Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
bread Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
i'm looking to build a 300blackout SBR. i'm looking to keep it around 8" with a 1 in 7 twist. who makes the most accurate barrel and where can i find one without a Long wait. I'm going to pick up my trust today so i do have a little time but would like to to maybe start working up loads with a pistol lower. I want to keep it sub moa would like to keep it .5 moa which i hear is capable. not concerned with money as much as i am accuracy. also i will be shooting sub sonic through a suppressor.

ARIC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think you will be disappointed.
Expecting that accuracy from that type AR just isn't going to happen with a human behind the rifle.

Having said that, the most accurate barrel would be a high end custom with a tight match chamber and properly headspaced bolt. Why do you need a .5 MOA SBR???

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bread
also i will be shooting sub sonic through a suppressor.

Which means you'll be shooting a 100yd rifle. You need half-moa, for what? Gnat/fly control? You ain't thinkin' to clearly.

B
bread Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
i need .5 because it sucks having a gun that aint accurate. i shoot a lot of long range and have rifles that shoot extremly accurate and i want this one to do the same if it is capable. If the gun will do it then i will do it. I will not be the problem. Why would anybody want a gun that won't reach it's full potential. that makes no sense to me. I don't need shooting advice i need barrel advice. i'm new to the ar world but not to the long range accuracy world.

B
bread Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
yes i will be shooting 100 yards. why is it not capable? because its an AR? ive seen plenty of bolt guns shoot .5 with subsonic. i'm just not happy nor will i ever be happy with a rifle that shoots a 2" group

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Years ago my friend had a 9" 300 whisper barrel for his contender, and it was capable of 1/2 moa with 220gr mk loaded supbsonic though it was not supressed. Not just a wild claim from a buddy, I shot a 3 shot 1 ragged hole group with it with my hands numb as the temps were in the teens. Now if a break open handgun is capable of that accuracy, there is no reason an AR can't achieve the same accuracy.

I don't want to start the 300 whisper vs 300 AAC blackout argument, but you might want to consider SSK industries.

As far as not having a long wait, if your goal is top accuracy find who does the best work and wait as long as it takes.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i need .5 because it sucks having a gun that aint accurate. i shoot a lot of long range and have rifles that shoot extremly accurate and i want this one to do the same if it is capable. If the gun will do it then i will do it. I will not be the problem. Why would anybody want a gun that won't reach it's full potential. that makes no sense to me. I don't need shooting advice i need barrel advice. i'm new to the ar world but not to the long range accuracy world.

Okay, you're gonna play "long-range" with 220 grains at 1050fps? That is a 100yd cartridge, in case you ain't figured it out yet. With a 220gr SMK @1050fps with a 100yd zero, that bullet will drop TEN INCHES between 250yd and 275yd. With an angle of incidence on the target like that, ANY range estimation will likely result in a miss or a wound.

So, like I said earlier, a half-moa rifle, chambered in a short range round, is completely superflous. You could make a solid arguement for MOA, which most good AR's are capable of, but rejecting an AR barrel 'cause it ain't half-moa capable, chambered in a 100yd cartridge, is silly.

Terry Cross happens to know a wee-bit about LR shooting, he said that a one moa rifle will win any tactical rifle match in the country, if you'll do.

Anyway, you will need a 1 in 8 twist to stablize 220's and 240's, in case you didn't know.

B
bread Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Okay, you're gonna play "long-range" with 220 grains at 1050fps? That is a 100yd cartridge, in case you ain't figured it out yet. With a 220gr SMK @1050fps with a 100yd zero, that bullet will drop TEN INCHES between 250yd and 275yd. With an angle of incidence on the target like that, ANY range estimation will likely result in a miss or a wound.

So, like I said earlier, a half-moa rifle, chambered in a short range round, is completely superflous. You could make a solid arguement for MOA, which most good AR's are capable of, but rejecting an AR barrel 'cause it ain't half-moa capable, chambered in a 100yd cartridge, is silly.

