Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
to me its all about blade steel, use a crappy cheap knife and you are probably going to need to resharpen it a couple times during the caping and gutting process. I love s30v you can go through quite a few animals without sharpening it at all. I use the cabelas alaskin guide with the rubbery handle. its actually made for them by buck. mine did 2 elk and several deer and the blade was still decently sharp, $7 and a trip back to buck renewed the edge to new. why sharpen your knives anymore just pick an awesome steel and send them back and let them sharpen them. This has become my plan for my hunting and personal carry knives.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another vote for the Alaskan Guide S30V series by Buck. They are on sale right now too. Got a flier this week. Mine is the small Caper version that they don't appear to make anymore, but the Skinner and Vanguard would be fine ones also. For that matter, the old 110 style in that steel would suit me too.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
to me its all about blade steel, use a crappy cheap knife and you are probably going to need to resharpen it a couple times during the caping and gutting process. I love s30v you can go through quite a few animals without sharpening it at all. I use the cabelas alaskin guide with the rubbery handle. its actually made for them by buck. mine did 2 elk and several deer and the blade was still decently sharp, $7 and a trip back to buck renewed the edge to new. why sharpen your knives anymore just pick an awesome steel and send them back and let them sharpen them. This has become my plan for my hunting and personal carry knives.

I'm not letting anybody sharpen my knife. If I can't get it sharp with my own two hands, it becomes a gift or trade bait.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i think the havolon is the way to go,i only live 10min from the razor blade factory. the pirana blade are fairly easy to get. i have a free box of 100 blades.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
My #1 would be a Buck 110 followed closely by the Old Timer Sharpfinger. If you are interested in the Old Timer, do a little looking and find an older one that is American made. The new ones are made in china. They quit making them here in 1999 I believe. You can still find the old ones out there, especially at gun shows.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Okay a few pics. I think everyone knows about the Gerber Gator so I'll not post it.

You'll be able to tell I USE these knives. I don't carry them on my person, 1 or 2 may be in my pack depending where I'm going.
They WILL clean up and look pretty good.

First is general purpose knife, most will recognize it. Vintage!
It will rip a deer's sternum too.
[Linked Image]

This one I bought at W M for $30.00 and it's very useful and holds an edge pretty good. That is a very useful gut hook and skinning blade.

[Linked Image]

This Remington blade is 'similar' to a Buck 110 plus a gut hook. This is my FIRST gut hook, '95.

[Linked Image]

I don't remember if this is called Bear Paw or Bear Claw. I've used it when using a climbing stand. The 3 blades come in very handy on occasion.

[Linked Image]

This Shrade Sharp Finger is 80s vintage. On the handle it says "Guns & Ammo". I WISH I had kept it NIB and bought a regular sharp finger for use. Oh Well, hindsight.

[Linked Image]

This is JUST my personal choice! I don't use a pocket knife. I don't OWN any folding knife that's not a LOCK BLADE.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,603
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.