Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is the base coat? And where do I find it? laugh

GB1

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
For me its either cerakote or krylon. If I am going to take the time to do a full prep with a sanding a stock, detailed degreasing or abrasive blasting I will go with cerakote, I just have not had real good luck with the durability of duracoat. If I just want to throw some color on a beater gun its gonna be krylon.

Cerakote base with sponge job krylon
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Cerakote metal work with krylon stock.
[Linked Image]

All duracoat and its looking pretty ragged now, no better on wear and tear than krylon and a lot bigger pain in the butt with the mixing.
[Linked Image]

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
varminstinc, I'm thinking about doing a Montana stock, and I dig that sponge one. I'm thinking black with light grey sponging? Or maybe white sponging.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Rustoleum textured and a clear coat has worked for me.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Sponging is super easy. Put on a base coat and then do about 30% of the stock in a second color. Take the first color and sponge over the second color then take the second color and go over the first, dont even bother to let any of the coats dry. Add a couple accents and your done.

I have done a lot of stencil work and some tough patterns (like fricken digital) and the sponge job takes about 5 minutes from start to finish and looks better than all of them.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What do you think about doing a solid matte base, with light grey or white splotches? Maybe even both grey and white. I wouldn't need to sponge black in there at all after that?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by woofer
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Krylon.........

W

Originally Posted by woofer
Did it for buds 10 year old little girl. ADL 243 with a leupy shorty.. Thing shoots lights out. You should have seen her face...

W

funny you say "her" soon as i saw that stock i thought my daughter would love it.....she loves bright green...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Tanner
What do you think about doing a solid matte base, with light grey or white splotches? Maybe even both grey and white. I wouldn't need to sponge black in there at all after that?

If you do a black matte base you can just blot the light grey over it but it really pulls it together if you do some bigger splotches of grey and then sponge black over that.

Take a look at manners website for their new molded paints, they basicly use a solid color and sponge over them with one or two more colors but do not blend them, looks like they use a paint roller as their sponge.

They even have one in black with a dark grey and light grey.
http://mannersstocks.com/color-and-finishes/

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
To resurrect an old thread, I have considered doing this for a couple of years, and finally gave it a shot with a plain jane Savage 111 in .243.

[Linked Image]

Using a base of Krylon Fusion and a Rustoleum Stone texture then multiple coats of clear matte, it was transformed into this in just under 1.5 hours with drying time then an overnight curing. Pretty happy with the finished product for the time and money I've got in it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Fun project and I'm considering doing something with a T/C Venture in .300 WM that is as ugly as any gun I've ever seen but shoots as well as any gun I've ever owned.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
That looks great.

I am going to do a Rem 700 ADL that shoots great but is plain UGLY. I like the sand speckle. I wonder how it will wear?

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
May not wear worth a darn, but five minutes of paint should take care of that.

Lord knows its a cheap and easy way to get something that looks better than factory.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,052
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.