Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Nowadays, when I have a live trapped 'coon I need to dispose of (I have found no animal "rescue" groups that will answer their phone when I need them to take one off my hands, and have been told by someone in the Parks & Wildlife Dept that it is illegal to simply drive them down the road and release them), I drive my riding mower up close to the trap, rev the engine up all the way, and pop the critter with a .22 short. Neighbors only hear the mower, no BATF fee or waiting period required.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good idea!

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I like it, but what happens when there is snow on the ground?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Snowblower.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An empty 2 liter soda bottle works fine too. A little debbil told me dat whistle

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
sounds like a practical use for the assegai I brought back from RSA!

I have always just taken live trapped animals and set the trap in water....return in ten minutes and pour out wet dead victim

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Snowblower.

Ya....I wanna see you try that one where you live now laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Sorry to say that gunfire in town is often a life changing event. Most communities allow firing a pellet gun on your own property as long as it damages no one else's property.

As to snow on the Texas coast - no worries there, that'll be a cold day in hell.

PS I'm sure glad the south invented words like 'I'm, that'll , y'all , you'll, they'll, we'll, and woozum.

Last edited by eyeball; 08/20/13.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Snowblower.

Ya....I wanna see you try that one where you live now laugh

grinYeah, ever since Doc became a transplant Tejano, he thinks a snowblower is a queer eskimo grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
CCI CB Longs. Thank me later.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

I have always just taken live trapped animals and set the trap in water....return in ten minutes and pour out wet dead victim

Then wrap in garbage bag, put in chest freezer until garbage collection day.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Ain't much on purposely drowning anything, seems like way to violent of a death to me.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rost495

Ain't much on purposely drowning anything, seems like way to violent of a death to me.

Yeah. That's why I shoot stuff in the lungs. It's violent free.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Just because I'd rather be shot behind the ear than drown, doesn't mean I won't drown a damn squirrel.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Or something like a Marauder .25 cal air rifle. It has a built in shrouded barrel suppressor system.

[Linked Image]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Come watch my wife when she finds a snake. Violent does not begin to describe...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Just because I'd rather be shot behind the ear than drown, doesn't mean I won't drown a damn squirrel.

I don't think Jeff would make a real good trapper...

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's a proven fact that most red squirrels cannot out-swim a live trap when submerged. But I keep trying to find super squirrel.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
'have been told by someone in the Parks & Wildlife Dept that it is illegal to simply drive them down the road and release them"

Whoever "someone" talked to at the Texas Parks and Wildlife should have been told that it's also illegal in Texas to trap raccoons unless you have a trapper's license.

Last edited by victoro; 08/20/13.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
A real trapper uses a jab stick in the lungs with acetone in the syringe. Its fast quiet and humane.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by kkahmann
A real trapper uses a jab stick in the lungs with acetone in the syringe. Its fast quiet and humane.

I was referencing drowning sets.

Travis

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I use CCI CB Longs myself. Like a loud pellet gun. Can always crank up a lawn mower, snow blower, or leaf blower. Shoot them right behind the head. Quick and quiet. Haven't thought about bagging and freezing until garbage day.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
CB caps here.

Put the barrel in the cage and the 'coon usually bites at it. If you're quick on the trigger it's over in an instant and the coons head works as a muffler.

Saves mower/blower gas....

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Same here. 22cb long or pellet.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
best silencer is to move out of the dam city so you can shoot when you like

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257wby
It's a proven fact that most red squirrels cannot out-swim a live trap when submerged. But I keep trying to find super squirrel.

They ain't no match for a 200gr cast flat-nose bullet from a .44 Special, either. Proved that again over the weekend. wink

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pellet or even high powered BB to the lungs is very effective and can avoid the complication of using a 22.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We killed a truck load of grinners, skunks, feral cats and the occasional raccoon with our pump Crosman air rifles when we were kids. Don't know why that wouldn't still work, especially on animals in a trap. Give 'em the Lincoln shot and it's lights out.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My .264 turns 'em into bird pickings.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I killed 2 possums and a coon with my pellet gun the week before, but with mine you often have to shoot them several times. Wanted to just get this over with, and my suppressed .44 mag is not THAT quiet. That the small city I live on the edge of doesn't like me to shoot pests with a firearm was the point in using the mower to mask the sound of the shot, of course.

Not going to comment on the trapping license comment, but as to snow on the Texas coast, a few years ago we got 10 inches at Christmas time here in Freeport - had snow on the beach for a day or so. (I did like the Snowblower joke, though).

I also don't care to drown animals. A buddy of mine used to live trap cats and drop them in the trap off his dock. He didn't drown them, though, just sort of water boarded them several times. He said when he finally let them out, they NEVER came back to his place again!

