Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
kkahmann, Would go so far as to say they do, or seem to write the law as they go along?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
kkahmann, Would go so far as to say they do, or seem to write the law as they go along?

wabigoon;
Good morning to you sir, I trust this finds you well.

We have a proud and well practiced history of having LEO of various branches do just that in Canada.

Those that believe otherwise would do well to crack a history book or three. In particular, if you enjoy light humour, reading about how the NWMP and the BC Provincial Police would enforce liquor laws during the building of the railway is a great place to start researching.

There were several occasions where the two branches of LE had arrested Constables from the other, mainly over enforcement of who could say what about who could serve booze - and where.

I'm typing this by the way from 10 floors up on Robson St. in downtown Vancouver - having a coffee and watching rush hour unfold.

For a guy who gets twitchy when someone else is hunting on the same mountain as me I'd say I'm doing quite well in that I've not needed any sedation thus far! Ah well, it's still early and I'm bracing for a monorail ride to the largest mall here.

If this does not prove to my lovely wife and youngest daughter that I love them, then nothing will. laugh

All the best to you this week wabigoon.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BC30cal
[I'm typing this by the way from 10 floors up on Robson St. in downtown Vancouver - having a coffee and watching rush hour unfold.

For a guy who gets twitchy when someone else is hunting on the same mountain as me I'd say I'm doing quite well in that I've not needed any sedation thus far! Ah well, it's still early and I'm bracing for a monorail ride to the largest mall here.

If this does not prove to my lovely wife and youngest daughter that I love them, then nothing will. laugh

Dwayne

!!!! laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi Dwayne:

I enjoy the view from 10 floors up, I even enjoy the sky train when it is not full with people, but the "mall" no not the "mall" anything but the "mall".

Nic

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Okanagan
[I'm typing this by the way from 10 floors up on Robson St. in downtown Vancouver - having a coffee and watching rush hour unfold.

Dwayne

!!!! laugh

Okanagan;
I waved when we drove through your town sir.

My goodness there's a whole bunch of people here...... you coulda warned me!

Seriously though its a pretty clean and friendly city for the most part and this is our youngest daughter's 16th birthday present/family vacation combination trip.

If I don't make it out of here alive though Okanagan, it's been a pleasure knowing you....... eek wink laugh

Dwayne

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by n007
Hi Dwayne:

I enjoy the view from 10 floors up, I even enjoy the sky train when it is not full with people, but the "mall" no not the "mall" anything but the "mall".

Nic

Nic;
Thanks for any good thoughts or prayers you care to send my way man - I know - the mall.........

Ah well, as I said to Okanagan, it's been nice meeting you! laugh

Dwayne

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
It seems the "Wilds of Canada", is taking on a new meaning.
I'll stay with the rocks, lakes, moose, deer, bear and trees, thank you!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Okanagan

Dwayne

!!!! laugh

Okanagan;
I waved when we drove through your town sir.

My goodness there's a whole bunch of people here...... you coulda warned me!

Seriously though its a pretty clean and friendly city for the most part and this is our youngest daughter's 16th birthday present/family vacation combination trip.

If I don't make it out of here alive though Okanagan, it's been a pleasure knowing you....... eek wink laugh

Dwayne

I'd say stop in for a coffee but know from experience with friends that our town is too close to the City and is a nuisance to stop so soon when heading out. Early tomorrow wife and I are heading south across the line for the weekend, so will be gone likely.

Have a good time. I like to sit on the dock at Granville Island and sip something while people watching. Good place to eat your way through. During the worst 6 months of my blindness and series of eye surgeries, we lived on the 10th floor of a place a block off of Robson. No need to drive, easy public transport to docs and hospital, great view, excellent restaurants. Glad we did it -- for a short while!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dingmo
Our fishing group has learned differences in the laws the hard way - a couple of guys were stopped at the border and had their backgrounds checked. Both were denied entry because they had misdemeanor crimes (OWI)on their record. OWI is a felony in Canada and felons are not admitted without jumping through a few hoops. One guy has spent considerable time and money trying to get paperwork cleared so he can come fishing with us again.

This is pretty much common knowledge that people with DWI's are not allowed in. I don't blame them either, if you're irresponsible enough to drink and drive I wouldn't want them in my country either.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Reelman--I know a guy--Vietnam Vet-- who blew 1.4 on a breathalizer in 1977--he was fined $300 and lost his privilage to drive for 30 days. He sobered up -worked as an alcoholic counselor at a major treatment facility for 30 years. He ain't allowed in either.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Reelman--I know a guy--Vietnam Vet-- who blew 1.4 on a breathalizer in 1977--he was fined $300 and lost his privilage to drive for 30 days. He sobered up -worked as an alcoholic counselor at a major treatment facility for 30 years. He ain't allowed in either.

