Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I've always liked the "Quickfire" feature on the ultralight Shimano reels. It's a trigger you can pull with the index finger of your casting hand that makes each cast a one-hand operation. You don't have to flip the bail with your off-hand. It seems like that feature is unavailable on almost all of their current models for some reason. They do offer the Syncopate 1000FG with the Quickfire feature in a nice reel that's only about $30. A good value in my opinion.

GB2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by AZBob
I've always liked the "Quickfire" feature on the ultralight Shimano reels. It's a trigger you can pull with the index finger of your casting hand that makes each cast a one-hand operation. You don't have to flip the bail with your off-hand. It seems like that feature is unavailable on almost all of their current models for some reason.

Uhh, can you say, line-twist? God gave you two hands for a reason. A spinning reel is properly operated with your support hand.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've heard that claim about the line twist before but I've never heard a good explanation about it. How can closing the bail by hand be any different than closing it with the crank?

Can someone explain?

and by the way, I have 2 reels with the QuickFire triggers and love 'em. And I close them with the cranks every time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is no difference. Opening and closing the bail does not produce line twist at all, regardless of how it is done.

Line twist on a spinning reel results when the bail is turned, but no line retrieved, such as when a person keeps reeling without retrieving any line while playing a fish.

It is also generated when line is loaded on a reel incorrectly.

Ted

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5sdad
How do you fish flies on spinning gear? (He asks with his nose held so high that he'll drown like a turkey if it rains.) smile

These were very small Clousers - not the 4" specimens, maybe 1.5" in length. Just cast them as you would any lure, and do a nice twitching retrieve. I was only getting maybe 20-25' of distance with the casts, but that was enough to get me on to fish.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I use an old Shimano Quick Fire ultralight reel and a St. Croix buggy whip. 2 or 4 lb. for brookies . Line twist not an issue at all, but quick casting is an advantage.
Bought the buggy whip at St. Croix in Park Falls factory store. Buy all my St. Croix rods there. Some have a X on the butt. Seconds.
Don't know the number.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Yukoner
There is no difference. Opening and closing the bail does not produce line twist at all, regardless of how it is done.

Line twist on a spinning reel results when the bail is turned, but no line retrieved, such as when a person keeps reeling without retrieving any line while playing a fish.

It is also generated when line is loaded on a reel incorrectly.

Ted

I agree that closing the bail manually or by turning the handle, in and of itself, does not make any difference in line twist. With that being said, I believe closing the bail manually inevitably results in less line twist because of what usually occurs directly thereafter.

After a cast, there will always be some slack line, and maybe even a twisted loop, hanging not far from the spool of a spinning reel. If the bail is closed by turning the handle, this bit of slack line or twisted loop will be wound onto the spool. If you lift the rod or otherwise try to remove the slack with the bail open while also turning the handle, the line will not be tight, and so the slack will not be taken up.

On the other hand, I've developed a habit of always closing the bail manually before turning the reel handle. With the bail closed, I then either lift the rod until the slack or loop is taken up or stretch the line out with my support hand if necessary. Because the bail is closed, I can tighten up the line before beginning to wind. Over the course of a day, I believe this technique results in less line twist.

Slack line is your enemy.

Last edited by CoalCracker; 08/21/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been enjoying Pflueger President '20' size, very small, and the 25 sized MG Supreme, both very high quality, very smooth, they are worth their price. Clarus Rods. Like P-Line CX Floro, using 6# here for what I do in LA.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I love light, and uktralight rods for the majority of my fishing, however i preder 7 foot rods. For the added sensitivity especially when drifting on the river. I use a couple from cabelas. With pfleuger presidential reels and one 7 foot light medium baitcasting rod for smallmouth

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nothing to add to all the ideas (I also use a Shimano Sedona)is that a Blue Fox spinner (silver with blue body) works great on trout!

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
335 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 2,132 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.