-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 21 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 20 21
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did some Internet searching and came up with more information concerning my last post. Attached is a link to a study led by John Eveland (former Penn State biologist) that criticizes the PGC's deer management plan.

Figured you were refering to Eveland in your previous post?

While ACSL and others are touting him as the expert, there are numerous flaws in his figures and even more "flaws" in his resume. He has made claims in his resume that no one else can verify, including PSU.

Also know that Eveland submitted his own proposal for the study funded by the PA Legislative Budget/Finance Committee, but he was rejected in favor of the Wildlife Management Institute, for that deer management review. WMI is a well-regarded entity of long standing and regularly does similar studies for many other states' wildlife management agencies.

The "best" that ACSL and others could come up with in rejecting WMI's findings, was that some former PGC employees (former upper management types, primarily), now work for WMI.

Having viewed Eveland's various web sites, one might come to the conclusion that his primary accomplishments have been self promotion and hyperbole?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've been a believer in the antler restriction, if you want to shoot bigger rack bucks. In some areas it is making a difference. For me, where I hunt, it hasn't. I killed my best deer just before it went into effect. It was 4.5 years old. I still shoot some nice bucks, but nothing like the one's you fellows are shooting.
A couple things I've noticed. It sure makes it almost impossible to still hunt through laurel thickets and blackberry tangles, which I enjoy. The restrictions almost force me to sit in a tree, which I don't really enjoy. Where I hunt there is a percentage of the bucks that don't have brow tines, so I really need a lot of time to look them over with my old eyes, even with binoculars. When it rains, which it seems to do a lot in rifle season, the dark stained antlers that are common where I hunt make it almost impossible to count points.
As I said, I'm not opposed to them, it just hasn't show any real effect for me, yet, but I'm hoping over time that will change.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dubePA
I did some Internet searching and came up with more information concerning my last post. Attached is a link to a study led by John Eveland (former Penn State biologist) that criticizes the PGC's deer management plan.

Figured you were refering to Eveland in your previous post?

While ACSL and others are touting him as the expert, there are numerous flaws in his figures and even more "flaws" in his resume. He has made claims in his resume that no one else can verify, including PSU.

Also know that Eveland submitted his own proposal for the study funded by the PA Legislative Budget/Finance Committee, but he was rejected in favor of the Wildlife Management Institute, for that deer management review. WMI is a well-regarded entity of long standing and regularly does similar studies for many other states' wildlife management agencies.

The "best" that ACSL and others could come up with in rejecting WMI's findings, was that some former PGC employees (former upper management types, primarily), now work for WMI.

Having viewed Eveland's various web sites, one might come to the conclusion that his primary accomplishments have been self promotion and hyperbole?

Having viewed various websites myself, it seems the majority of folks criticizing Eveland have been you or your friends. Im no Eveland fan, but ive seen no one directly debate him, on any topic. Seems to me, his critics are full of self promotion and hyperbole, among other things. That tight knit group of former PGC employees, and others from various organizations, should be looked at with a watchful eye. Theyll go to great lengths to get what they want. Lobbying to lawsuits, and beyond.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let me know if you're ready for a new crying towel yet. I have a line on some with the Uninformed Sportsmen of PA logo that you can have, cheap.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
laugh

Im sure you do. I hope you pricks do well, I really do. You got balls, thats for sure. You'd not see my name on the lawsuit. Being 100% serious here now. I hope you and the other dipschits know, had you all even tried to get trespass fixed I wouldnt have given as much grief as I had. Though I still think the cute couple are both arseholes....and Bodenhorn, cant stand him...theres a lot we agreed on. May not seem like it, but its the truth.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
........ in a perfect world, wouldn't the deer population itself remove the inferior genetics over time? With the advent of AR, better and older bucks are surviving past a year or so. These big boys ought to be preventing the scrubby bucks from attending to the does in their area.

In a perfect world, maybe. But under PA AR rules just the opposite will continue to be the trend.

Hypothetical (yet realistic) scenario:

Spring 2011 two buck fawns are dropped by two does on the same hillside. Both fawns eat the same food, drink the same water and walk the same trails. Fall 2012 the first buck is a 12" wide 7 pointer. Second buck is a Y & spike 3 pointer. Monday morning after Thanksgiving both bucks walk by Fudd and he neatly drops the 7 pointer. Fall 2013 the 2.5 year old (former) 3 pointer is now (or maybe not) a legal deer. He is roaming the same hillside with another 1.5 year buck that grew a 12" 7 point first rack. Although the 1.5 year deer is carrying better rack genetics, he is a year younger and 30-50 lbs lighter. He is not going to get breeding rights over the bigger, yet genetically inferior deer. The 3-point genes get spread while the 7 point genes do not.

What I see is that each successive generation of PA whitetail bucks will take, on average, longer to produce larger racks.

Granted, it's only anecdotal, internet info. But I have seen, on our property, more messed up racks since AR than ever........ A 4.5 or 5.5 year 6 pointer, an 18" or 19" wide 3 pointer, a 3.5 year 5 pointer with 4 on one side and a spike on the other, 2.5 and 3,5 year deer with tiny or no brows ........... and on.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So what if the 7 point buck survives his first season?

