-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WOW. Congrats and I'm looking forward to what you did for the next week!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great story, great pictures and a great ram! Thanks for sharing and congratulations on a very nice sheep.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That is an awesome ram! Congrats, and way to go and get it done.

G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
great story, great pictures, looking forward to remaining days of your trip. Thank you again sir.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Great Pics & story, would love to go after a nice ram myself but I know I wouldn't enjoy the steep slopes...

Looking forward to the story of the next 7 days of hunting

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
[quote=eh76]Thanks for taking me along 54woody! [/quote)

+10 I'm with eh76 on this great ram and hunt marvelous pics and story thank you 54woody you made me feel I was right there looking over your shoulder watching and enjoying it all. Magnum Man

54Woody Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the comments guys.
The day after "The Day" was a combination of rest and chores. I mostly rested. Kish had a caping job, plus he fixed his soon to be famous soup for lunch (very good). Dave took care of the meat and repaired the saddle rail. Thomas cleaned the skull plate and learned about sharpening knives. Dave boiled the sheep tongue. I tried it but not my favorite (flavor a B-, texture a D-). Everyone else liked it. Man was I relaxed, the pressure was off and we all could feel it. Lots of laughs and fun today.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Tomorrow we tear down camp early and head back to base camp. I'll miss this little piece of wilderness.
[Linked Image]

54Woody Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Next day was a reverse of the day going in, 5 hour ride out followed by a boat ride to camp. The hot shower felt good. The drink cooler in camp was a pit dug to permafrost with a lid on it. It was half full of water and the beer and Pepsi we left in it was about 36 degrees. Man was it good. Smoked sheep shoulder, mashed potatos, gravy and green beans for supper. We are living the high life. Tomorrow morning we ride 4 hours to a different spike camp to try for moose.
Curt tends the smoker. Let's pretend those are fireproof pants.
[Linked Image]
It rained that night and the next morning so we got a late start packing the horses.
[Linked Image]
The river was up from the rain and we had to cross it 4 times.
You could feel the current moving the horses.
[Linked Image]
After 4 hours of riding in the rain this little cabin on the mountain sure looked good.
[Linked Image]
First thing...Coffee!
[Linked Image]
We didn't try to hunt this evening. Just finished organizing camp and staying out of the weather.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What an adventure! Excellent!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice ram you harvested. Congrats to you!

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

IC B3

54Woody Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Boy I sure do love this cabin because it rained all night. The rain also brought fog so we couldn't see the next morning. By late morning it lifted enough for us to ride up behind camp to a high spot and glass a little. Dave saw one cow off in the distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
We went back to the cabin for lunch and Dave fixed bannock, a tasty fried biscuit. Eat it hot with butter and jam.
[Linked Image]
We knew there were moose in the area from the pile of sheds under the porch.
[Linked Image]
But before we could head back out, more rain and fog. No evening hunt.
[Linked Image]
We knew going in we could loose a couple days to weather and it was happening. The rain and fog continued the next day. To keep our spirits up Thomas would make popcorn.
[img]http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l528/54Woody/Yukon/166_zps9bc1ddf4.jpg[/img]
And the horses wanted some too.
[img]http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l528/54Woody/Yukon/168_zps15d94014.jpg[/img]

54Woody Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
When the sky started to clear in late afternoon we all rode up to our glassing spot. 100 yards from it a bull stands up and suprises us. I say 'Bull" and slide off the right side of my horse to get out of sight. Dave does the same and waves everyone else down. I'm getting my rifle out but there must have been too much activity because he didn't stand still long. I was hoping he would run a little ways and stop to look back. No such luck. He ran on past the glassing knob into the ravine. We went down and glassed the rest of the evening. He was a decent bull, at least 55 inches wide. We think he stopped in the heavy cover and held up because if he headed on down hill he would have crossed an open bog and we thought we would have seen him. So we kept looking. This rainbow popped out. I think it brought the moose luck.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Later in the evening we saw a good black bear eating blueberries. Dave asked if I wanted him and I said not really. I had killed black bears before. Dave suggested he could be a camp problem so I said I would take him if he wanted but really wanted a moose. Dave said let's leave the bear and tomorrow we would take moose or bear or both if given the opportunity. We went back to the horses and headed to camp for the night.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Woody, what an adventure. Thanks for sharing this trip. I can't wait to see more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats on a great ram. Awesome report. Keep it up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seriously cool adventure, thanks for taking the time to put in all the detail and pictures. That'd be a dream trip for me!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
what an adventure! I hope there are more pictures coming!

Kiss your girlfriend where it smells.......take her to Jersey!

54Woody Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Last day to hunt from this camp. No rain but the wind is up and cool. We started glassing from our normal spot. No luck. We rode across the alpine to another overlook to glass. The moose must winter up high in the alpine, as strange as it sounds, because we found sheds everywhere we went. Four total for the day and saw two others glassing. Here is the best one. Wish we had seen him.
[Linked Image]
The ground was covered with berries, as well as antlers, blueberries and low bush cranberries. I was suprised we didn't see more bears.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
We rode to several other outlooks and really covered ground that day but only saw a cow and a small bear.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
We did find this piece of history, a gold claim post.
[img]http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l528/54Woody/Yukon/190_zps1db0ff94.jpg[/img]
We call it a day. No regrets. Tomorrow we head back to base camp with some hope we may see a moose down by the river.

54Woody Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Goodbye moose camp, we ride out in the morning back to base.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
We stop along the way for some more history. These are the remains of log roadhouses that were part of the winter wagon trail put in durning the late 1890s to support the gold rush. They were about 30' by 30' and originally 2 stories high. Three in this location. The museum in Whitehorse has a display on this.
The ride back was just a ride, good views but no game. Unless a bear walks in to base camp (a grizzly came into camp the week before we arrived) the hunt is over. Time to get cleaned up, pack for the flight tomorrow and have a good meal with new friends.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

54Woody Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Fly out day. End of the trip and time to close out this story. Thanks for following along. This was the hunting experience of my lifetime. Time for final pictures and wait for the float plane. Thanks to Dave, Thomas, Kish and Teena for running a class operation and treating us like friends from the start. Thanks to Curt for sharing this adventure and the memories. Already planning a return for moose. Afterall they named a street after me.
[Linked Image]
Abby guards our goodies.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
thanks for taking us with you....

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 63 invisible), 2,786 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.