X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by MIVHNTR
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by headhunter130
Unless it has Toyota in the name, no way could it be a good truck. By the way, Ford, brought to you by Mexico and Canada.

LOL! When did toyota start to build a truck? A toyota is nothing more than a sorry little grocery getting, mall shopping POS.

By the way, toyota is brought to you by Japan.

My Super Duty came from Louisville, KY. USA.

My Toyota is UAW made in Texas... And will be running when that POS ford has rattled itself apart.

You remind me of the idiots around here that drive a Harley because it's "American Iron" and at the same time degrade the Japanese bikes because they aren't American iron. Then the big, bad Harley rider jumps into their Japanese POS car/truck and bitches about American made cars/trucks.

A Jap "truck" is still a Jap "truck" no matter where it's built, or who builds it. To think otherwise is just plain foolishness.

BTW, your little POS toyota can't begin to work like a Super Duty. So go to the mall, ride around the parking lot and tell everyone about your big off road shopping adventures.

If you need to pull heavy trailers on a regular basis, I would definitely go with the F350. Other than that, I would take the Toyota. I'm sure the quality gap has narrowed considerably, but the Toyota's still seem to be of somewhat higher quality,on average. Parts are expensive though, which is a definite downside. had one come into the shop today with a leaking power steering hose that was going to cost probably 3 times what a domestic one would have. On the flip side, the truck had over 300 000km on it, and was still on its original ball joints and steering linkage. Thats pretty much unheard of with the domestics.

I fix the damn things for a living,out here in oil country and I look at it like this. Trucks are kinda like politicians; a hell of alot more the same than they are different.
Somebody has good luck with one brand and bad with another,and thereafter sticks to the brand that treated them well. Don't blame them for it, but it sure doesn't mean chit,all things considered. Every manufacturer puts out POS vehicles and they all put out some pretty good ones. In the end, they all end up in the shop getting repairs.

I look for a vehicle thats easy to work on with a reliable drivetrain, couldn't care less what name they glued on the front of the damn thing.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
xxc - I think there is a lot of truth in what you say. But I'll add that I think ANY 2013 truck beats pretty much any pre2000 truck all hollow. They are making amazing machines.

I make mine Fords - and they just plain work.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Stan V
Originally Posted by jorgeI
An Aluminum body? Even the Brits and Italians gave up on that idiotic idea and on a truck? It will look like crap in six months with that thin skin.

Aluminum alloy....we ain't Brit or Italian

Fine for airplanes but for trucks? pass,

I would give it try. A major stumbling block to keeping a truck long term here is that they rust apart in less than ten years.

You fellows are forgetting the old Landrovers, the alloy bodies are all over this land, long after the running gear has rusted away.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Australia has been using natural gas (LPG) since the 70's. The taxi's and buses always use it and many cars have the tanks designed in or added.
When it was introduced, the cost of the gas was about 20% that of petrol. "was", being the operative word.

It is not new technology, the US is way behind in a lot of areas.

That's funny, there are more people in Florida than your whole damn country.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
The thing is American trucks are built for use on paved roads, I doubt 10% of them ever make it off pavement and then only occasionally.

If you go to parts of the world where trucks may never see pavement, the Toyota Landcruiser and Hilux is the truck of choice.

I've driven Fords in the oil fields where they live their lives on gravel roads and they are shook loose by 80k on the odometer.

We actually use our F350's quite a bit off pavement, pulling horse trailers and hauling round bales. No doubt the Toyota would be a better off-road pickup if you weren't pulling or hauling.

I have yet to see a Toyota that could lug 5-6 horses and a 20' gooseneck up some rutted up cow trail that passes for a road.

Most people have a 'heavy' work pickup and use an ATV of some kind for bombing around off-road.

You are correct on one thing, 100k miles is about the max before the pickup needs to be replaced.

I'm a huge fan of Toyota. Matter of fact, Toyota kept my family fed while growing up.

But when somebody that doesn't know what they're talking about gets a little too zealous about Toyota, I use Sam's quote: "I've yet to see a Tundra haulin' a round bale..."

grin

GFY.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Australia has been using natural gas (LPG) since the 70's. The taxi's and buses always use it and many cars have the tanks designed in or added.
When it was introduced, the cost of the gas was about 20% that of petrol. "was", being the operative word.

I could be mistaken, but I don't think Australia is really considered a country.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Score one for Australia... wink

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Perhaps I am missing something here, but what does population density have to do with new technology?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Pete, no one answered your question. Yes, you can select between 2 wheel drive, 4 wheel drive high and 4 wheel drive low.

Yep, I find it pretty hard to beat an F250 and a minivan. Between the two of them, we have almost everything covered. My buddy has a 2 year old Tacoma. I know, even more of a grocery getter, but what I noticed was that fit and finish was no better than a Ford (or dare I say Che....Ceh....Chevoret...umm something like that!).

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BrentD

Score one for Australia... wink

Yes...pretty much what I was thinking.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by xxclaro

I fix the damn things for a living,out here in oil country and I look at it like this. Trucks are kinda like politicians; a hell of alot more the same than they are different.
Somebody has good luck with one brand and bad with another,and thereafter sticks to the brand that treated them well. Don't blame them for it, but it sure doesn't mean chit,all things considered. Every manufacturer puts out POS vehicles and they all put out some pretty good ones. In the end, they all end up in the shop getting repairs.

