Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#8048547 09/07/13
54Woody Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
In 2011 I posted the story of my WY hunt for antelope, elk and goat, titled WY Triple. Last year was a down year but after saving for 5 years I just returned from a hunt in the Yukon. This will be picture heavy and like WY Triple will take me several days to tell the story. Hope you like it.
3:30am on Aug. 8 I head for the Indianapolis airport. Indy to Chicago to Vancouver to Whitehorse, Yukon Territory. With me is my long time friend and hunting buddy Curt. Curt is along on this trip as a non hunter but wanted to experience the adventure. Kids in college hit the hunt fund hard. I cannot express how grateful I am to Curt for sharing the experience and lending encouragement when I needed it. We arrived in Whitehorse at 9:30pm. I was hunting with Dave and Tenna Dickson and Teena met us at the airport and took us to our hotel. Whitehorse and the Yukon River from the air.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

54Woody Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Aug 9 was a buffer day in case we had flight problems so we were tourist. Whitehorse is a neat little town, not as backwoods as I expected. Clean, good shops and resturants, and lots to see within walking distance. Of course bear proof trash cans within sight of the hotel means we are not in Indiana any more.
[Linked Image]
The next day we have breakfast and head to the float plane base.
[Linked Image]
Two hours later we land in base camp.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

54Woody Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Base camp consists of 8 log cabins on the north end of the lake, sleeping cabins, cook cabin, shower house, and tack shack. Horses will be our mode of transport from here on.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like home to me. Keep it coming! Thanks for the story thus far.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
54Woody Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We get settled in, have some lunch and go fishing, Grayling and pike.
[Linked Image]
We check out the horses and the fantastic views.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Then I notice some white dots on the mountian. 5 rams. Is this a good sign?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l528/54Woody/Yukon/Yukonset2017_zps1f77298d.jpg[/img]
The hunt starts tomorrow.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Nice photos of some of Canada's Yukon Territory, my wife was based out of Whitehorse, as an "Outpost Nurse", an RN, post-grad. "paeds" and has many neat tales to tell of her experiences.

I was first in Canada's northern territories in spring, 1966, aged 19. this in the N.W.T. I was in our Yukon in 2006 and hope to return with my wife to do some exploration. Several of my ancestors were in "The Klondike Goldrush" and a couple worked in the north for many years,nurses, mining and so on.

It is sure different now in the north as the race for resources increases and the current Canadian government sells us out to various foreign entities.....does NOT bode well for hunting, especially sheep, IMO!

Looking forward to more pix, enjoy them very much!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great looking country. I look forward to seeing and hearing the rest of the story.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

54Woody Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The next morning we get on the horses and ride out West of camp. Our party includes Dave, his son Thomas, Kish, our wrangler, Curt and I and Abby the Lab.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Some of the riding was easy and the views were breath taking. But thick bush and steep terrain made for some rough spots with limbs pulling your legs back and swatting your face.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

54Woody Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
After 4 hours of riding we reach the alpine. Seems you can see for ever. The sky was clear and the weather warm, going to hot. It reached over 85 degrees this day. We found a couple caribou sheds but didn"t see any the whole trip. Dave said the population is in a down swing and they have not hunted them for several years.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

54Woody Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We stop on the South end of a long sloping plateau and on the North end are 5 rams. Dave sets up the spotting scope and identifies a problem. They are in Alaska, not the Yukon. There is a border marker post on the top of the ridge and they are just a hundred or so yards on the wrong side. We decide to settle in and watch them in hopes they move East. The set up is good as they will feed some then go over the ridge out of sight then return a couple hours. We could move to close the distance easily but they never appeared on the correct side. Three were legal and one very good. Towards the end of the day we decided not to press them and headed back to camp. The return killed my legs with a long steep downhill stretch leading the horses and a knee jammed into a tree once we could ride. Even though I had trained all spring and summer, hiking over 230 miles, the horse riding had my legs screaming. The shower house was calling my name.
Curt and I try to find some shade.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Shower house had hot water from a propane powered instant water heater. On the outside was a sink and old clothes washer. Cold drinks were kept in a pit dug to permafrost level. Kept the drinks at about 36 degrees.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 54Woody; 09/07/13.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Living in the lap of luxury, at camp. Nice!

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great so far - looking forward to the rest of the adventure.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thank you for postin please keep the story coming

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great hunt

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great pics....looks to be quite the adventure!

54Woody Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Day two we headed East to look for the group we had seen from camp on arrival day. More brush busting on the horses until we reached the alpine. Again great views. This is looking back West to the plateau we were hunting the day before.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
We checked this basin and the next. Dave and Curt climbed higher but I stayed with the horses to give my legs a rest. They did find the sheep but no good ones and they were on top of this ridge. The temp reached 90 degrees this day.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Tomorrow we load up the pack string and head out to set up a spike camp South of the lake.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
54, keep it coming. Great start.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Wow, very nice! Looking forward to the rest.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Fine pictures and accounts. Thanks for taking us along.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I am laying in a hospital bed awaiting spinal stenosis surgery.as well as spinal fusion.

I flat lined June 6th 2009 and the plavix makes a real threat for me to be paralyzed until

The plavix is out of my body. I can't move and am on a dilaudid pain pump. I can't tell you

How vicariously I am living thru this thread

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,239 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.