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Oh, you better be fast with that acetone filled syringe in Texas in August! Acetone don't stay liquid very long in this heat!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
An empty 2 liter soda bottle works fine too. A little debbil told me dat whistle

Just for the fun of it and for educational purposes...a South Australian company used to provide an item that would be of use here, it consisted of a blued steel fitting with a female 1/2" SAE on one side and a female coke bottle thread on the other.

It cost a couple of dollars.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
That device would be necessary to use the plastic soft drink bottle as a suppressor. I tried as a teenager to tape them on the end of a .22 barrel, but the muzzle blast "shoots" them off before the bottle gets punctured.

Note: Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept. Regs. say a property owner or their agent can trap "nuisance" fur bearing animals WITHOUT ANY PERMIT OR LICENSE". They can also be transported and released, with the permission of the department and the owner of the land where they are to be released.

On an unrelated subject, there is no bounty program for feral hogs in Texas, as reported in the latest American Hunter. The County Hog Abatement Matching Program (CHAMPS) provides aid to COUNTIES for removing hogs, not to individual hunters. The county has to apply for the program and be approved, also.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Aquila Super Quite Ammo. It only has a priming chage, no gun powder. Fired out of a rifle barrel, it's almost silent. Buddy uses them to dispatch squirrels in downtown Austin. Says it works great at close range.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I caught 19 in a row with a box trap & cat food at my old place, bastards were out of control.

Proud NRA Life Member
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have found no animal "rescue" groups that will answer their phone when I need them to take one off my hands, and have been told by someone in the Parks & Wildlife Dept that it is illegal to simply drive them down the road and release them), I drive my riding mower up close to the trap, rev the engine up all the way, and pop the critter with a .22 short. Neighbors only hear the mower, no BATF fee or waiting period required.

You forgot, disposing of the bodies is illegal too grin

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buy an adapter to fit an oil filter on the muzzle!

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I have found no animal "rescue" groups that will answer their phone when I need them to take one off my hands, and have been told by someone in the Parks & Wildlife Dept that it is illegal to simply drive them down the road and release them), I drive my riding mower up close to the trap, rev the engine up all the way, and pop the critter with a .22 short. Neighbors only hear the mower, no BATF fee or waiting period required.

You forgot, disposing of the bodies is illegal too grin

Somebody posted (and then removed the post) that Texas Parks and Wildlife says it's legal to remove nuisance fur bearing animals but it's way to complicated for me. From their website:

NUISANCE FUR-BEARING ANIMALS

Landowners or their agents may take nuisance fur-bearing animals in any number by any means at any time on that person's land without the need for a hunting or trapping license. However, fur-bearing animals or their pelts taken for these purposes may not be retained or possessed by anyone at any time except licensed trappers during the lawful open season and possession periods.

Nuisance fur-bearing animals may be captured and relocated if the person has received authorization from the department and the owner of the property where the release will occur. A monthly report is required and must be submitted to the department on number and kind of fur-bearers captured, location of release site, name and address of person authorized to release.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Cats hauled azz? That is funny.

Reminds me of when my older cousins would turpentine a cats rear.

You could, of course, just drop a canvas over the trap and run a hose from under the edge to the same revved up muffler.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You could, of course, just drop a canvas over the trap and run a hose from under the edge to the same revved up muffler.

Brilliant! cool

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Thanks, Birdy.

The suckers hit around it all day long. wink

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
if you want to be real humane, feed them McDonalds french fries until they die of a heart attack. Fer cripes sake shoot them with a short out of a long barreled 22 rifle, if your worried about the neighbors drag the trap into the garage, put it over a tarp, wack em, and clean up with pine shavings

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A .22 short fired single shot in a .22mag rifle barrel is real quite. But the case will split from firing in the oversized chamber. You'll need a screwdriver or a cleaning rod to eject the spent .22 short case. Learned that one from a old time cop who used to be our neighbor in College.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
frown What a waste! Put them to good use. Live trap and release near a Democrats or PETA's members home, especially if they garden. GW wink

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Then wrap in garbage bag, put in chest freezer until garbage collection day.

Why go through that fuss, some neighbor will all ways leave their can out. Let it stink if they can't put it back in their yard.

Sean
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Clunk behind ears with baseball bat, then lay bat across their neck, stand on it, and pull up on their hind legs very quickly to snap their neck.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Same here...I can still see those bubbles from my second wife...

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by EvilTwin

How the hell do you get the raccoon in there to shoot it? It'd rip your arms off, and besides, alot of them are bigger than a 2 liter pop bottle.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Victoro, my post containing the info from TP&WD about trapping 'coons was not removed, it is still there. Not that complicated, really, unless you are trapping and relocating a lot of animals, as a city or county department might do. My reason for posting that information was to point out that a trapping license is NOT required for "pest control" on private property.