Thankfully he didn't kill someone's kid when he blew a 1.4! Being a Vet has nothing to do with this does it? If this happened in 1977 he can get into Canada now, he just needs to fill out some forms and probably pay a fee. And Canada has recently relaxed the DWI laws for people coming into the country.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by reelman
Originally Posted by kkahmann

Thankfully he didn't kill someone's kid when he blew a 1.4! Being a Vet has nothing to do with this does it? If this happened in 1977 he can get into Canada now, he just needs to fill out some forms and probably pay a fee. And Canada has recently relaxed the DWI laws for people coming into the country.

Canada is so easy going....$$$$ is all it takes and they would let anyone in.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Last fall in BC I received a ticket for having cartridges in my magazine (bolt completely open and safety on) while my gun was leaning against a tire (butt on ground) of the camp's jeep. ..."no loaded weapon may be in contact with a vehicle"... I was and still am not impressed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Blackbrush;
I'm sorry to read that happened to you sir and no, I'd not be impressed either.

Without knowing all the details, I can only guess that perhaps there was some history between the CO and your guide or outfitter that you unknowingly got in between.

That is indeed the letter of the law up here, but I've got to say it's the first time I've heard of anyone being charged with a loaded firearm leaning on a vehicle.

Anyway sir, again I'm sorry that happened to you up here and hope the rest of the hunt went acceptably well for you.

Regards,
Dwayne

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Friend of mine was busted by the CO for having a loaded gun, nothing in the chamber, while sitting on the tailgate of locked truck, not his vehichle, waiting for the rest of us to return to the truck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was told of a fellow who was cited for leaning his magazine loaded rifle against his locked pick-up while he took off his daypack and got his keys out, when he came out of the bush. Therefore I make a conscious point of not allowing a loaded firearm to touch a vehicle, and lie it on the ground, unload it at a distance, etc.

Some BC conservation officers make me wary of all of them, even some fine men I know among them. On two occasions years ago, a CO showed visible frustration and disappointment when my rifle was NOT loaded inside the vehicle. They obviously wanted to bust me rather than find someone in compliance with the law.

So last year when I heard a vehicle stop by mine as I headed back to it through woods in the dusk from still hunting, I stopped inside the woods out of sight and used binoculars to see what was up. It was a CO looking through the windows of my vehicle. I unloaded my rifle and opened the bolt, made sure my license and tags were at hand, tried to think of anything amiss, and walked slowly out to the road. The fellow noted my open bolt as I approached and could see that there were no rounds in the magazine. I tried a friendly hello but he left abruptly with a curt reply.

OTOH, there is one CO who has checked me but been human, courteous and even helpful. That emboldened me to phone him long distance a couple of times to ask about conditions, timing etc. for a hunt. He has been interested in some of my calling and we have swapped info.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Drifting back to laws we are ignorant of, as long as we keep overpaying politicians to keep dreaming up new laws, we just might be ignorant times two.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Once upon a time when we were in the outdoors we went out of our way to look up or speak to CO's. No more! Now I am silent to the point of being surly if one of them is asking questions. The majority seem to be looking for a way to trap you into an admission of something (anything) so they can write you up.

A couple of years ago after flying out of the bush from a moose hunt a CO questioned my buddy who had shot a moose. "Where were you sitting" he asked. "On a log" said my buddy. The he asked the CO if he was hoping he would say he had been sitting on the nose of a beached power boat so he could write him up. NO ANSWER!

There may be good ones out there but I avoid talking to them so am unlikely to identify them.

Jim

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have lived and hunted in the same location for 42 years. Have a long association with the OMNR--working in the logging Industry and base camp supply contractor. Seen a lot of CO's come and go. Prior to about 1985 all the CO's were wannabe biologists. They were the most interesting guys in the bush to talk to. You kinda knew they weren't gonna cut you any breaks so you better follow the law.
Most of the new guys are all wannabe swat team members who think everyone is a poacher and treat you like you have already been convicted of drug dealing and child molestastion

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What does this undecipherable gibberish mean?

Jim

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

192 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 44automag, 348srfun, 31 invisible), 2,006 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.