Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Was wanting to find out from the experts about what this gun is worth and is there very many out there? The pic's I have are small! The gun was made in 1984 and has been used . Looks to be in pretty good condition.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Did you try googling his name? I see them for sale every so often on gunbroker and guns international.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
LoneWati, looking at your location and noting that Keith Stegall operated in your area,(forget exactly where).

He was a very fine custom rifle maker and his stock designs are sort of unique...classic with a bit of flair. I believe he tutored Gene Simillion among others, who is one of todays top makers of custom rifles.

I am not an expert but will give a WAG and say that rifle is in the $3000-$4000 range, possibly more with that trap door butt plate. Looks like a nice stick of wood as well....love that checkering pattern.

If you pay less than that, you stole it smile

I doubt you could come close to replacing it for that money today.

Last edited by BobinNH; 09/04/13.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Looks like a Pre'war Model 70 action.

What chambering?

Very nice rifle.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Yes, he was out of Gunnison, Colo. It is an old Mauser action .280 rem. I did google and got a few hits and some were outrageous ,but no pictures. I am getting info from where ever I can and prices have been all over the board from 4 thousand up to 25 thousand depending on the gun. I just would like to see a 25 thousand dollar rifle and a 15 thousand dollar rifle and a 5 thousand dollar rifle to have a better understanding. Thanks for all the help.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Keith Stegall was indeed located in Gunnison, CO, when I was in Gunsmithing School in Trinidad, CO they got the stock blanks used in the stockmaking class from Mr. Stegall. He must have purchased French Walnut in large quantities as the school always had quite a selection to choose from. A source for pictures of Stegall rifles would be Gun Digest books from the 60's & 70's, they always had a section where they featured custom guns. I am sure I have seen some of Mr. Stegall's work there. As regards your rifle, my opinion is that $4K would be top dollar. It is certainly a fine rifle by a known maker, but it does not have enough "bells & whistles" to command much more. It is a very nice example of a hunting rifle in a chambering that is/was fairly popular. I would suggest talking to some of the dealers who deal in custom rifles to gain a better insight as to value. Griffin & Howe and Hallowell are two that come to mind.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a nice rifle; must have been done near the end of Stegall's active working days.........his eyes got very bad & he could no longer work when I last spoke with him around 1993 or so.

I had a rifle he built on a M-70 action with a 22" featherweight barrel........best pointing, best feeling rifle I've ever handled & a flat 1/2" shooter.

I bought it from the original owner who commissioned the work & I still have a copy of the letter that outlined the build.

(Stegall did all his stock work the old fashioned way, by hand, & also did all his own metal work as well.)

I sold it to a member here about 6 years ago ago & I regret it every day since.

I'd guess your rifle is realsitically worth $2,200 to $2,600, maybe a hair more if someone really wants a Stegall rifle.

Here's some pics & I hope the current owner doesn't mind my posting them.

MM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WOW!

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
WOW!

Uh-huh..........now you know why I regret selling it.

MM

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by rembo
Looks like a Pre'war Model 70 action.

What chambering?

Very nice rifle.

Ummm.... Not sure but i'll guess 280 rem.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 222Sako, 1minute, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,815 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,877
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.