Personally, I don't like to kill ratcoons, and when they roll those big eyes at me and look apologetic, I sometimes don't. They can be big time pests, though, and the ones who growl and snap at me, while I might understand and sympathize with their attitude, often receive the death penalty. The two I disposed of recently were trying to get into our attic, crawling all over the roof at night and getting into other stuff. They had also eaten a nest of baby birds my wife was watching on our back deck. I think some might call it evolution?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Jeez.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mikewriter

Personally, I don't like to kill ratcoons, and when they roll those big eyes at me and look apologetic, I sometimes don't.

I feel the same way about orphans, but I manage to get through it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had a buddy use a chain saw as a noise distraction to dispatch a raccoon. Works as great "noise camo" for your bunny hugging neighbors!

TANSTAAFL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Put the trap under water until the bubbles stop.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Clunk behind ears with baseball bat, then lay bat across their neck, stand on it, and pull up on their hind legs very quickly to snap their neck.
Yea a baseball bat works real good except first you have to get them out of a live trap which should be interesting and second you need to wack them without the help of a trap. And to the gent that likes to look into their sorry eyes, send me your address and I will ship you a big box of pissed off coons to keep you company Russ

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Green Mountain sells a 28" sporter barrel for the 10-22. I forget what I paid for it but it was well worth the cost in backyard practice. With Rem Sub-sonic ammo it's about as loud as a hand clap. Cycles the action 100% which is good cause I frequently have to hit em on the run at night which usually takes a couple shots.

100% legal.

My gallon jug test had it stopping in the third jug with .35 expansion, exits possums most of the time, kills em everytime.

The issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution.

David Horowitz, Saul Alinsky and every woman I've ever argued with.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My favorite suppressor is a room with a window or an outside door open just two or three inches as I shoot through the crack from the far side of the room.

Louder'n the crack o' doom inside but mighty quiet � and brief � outside, even with high-speed Long Rifle hollow-points.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Release the critter in the Parks and WIldlife building some night. This will give them a thrill.

Nowadays, when I have a live trapped 'coon I need to dispose of (I have found no animal "rescue" groups that will answer their phone when I need them to take one off my hands, and have been told by someone in the Parks & Wildlife Dept that it is illegal to simply drive them down the road and release them), I drive my riding mower up close to the trap, rev the engine up all the way, and pop the critter with a .22 short. Neighbors only hear the mower, no BATF fee or waiting period required.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

My feelings too. That's a long suffering period, relatively speaking. Just MHO.

S
S
I have a 22 caliber pellet rifle that has a 10 round magazine and it has no problem taking out anything from squirrels to rabbits to possums with very little noise

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Necropost much?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Another troll, just too friggin obvious.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by CrowRifle

BTDT

NRA Patron
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by dale06

BTDT
In my experience, inadequate for humanely dispatching anything larger than a chipmunk.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Necropost much?

Good one.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not a single one of you know how to have any fun with a live trapped coon.

Put your thinking caps on gents, here I'll help. Put one in a corn sack and ease it through the door of the womens sheiter at your local KFC.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
first coon of 2023.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guy near me had some mule deer busting down his garden fence. He got tired of fixing it and popped one with a 177 springer....killed it with a lung shot.

I spoke with the enforcement guy who didn't press charges. The offender had tried to haze them ineffectively.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Necropost much?

Lol, good one.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsman22
first coon of 2023.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

How do you like the Swampfox? They are competitively priced and look ok.

Who is John Galt?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
CB long straight down into the brain pan between eye and ear is efficient and quiet.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I killed 2 possums and a coon with my pellet gun the week before, but with mine you often have to shoot them several times. Wanted to just get this over with, and my suppressed .44 mag is not THAT quiet. That the small city I live on the edge of doesn't like me to shoot pests with a firearm was the point in using the mower to mask the sound of the shot, of course.

Not going to comment on the trapping license comment, but as to snow on the Texas coast, a few years ago we got 10 inches at Christmas time here in Freeport - had snow on the beach for a day or so. (I did like the Snowblower joke, though).

I also don't care to drown animals. A buddy of mine used to live trap cats and drop them in the trap off his dock. He didn't drown them, though, just sort of water boarded them several times. He said when he finally let them out, they NEVER came back to his place again!

My Neighbor had a good sized possum take up residency in the engine compartment of his RV.
He had a 17 cal Pellet Rifle and I have a 22 cal Pump Pellet Pistol.

We shot that Possum in the head and in the chest to the lungs probably 10 or 15 times each point blank.

I felt bad for the little guy.

We finally reached his lungs.