Terry Cross happens to know a wee-bit about LR shooting, he said that a one moa rifle will win any tactical rifle match in the country, if you'll do.

Anyway, you will need a 1 in 8 twist to stablize 220's and 240's, in case you didn't know.

If you'll read the post i said i wanted a 1 in 7 twist barrel that will handle the 240's, i'm well aware that this gun is a 100 yard gun and that is what it will be used for. this is not a long range gun i have other guns to shoot long range. i dont know why it is so hard for some people to understand that with the right parts you can make a good shooting gun. you have so many comments and still havn't made any suggestions that i asked for in my post.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
These guy's would be my first choice.

http://saternmachining.com/home

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
May I ask why a good chrome lined barrel is out of the question for a SBR? Are you going to be shooting it from a bench mostly? Why not just build a precision rifle if thats what you are after?

I shoot in F class, Modified F class and F/TR matches yearly. I understand the satisfaction of a accurate, long range rifle. I just dont know why you would be so concerned with the accuracy of a rifle designed for up close and personal use.

As I said above, the most accurate will be a high end custom. Krieger, Lilja, Rock Creek, Obermeyer etc... with a match chamber and headspaced bolt.

Getting ANY AR to shoot .5 MOA consistently is not easy. Even with a premium barrel and match ammo its not easily done. Lots of practice, reloading, shooting fundamentals are involved with that kind of precision. Its not like pulling the trigger on a bolt gun.

If you figure out how, let us know.

ETA: I don't mean to criticize your plans. But if I have a better understanding of what you wanted from the rifle, I can give you better answers.

Last edited by CBMJR; 09/11/13.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't think it matters what we think someone needs but only what they think they need.

Noveske is famous for building SBR's that run well and for accurate SS barrels. But no one that I'm aware of has rounded up barrels from all manufacturers and tested them for accuracy in an 8" SBR.
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bi...earch=&since=&status=&title=

The problem with the question is he wants it now.

Last edited by TWR; 09/11/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The most accurate barrel is 20". laugh

Islam is a terrorist organization.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I can understand the OP's question, just as I understand my Buds spending many thousands of dollars to shoot tiny groups with their 22LR's at 100 yards.

OP, i'd check Noveske.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
I don't think it matters what we think someone needs but only what they think they need.

Noveske is famous for building SBR's that run well and for accurate SS barrels. But no one that I'm aware of has rounded up barrels from all manufacturers and tested them for accuracy in an 8" SBR.
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bi...earch=&since=&status=&title=

The problem with the question is he wants it now.

Mine is a Noveske, and no doubt capable of that kind of accuracy. Good luck finding one though. I waited months for mine back before all this mess.

-Dan

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am not sure the blackout is where you want to start regards an accurate rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have 3 ar15's 2 6.8's and a 223/5.56. with the right ammo they all shoot .5 at 100yds. the 223 barrel is a dpms,one of my 6.8 barrels is a model 1 sales.i was told the other 6.8 is wilson,but i don't know that for sure. they are all 16in because i'm not lugging a 10lb rifle around the woods.

i'm not fan of the 300,i'd go 6.5grendel or 6.8. i've been thinking about the 308arrow.

Last edited by srwshooter; 09/12/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I see a lot of people claim .5 MOA rifles but when it comes to testing and competition they are few and far between.

Accuracy test with Noveske barrels:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/467919_.html

Last edited by CBMJR; 09/12/13.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shilen or PacNor would be the first i would look at and then Wilson has some good barrels but not sure you will get the 1/2 inch groups with the Blackout

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CBMJR
I see a lot of people claim .5 MOA rifles but when it comes to testing and competition they are few and far between.

Accuracy test with Noveske barrels:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/467919_.html

some of my buddies used to say the same thing,its amazing how losing a few dollars shuts them up. i reload for all 3,like i said with the right ammo most of them will do it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As far as I know Noveske uses Pac-Nor barrels and I've heard some good things about them.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
322 members (10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 308Palma, 1beaver_shooter, 44 invisible), 2,200 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,725
Posts18,400,614
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.