40 yards. He dropped after a few leaps. Muzzle velocity was 1,100 fps.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by j1r11
Bringing this thread back from the dead because i have sold my .454 and switched to a 629 Smith 44 mag 8". I need some help with choices on bullets.

I want to kill whitetail deer under 50yds with open sights. My past has not been good with bloodtrails with HP bullets in .454, so that's why i am looking at Cast FP's.

Please critique my choices here and which should do the best job for what i have in mind. All will be handloaded.

2) http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=CP44%2F255PB

3) http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=CP44%2F300

I am trying to understand this wide meplat thing. The Cast Performance 255 gr. has a .350 as opposed to everyone's .340.

Am i better off with a heavy 300 gr. with a .340 meplat or a lighter 255gr. with a .350 meplat? I can load them to whatever velocity would be best.

I realize shot placement is everything, but i need a bloodtrail as i hunt in thick northeast woods.

One side note--the very first bullet i tried in my old .454 was a 300gr. win. JFP. This bullet gave me the best bloodtrail and reaction (deer fell down) then got up and walked away (could not get another shot). I lost the blood trail after 300 yards in a snowstorm, but found the deer another 100yds away the next morning.

I switched bullets because i thought with such a big bullet the deer should not have gone far. That got me trying hollow points at faster/slower velocity's, now i am beginning to thing i need to come back to FP's.

Thanks in advance.

Your problem will be the ability of the 629 to handle 300 gr + boolits. Recoil can damage the gun. I would say 265 gr is tops. It is not velocity or pressure in the S&W, it is heavy recoil with parts inertia.
A good 265 gr like the Ranch Dog and a decent meplat at around 1300 to 1350 fps will be where it is at.
I find no difference between a WLN, WFN or RNFP.
The 429421 Keith under 1400 fps will work. Water dropped WW boolits work.
Once you shoot too fast you can go to maybe 75% WW's and 25% pure lead but water drop them.
The Ruger can shoot heavy but I top out at 330 gr for accuracy with the 1 in 20" twist. The Lee 310 gr is golden cast with WD, WW's. Either will mess up deer with short runs and huge blood trails. These boolits might be too heavy for a S&W. I never shot the enhanced S&W. The gun needs a harder unlocking pin in the center of the cylinder and a stronger cylinder lock spring. After that, you can shoot heavy boolits.
The .44 is perfect as long as you don't look for 1500 fps or use light explosive bullets. The 300 gr XTP will work (NOT THE MAGNUM BULLET.)
I would go with the 265 gr and put 22 gr of 296 behind it with a Fed 150 primer. That should kill a deer FAST and do down to 1/2" at 50 yards with the S&W. It will do the job to 100 yards.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yes, you did see right, a Fed 150 primer. This was a drop test at 200 yards with my 330 gr boolit, 21 gr of 296 and the Fed 150. [Linked Image]

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
Originally Posted by j1r11

Thanks in advance.

Your problem will be the ability of the 629 to handle 300 gr + boolits. Recoil can damage the gun. I would say 265 gr is tops. It is not velocity or pressure in the S&W, it is heavy recoil with parts inertia.
A good 265 gr like the Ranch Dog and a decent meplat at around 1300 to 1350 fps will be where it is at.
I find no difference between a WLN, WFN or RNFP.
The 429421 Keith under 1400 fps will work. Water dropped WW boolits work.
Once you shoot too fast you can go to maybe 75% WW's and 25% pure lead but water drop them.
The Ruger can shoot heavy but I top out at 330 gr for accuracy with the 1 in 20" twist. The Lee 310 gr is golden cast with WD, WW's. Either will mess up deer with short runs and huge blood trails. These boolits might be too heavy for a S&W. I never shot the enhanced S&W. The gun needs a harder unlocking pin in the center of the cylinder and a stronger cylinder lock spring. After that, you can shoot heavy boolits.
The .44 is perfect as long as you don't look for 1500 fps or use light explosive bullets. The 300 gr XTP will work (NOT THE MAGNUM BULLET.)
I would go with the 265 gr and put 22 gr of 296 behind it with a Fed 150 primer. That should kill a deer FAST and do down to 1/2" at 50 yards with the S&W. It will do the job to 100 yards.

I was thinking about the recoil also, so i think i have settled on a 255 or 265gr. The only advantage the same bullet in 300gr. is going to give me is more penetration (which i do not need for whitetail) correct?

What would your pick be for my criteria between these 3?

1) Cast performance 44/255gr. wide flat nose plain base sized to .430 nose .330 meplat .350

2) Montana bullet works LBT
260Gr.
(22)BHN
.429 - .433 Diameter range
Wide Flat Nose
(HT)
(0.350)Meplat

3) Montana bullet works 240gr. WFN with a .350 meplat

All of these are plain base. I do not need a gas check if i keep them under 1,200fps correct? Or, Should i bump them up to 1,300fps with a gas check?

Last edited by j1r11; 08/14/13.
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 2003and2013, 64 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,224
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.