Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The state of NH asks that all moose hunters fill out a survey card indicating how many hours were spent scouting, hunting, how many sightings were had of which sex, etc. I had all my paperwork squared away, and when I handed it over, the woman thanked me, but upon actually looking at the card, looked at me incredulously and asked, "were you really out every single day from dark to dark in the weather we've been having?" "Yes, ma'am" I said with a grim smile. I shot him on the 80th hour of the hunt, though we were out there for 100 hours or more" She shook her head, smiled and said, "Congratulations! By God you worked for and earned your moose. The kill is way down this year. The early rut was to blame in part, but more to the point I think, lots of people just couldn't handle the weather".

I paused for a moment, not quite sure how to respond, then said quietly, "Well, I'm a duck hunter, ma'am...". Glancing up from her paperwork, she eyed me up and down, and then said, "Of course you'd be, wouldn't you?" We shared a smile and laugh, and handed me my stamped paperwork.

BP-B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Sorry for the hijack, Rattler.

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
no worries....those pics are damn impressive....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thank you, sir.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
And as stated, I never even cleaned it once

That's something I don't understand.

Pappy always said "Take good care of your tools and they'll take care of you."

He also asked the question "Is there a problem with passing your tools on to your grandchildren?"

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thank you for your offer. I would love to make that happen and maybe get some of those delicious looking clams too!

This is my 38th year of waterfowling. I've never missed an opener. Yep, I'm staring down the barrel at fiddy. I am the oldest of three brothers and we all hunted. Dad was a willing, if reluctant participant. Because there was an age gap between myself and my two younger bros, it was up to me to help mentor them in the woods or marsh. Dad continued to deer hunt but bowed out of duck hunting pretty quick because it was too much for his knees and back so it was up to me. The three of us became pretty close if only for those few months every year-sort of an unsaid thing; we knew we were going to be together.

When we lost my youngest brother, a really cool thing happened. Our duck hunting friends rallied for us. They knew they could never fill his shoes yet they never wanted us to be without someone to hunt with. These guys were his pallbearers who showed up wearing Columbia Quads in old school camo. Yep, I think it's some kind of sickness.

So in less than a month my brother and I plus a couple of friends are going to North Dakota to hunt the prarie pothole region and share some laughs.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yes, my apologies for the hijack as well. Some things kinda get me going.

To the OP: the Nova is an excellent and very versatile gun for waterfowling. If you can get it in the $300 range, even better!

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I had one. I'll take an 870 over a Nova every time! I'm a big benelli fan, but not the Nova.

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by rattler
what do you think of them? been using my FIL's Model 12 and 870 for the last few years cause he wasnt bird hunting anyway but ran across a Nova on a used rack locally that i walked away with for about $300, looks nearly unfired....bead was where it was supposed to be when i threw it up to the shoulder so figured what the hell.....

I use a Nova as my main Predator calling gun and turkey gun. The only think I really don't like is the lack of metal to mount a scope base. I am going to drill and tap 5 holes and see if it holds a red dot type scope- perfect for coyotes. Handles 3 1/2" mags with ease.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by BarryC
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
And as stated, I never even cleaned it once

That's something I don't understand.

Pappy always said "Take good care of your tools and they'll take care of you."

He also asked the question "Is there a problem with passing your tools on to your grandchildren?"

My time is worth far more to me than that kind of money. A Nova ain't exactly a Purdey, as far as your other comment.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I got my Son one about 8 years ago!!!He has beat the Hell out of that gun, it looks like chit... but still works Great. Just like a Timex, takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

To the OP: the Nova is an excellent and very versatile gun for waterfowling. If you can get it in the $300 range, even better!

Yeah, this. wink

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
633 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 66 invisible), 2,803 guests, and 1,397 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.