And, All it takes is one good dominant buck and he will breed most of the does in a very large area.

Your 3 pointer never gets to spread his genetics, ever, the bigger more dominant bucks take care of that, thanks to AR, there will always be a few to get the job done.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 99guy
So what if the 7 point buck survives his first season?

And, All it takes is one good dominant buck and he will breed most of the does in a very large area.

Your 3 pointer never gets to spread his genetics, ever, the bigger more dominant bucks take care of that, thanks to AR, there will always be a few to get the job done.

Sometimes he will survive. And he will be a quality breeder. But, absent the illegal kills and the few the kids get, ALL the inferior-racked bucks are artificially preserved to grow another year class older and bigger-bodied. True that one dominant buck can do a lot of breeding. But that's a BIG part of my point. The DOMINANT buck is not necessarily the genetically superior buck. Especially in a program that is allowing inferior rack genetics to gain year classes over the better genetic deer which get taken out at an early age.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
but if we go back to no restrictions, you don't even get to wait for that 7point you see him the first year as a spike and will never know what he could have turned into

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by keystoneben
The trouble with antler restriction around where I hunt 3C (Northern Lackawanna/ Susquehanna) is a lot of people shoot whatever they want and butcher it themselves. So the bucks aren't getting to grow older anyway.

That would be people problem and not trouble with AR. Stop the people problem and the trouble goes away.

A little much to expect AR to improve the quality of Pa Deer and Deer management and also arrest the illegals. Drunks are going to drive until the Police make it very inconvenient/unpleasant to do so.

lots of things are people problems. where would that debate end? all the cans and bottles strewn along the back roads during the hunting season werent placed there by anti hunters. im afraid a large part of the hunting population is made
up by this type individual. ive never archery hunted because i took the 1 deer law seriously and didnt want to sacrifice rifle season. that was always a joke among many others i knew. it was even a joke with 1 hollier than thou former game commissioner by name of david drakula. caught after shooting a second deer with his wifes tag on it. yes theres a people
problem and the game commission is run by people also. ask your potter co friends about the deer situation where they hunt.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't read all the responses, so this may have been covered (and I think Yodel touched on it). I also have never been to PA, so take this for what you paid for it.

ARs work well for a few years, but after some time, you start getting those huge 2X2s and 3X3 being the deer who live through the season and do the breeding. I know of a few hard draws in Idaho (Owyhees to be specific) where once drawn, most folks want a good solid 4X4. The general season is 2X3 or smaller, and half of Boise kills 2 points out there. Problem is, once a guy finally gets that any buck tag, they have to filter out the huge 3X3s and 3X4s to find what he has waited so long for.

I know of a 30+ inch wide 2X3 and several BIG 3X3s that have come out of that area the last few years. Not that there's anything wrong with big 3X3s, but the results speak for themselves.

Game departments have to manage for everyone though, and some folks are perfectly happy shooting the first deer they see. Some folks just want to get their kid on a buck, of any size. Requiring kids to pass on a 2X2 and potentially not take a buck may discourage youngsters. I think ARs make sense in some ways, but requiring statewide ARs is not good business IMO.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ever wonder how that Drakula fellow got caught???? wink

Hint: Higly doubtful he turned himself in. Ya think????

Pottor county will be back. Until then I would think the wise thing to do would be to hunt where they are and not where they supposedly are not. And a lot more than one somebody bought up every Doe tag for the Pottor County unit. Why?

Last edited by battue; 08/24/13.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While deer numbers are down in many areas up there, one look at the Potter paper's big buck contests over the past few years, oughta make some wake up?

Bucks that would've won that contest 10 years ago, aren't even in the top 20 these days.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have fun looking. Big and small are represented. Potter has always produced some big Bucks, but not in the one year only numbers you will find represented here.

For your viewing pleasure; The Potter Co. 2012 Big Buck results. grin

Things could and have been a lot worse as far as nice Bucks coming out of Potter. And the kids seem to be doing just fine in removing the little guys and also some of the big ones.

http://tiogapublishing.smugmug.com/Events/2012-Potter-County-Buck

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
......aaaaand!!!

http://www.endeavornews.com/news/2009-01-24/outdoors/054.html

(Click on the pic to see it better)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guy I know fussed to me some years ago, that while the bucks are now bigger, we used to get twice as many brought in to our local buck contest, years ago.

Well, yes that is true. Even if half of them were little bucks that guys mostly drove down to weigh. Then there are other changes that've taken place, like the store changing hands sevral years ago and closing earlier now, even on the first few days of rifle deer.

Anyone that hasn't noticed the nicer quality of bucks since ARs came into being in PA, must really have a nasty place to hunt in?

As for kids, some of the big bucks have been taken by junior hunters and even MYH kids, the past few years. And now that is apparently infuriating many older hunters, since the commissioners have considered setting a minimum age for MHY kids?

Too many complaints from old buzzards, grumbling about big buck pics and 9 year olds, it seems?

crazy

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hey watch that, or i'll have do quit circling, land and pic your eyes out!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am officially an ol' buzzard myself, but can no longer get off'n the ground to circle. Advantage to you.

grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And these !!! eek

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sorry............ couldn't help myself !!! grin

Page 7 of 21 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (Algotguns, 21, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,420 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.