Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I just purchased a 1979 Remington 700 BDL from a forum member. It was FTF and I really like the gun. I saw the curved stock and new that with the current 1" pad, it was too long. But, you talk yourself into things sometimes and figure you can work around this or that.

The action has been bedded, so I'd prefer to stick with this original stock. Plus I'm tired of having spare crap lying around.

I have maybe a 13.25" LOP and as I see it, I have the following options:

1- Remove the 1" inch pad and find an original, or replacement, 4 screw butt plate. I did find a few plates, however I'm not sure my shoulder will like the recoil. Yes, it's a 243, no it won't be just hunting. This gun is said to be very accurate and I'd like to enjoy it at the range. Also, my shoulder can tolerate an AR15, but at the end of the day I feel it.

2 - Pachmayr does sell a 1/2" pad. The PR200. I could shave the pad for length, then heat it up enough to put a slight bend and perhaps contour it to the shape of the curved stock. It doesn't have to be perfect. I want a hunter and target gun, not a show piece. However, this method will still leave the LOP a tad long.

3 - take a shot of whiskey and just have the damn thing cut to fit me. Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun (or a gun that doesn't fit me). I have women in my family who would also be able to shoot it well with the shortened stock. Yes, it diminishes the value, but to whom? If it's a gun I can share with my family, aren't those memories more valuable than the couple hundred bucks lost on a cut stock?

4 - Sell it and buy another gun. Why? I like older guns, so no matter what gun I get, there's going to be some issue with this or that and clean, older guns, aren't easy to find.

OK, so I've argued the points with my alter ego.

Please share you thoughts. Thanks

Last edited by Joseywales; 09/04/13.

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Cutting a wooden stock is a one-banana task if you have a chop saw with a good fence or a table saw with a sliding table. Fitting a recoil pad is what takes a bit of skill, but if that stock already has a pad fitted, then it would only have to be whittle on at the bottom, as the rest of it already fits. You just have to deepen the screw holes that are there now so that when you cut the stock the pad will go back in the same place. Makes things a lot easier if you just refinish the stock at the same time.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Cut the stock square and put on a recoil pad you like. It ain't rocket surgery.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks. I've put pads on before. In fact, a friend made a jig for exactly that. My only struggle was not the physical act, but the decision to actually cut the wood.

Whoever put the pad on actually drilled 2 holes for it, so there are now 6 holes in the stock. 4 for the original plate and 2 for the pad that was on there.

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The pad will hide the holes -- sorry.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing to have so much angst about IMHO. Cut the stock and put on the pad you want. May even be a good time to put on a better pad for your style of shooting.

There are lots of Remington stocks around in case you don't like the results of this project and bedding isn't even all that difficult to replace if you end up with a new stock.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Joseywales
I just purchased a 1979 Remington 700 BDL from a forum member. It was FTF and I really like the gun. I saw the curved stock and new that with the current 1" pad, it was too long. But, you talk yourself into things sometimes and figure you can work around this or that.

The action has been bedded, so I'd prefer to stick with this original stock. Plus I'm tired of having spare crap lying around.

I have maybe a 13.25" LOP and as I see it, I have the following options:

1- Remove the 1" inch pad and find an original, or replacement, 4 screw butt plate. I did find a few plates, however I'm not sure my shoulder will like the recoil. Yes, it's a 243, no it won't be just hunting. This gun is said to be very accurate and I'd like to enjoy it at the range. Also, my shoulder can tolerate an AR15, but at the end of the day I feel it.

2 - Pachmayr does sell a 1/2" pad. The PR200. I could shave the pad for length, then heat it up enough to put a slight bend and perhaps contour it to the shape of the curved stock. It doesn't have to be perfect. I want a hunter and target gun, not a show piece. However, this method will still leave the LOP a tad long.

3 - take a shot of whiskey and just have the damn thing cut to fit me. Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun (or a gun that doesn't fit me). I have women in my family who would also be able to shoot it well with the shortened stock. Yes, it diminishes the value, but to whom? If it's a gun I can share with my family, aren't those memories more valuable than the couple hundred bucks lost on a cut stock?

4 - Sell it and buy another gun. Why? I like older guns, so no matter what gun I get, there's going to be some issue with this or that and clean, older guns, aren't easy to find.

OK, so I've argued the points with my alter ego.

Please share you thoughts. Thanks

Several issues:

Is the recoil from a 8 lb 243 really going to be that bad? Try taking the pad off, put a plate on and shoot it some.

If it were Teddy Roosevelt's Winchester 1895 I'd tell you not to cut it, but it's not. It's a plain vanilla Remington 700. There are millions of them out there. It doesn't have any collector value and it's not likely to ever have very much. Cut the thing to the LOP that fits you. Get a gunsmith to do it if you're not 100% certain you can do a good job. Don't worry about the holes, the pad will cover them.

Last edited by natman; 09/06/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy a takeoff stock on the cheap, install your barreled action, pitch your ill fitting stock in the woodpile for winter fire.

There problem solved.

Next!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 1234, 54 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,635
Posts18,455,246
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.