Exactly what I've seen here in our oil patch.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by headhunter130
Unless it has Toyota in the name, no way could it be a good truck. By the way, Ford, brought to you by Mexico and Canada.

LOL! When did toyota start to build a truck? A toyota is nothing more than a sorry little grocery getting, mall shopping POS.

By the way, toyota is brought to you by Japan.

My Super Duty came from Louisville, KY. USA.

My Toyota is UAW made in Texas... And will be running when that POS ford has rattled itself apart.

You remind me of the idiots around here that drive a Harley because it's "American Iron" and at the same time degrade the Japanese bikes because they aren't American iron. Then the big, bad Harley rider jumps into their Japanese POS car/truck and bitches about American made cars/trucks.

A Jap "truck" is still a Jap "truck" no matter where it's built, or who builds it. To think otherwise is just plain foolishness.

BTW, your little POS toyota can't begin to work like a Super Duty. So go to the mall, ride around the parking lot and tell everyone about your big off road shopping adventures.

The Superduty has a bigger payload and towing capacity, but I spent a putzing around on 2 tracks in the Seminoes one year. I was riding in a Dakota. We had an F250 superduty and a Taco with us. The taco got around the best. The F250 was worst. It wasn't maneuverable, It was so heavy with the powerstroke that it sunk in the mud. The sharp shale fragments tore the front tires up pretty bad, and the suspension didn't flex. Later in the week, we hauled 2 cow elk out of the mountains in the dakota, which it did just fine. We've done 3 in it, but it's too much. If you need to pull a 20k lb gooseneck, get the superduty. If you want to get around on the 2 tracks, get something smaller.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
The thing is American trucks are built for use on paved roads, I doubt 10% of them ever make it off pavement and then only occasionally.

If you go to parts of the world where trucks may never see pavement, the Toyota Landcruiser and Hilux is the truck of choice.

I've driven Fords in the oil fields where they live their lives on gravel roads and they are shook loose by 80k on the odometer.

We actually use our F350's quite a bit off pavement, pulling horse trailers and hauling round bales. No doubt the Toyota would be a better off-road pickup if you weren't pulling or hauling.

I have yet to see a Toyota that could lug 5-6 horses and a 20' gooseneck up some rutted up cow trail that passes for a road.

Most people have a 'heavy' work pickup and use an ATV of some kind for bombing around off-road.

You are correct on one thing, 100k miles is about the max before the pickup needs to be replaced.

I'm a huge fan of Toyota. Matter of fact, Toyota kept my family fed while growing up.

But when somebody that doesn't know what they're talking about gets a little too zealous about Toyota, I use Sam's quote: "I've yet to see a Tundra haulin' a round bale..."

grin

GFY.

Travis

Dude, I'd take a Toyota(like you have) any day for a hunting pickup. They are good machines, lots of my pals in Bozeman had one and they never bitched about breakdowns.

But c'mon, it's a common known fact that Toyota doesn't build a real pickup...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

If I were a farmer, I wouldn't drive one either.

Hahaha! Thems fightin' words in Montana boys!

Travis

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Is the Tundra union made?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave

If I were a farmer, I wouldn't drive one either.

Hahaha! Thems fightin' words in Montana boys!

Travis

Damn right cuzzin'...grin

Tuesday back onto the county road.

Wet gumbo can plug up the 'fenders' on a horse trailer and the wheels get real hard to turn. Dad was checking them before we went home.

[Linked Image]

That Toyota in JStuart's link looked badass, just not practical for alot of stuff.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You're lovin' it.

Travis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I named my junk the 7.3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by saddlesore
They have had 100+ years to do it right and so far haven't.

Biggest problem with aluminum bodies is the fatigue around the welds. I predict the same thing will happen as happens with aluminum framed stock trailers.

^^^ THIS ^^^

On the highway and the city they are Ok.

Not built for the pasture.

But then....an F-150 is a half ton truck. If you want a real pickup, one needs to graduate to at least a 3/4 ton.

That's why you rivet rather than weld.

Age old debate amongst fishing boat owners. The old school riveted boat guys will point to aviation construction.

A lot has to do with specific design parameters, materials, and and quality of work. Riveting a lightweight boat such as Lund-type builds is logical. However, all will eventually leak when used in anything challenging. The way around that with either weld or rivet construction is heavier construction. Of course that kind of defeats the purpose or intent of aluminum in 150s.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 08/15/13. Reason: s to n

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by Berettaman
I dont have time too look at the numbers, but if memory serves me correct, that cute little Toyota would rate just below a half ton pickup here. Perfect for your weekender crowd that pulls a bushel of leaves to the dump once a year and a jet ski to the lake twice. Some creative marketing and you would have a good seller with the wannabe truck owner crowd (of which we have a lot of these days).

I love my F250.

Not sure how your ratings work eactly, but the Land Cruiser is a heavier duty beasty than say the Hilux or Tundra. I would consider those "recreational vehicles" where as the Land Cruiser is definately a commercial vehicle, if that makes sense.

Land Cruiser's of one sort or another are pretty much the vehicle of choice for the various NGO's, the UN and other such agency's when they need a tough vehicle for the Third World..Nissan Patrols are also somewhat popular, but are generally not considered as good a vehicle as the Land Cruiser..

Not sure about the Ford pick-ups, but I get the impression you don't tend to see them much outside the US? Are they exported in any great numbers?

Regards,

Peter

yup Canuck land is full of them EH. Well used up here particularly on the gravel and mud.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,402 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,672
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.