Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I was able to sell my f2.8 lens for 90% of what I paid for it new. I sold it in 2 days. Should have asked more.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
GB1

V
VAhuntr Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I have found a couple "lightly" used Tamron 70-200's for Canon but they don't have the vibration compensation. Will this make a big difference?

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by VAhuntr
I have found a couple "lightly" used Tamron 70-200's for Canon but they don't have the vibration compensation. Will this make a big difference?

For sports, it makes no difference at all...for motionless subjects it's helpful.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
VAhunter, those are great lenses. As Jason states for sports it makes no difference, but you would typically being using it on a monopod, thus the VC would be turned off. The lens has a tripod collar to balance the weight better and you would want to attach the monopod to the mount on the collar not the body.

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tangent Warning:
Anyone got experience with the Sigma 120-300 f2.8? I'm not the biggest fan of third party lense, but on paper it sounds like it fills a gap for me nicely. I will probably take my own advice and rent one to test drive first. But any first hand experiences are appreciated. I'm mostly concerned about IQ, Speed and durability. CameraLandTamronPhotAdv do you think Doug would make me a deal on a Canon model?
Chris.

Last edited by ChrisF; 09/25/13.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You are aware there are two versions of this lens - both versions are supposed to share the same optical quality but the more recent one called the "Sport: model is reported to have a much better build quality + Sigma is supposed to have improved their quality control.

The newer version also allows you to customize many features such as programming it for more accurate or for quicker focusing - but you need to buy the Sigma module to do the work,
The latest version is selling in the mid-#3500 range,

As soon as the holidays are over I'm going to order one with the adjustment module and 1.4 tele-converter

Here is a link to a review of the most recent "Sport" model - and as you're a Canon shooter you won't have the problem of the lens rotating opposite that of a Nikon,

http://photographylife.com/reviews/..._campaign=sigma-120-300mm-f2-8-dg-os-hsm

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, I've figured out that the "new" has "OS" and the ability to plug in and tune the AF profile. I've also seen that the "old" is about a grand cheaper, but availability is poor now depending on brand (B&H has Nikon but not Canon and Amazon has Canon but not Nikon).
What has me spooked is that Lens Rentals says this the lens that spend the most time at Sigma for repairs.

p.s. Thanks for the link to the review. I've read several, but this one seems to be the most comprehensive.

Last edited by ChrisF; 09/26/13.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
ChrisF, I would give Doug a call. I have no experience with that particular lens but I am sure if they have one he will have some knowledge of it.

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
CameraLandTamronPhotAdv
Please post your name. I'm loath to taking advice from an anonymous vendor rep that I can't track down at his company. Joel does it as does Doug.

Last edited by ChrisF; 09/26/13.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That's like asking Batman to take off his mask! LOL. I actually don't work for Camera Land or Tamron. I am a customer of Camera Land and a professional who has been using Tamron lenses for more than 20+ years. I did send you a PM too, hopefully you got it.

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

286 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 35 invisible), 2,818 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,617
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.