Next time we will be a little more humane and us a real 22 to do the deed.

Get it over quick.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why would a new member, Squrrelnator, make his first post, on a thread that was over 9 yrs old?

I smell a rat

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The spelling challenged sockpuppet/troll went straight to ignore on his first post. laughing

Last edited by Mannlicher; 01/01/23.

Sam......

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've killed lots of stuff with CCI CB Shorts.

Last edited by bobinpa; 01/01/23.

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Why would a new member, Squrrelnator, make his first post, on a thread that was over 9 yrs old?

I smell a rat

Bingo, noticed it right off too

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
I like it, but what happens when there is snow on the ground?

Snow? On the Texas coast?
...and "Slick" Willie did NOT have sex with Lewinsky! LOL!

Before Federal bought CCI, they made a short round called a "CB Cap". I used them in my Ruger "Single Six" and an old Marlin 39A. The hammer falling made more noise than the round going off. A good friend had squirrels chewing into the eaves of his home in White Settlement, Texas. A suburb of Fort Worth.
I have no idea how many squirrels Steve killed with those things before he passed away.
His neighbors never suspected what he was doing.

Federal still makes a "CB Cap", but it isn't as quiet as CCI's original CB Cap.

Store owner got some Sheridan "Silver Streak" .22 caliber pellet rifles. Guy buys one and says he's tired of his neighbor's German Shepherd turn his garbage can over. Figures one pop and the dog would stay away.
About a week later, the guy comes in and wants to know if we'll buy the Sheridan back. The dog got in his trash. He popped the dog with the pellet rifle and the dog dropped dead in it's tracks! 😳!
Then he asked, "Ever try to stuff a dead, 80 pound German Shepard into a trash can before your neighbor catches you?"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I smell a rat
Would that be a tree rat ?? You have to admit, the guy has us talking about him. Good or bad.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 01/01/23.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
What ever happened to live trapped dunked into a trashcan full of water?

Ya know, since you don’t have a horse trough at your fàggie HOA condo

Edit:

After further reading, I see that this method is sort of frowned up on.

Ok…add some kittens then.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

I smell a rat

I found this site when I searched 300RUM, It took me to an old post in the Alaska forum, so yeah a new guy could end up on an old thead.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by dale06

BTDT
In my experience, inadequate for humanely dispatching anything larger than a chipmunk.

Worse than giving it to the dogs?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

I smell a rat

I found this site when I searched 300RUM, It took me to an old post in the Alaska forum, so yeah a new guy could end up on an old thead.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
CCI CB shorts, CB longs, Quiets, Quiet semi-auto and I’m sure there are several more. A well placed shot and it’s all over. A member here kills hogs with a 22 CB shorts.
Rick

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I was using CB Longs on raccoons in 1996.

CB shorts have a higher expansion ratio, so they get more velocity for a given noise.

CCI CB shorts have ~ 0.45 gr of powder and require ~ 24" or barrel to be BB gun quiet.

The expansion is needed to get the muzzle pressure upon bullet escapement below 1 atmosphere above ambient. That is the threshold of supersonic gas.

Even then, if the bullet strikes plywood, they are very loud. The plywood is compliant and closer to the impedance of air. This allows mechanical energy to be coupled to the air.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CCI has a segmented bullet in the Quiet line.

It's LR but is pretty quiet without a suppressor.

CCI Quiet segmented.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by RickinTN
CCI CB shorts, CB longs, Quiets, Quiet semi-auto and I’m sure there are several more. A well placed shot and it’s all over. A member here kills hogs with a 22 CB shorts.
Rick

They kill big hogs at butchering time when hit between the eyes.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well I shot a big raccoon right into the top of the head with a Winchester 22 short last year and the bullet actually stuck in the top of the skull. It was real old ammo and it could have been a blooper but I was unimpressed completely.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I usually take the trap and haul it off down the road about 10 miles, and kill the coon and dump it in a ditch. Problem solved, no noise within city limits, etc. I have popped a couple here in town, usually with CCI Short HPs or Quiets, but prefer to haul them off. A single shot can usually be ignored, though, as most people don't associate one quick, sharp pop with a gunshot (at least city folks don't). Gotta use quieter ammo, though, a crack from a LR HS will attract unwanted attention.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Or something like a Marauder .25 cal air rifle. It has a built in shrouded barrel suppressor system.

[Linked Image]
That's a lot to spend just to kill an occasional coon. OTOH, it is a gun and that's often worth the money no matter what it's use.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave

Yeah. That's why I shoot stuff in the lungs. It's violent free.

Travis

lmao

Last edited by KillerBee; 01/01/23.

KB

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

404 members (160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 36 invisible), 2,614 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,804
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.