Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
No worries getting varget in Australia, we know it as ar2208 this side of the pond.

I wish a bullet company would make a non premium 250 grain projectile.

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by LowBC
No worries getting varget in Australia, we know it as ar2208 this side of the pond.

I wish a bullet company would make a non premium 250 grain projectile.

Yeah, you guys are shooting it all up... shocked

Maybe that's why there's not much left for us Yanks... laugh

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
LowBC,

Speer used to make a 250 Hot-Cor--but then they changed to the 270-grain.

I have a box of the 250's. Want me to send them across the ocean?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
LowBC,

Speer used to make a 250 Hot-Cor--but then they changed to the 270-grain.

I have a box of the 250's. Want me to send them across the ocean?

Swap'em for a few pounds of Varget... cool

They seem to have a good supply.

DF

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Thanks John, That would be great. I will drop you a PM.

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by The_Big_Game_Hunter

I recently wrote an article describing some of the attributes of this fine cartridge. If you're interested, the link is below.
http://www.thebiggamehuntingblog.com/2013/09/the-93x62mm-mauser.html#more

While there are some good points there, I'm afraid it may be a case of damning with faint praise!

The ballistics are sadly ancient and outdated. At 2550 fps from a 286 NP with its high BC of .482, not only should moose-size game at 500 yards take cover, but once 9.3 X 62 aficionados learn the true potential of their modern bolt-action repeater using modern powders and bullets, Maco Polo Sheep are hardly safe as well!

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by CZ550

I recently wrote an article describing some of the attributes of this fine cartridge. If you're interested, the link is below.

While there are some good points there, I'm afraid it may be a case of damning with faint praise!

The ballistics are sadly ancient and outdated. At 2550 fps from a 286 NP with its high BC of .482, not only should moose-size game at 500 yards take cover, but once 9.3 X 62 aficionados learn the true potential of their modern bolt-action repeater using modern powders and bullets, Maco Polo Sheep are hardly safe as well!

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

I kinda think the same thing when people mention how "short range" a Whelen is.. Seems like those bullets hit just fine out far..

Semper Fi
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

I kinda think the same thing when people mention how "short range" a Whelen is.. Seems like those bullets hit just fine out far..

Those sorts of comments are spoken out of ignorance. People too lazy or stupid to look up what a given bullet's BC is. The 250 gr 9,3mm accubond has a BC of .494 about on par with a 180 gr 30 cal bullet. The Whelen shoots plenty flat enough but it's 250 gr NP's BC pales in comparison at a mere .446. That never stopped me from feeling like a 300 yd shot was unrealistic from my Whelen.

That same 286 gr NP in my 9,3x64 shoots plenty flat for father than I like to shoot.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by beretzs

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Those sorts of comments are spoken out of ignorance. People too lazy or stupid to look up what a given bullet's BC is. The 250 gr 9,3mm accubond has a BC of .494 about on par with a 180 gr 30 cal bullet. The Whelen shoots plenty flat enough but it's 250 gr NP's BC pales in comparison at a mere .446. That never stopped me from feeling like a 300 yd shot was unrealistic from my Whelen.

That same 286 gr NP in my 9,3x64 shoots plenty flat for father than I like to shoot.

I couldn't agree more buddy

Semper Fi
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Just received a CZ 550 Full Stock 20" in 9.3 without scope rings. Which do you feel is a better set of rings ? Factory Medium or Leupold Medium ? Need to order a set.

Ken

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have had grief with two new sets of factory CZ rings now, both bought to mount on Brno ZG-47 rifles and they now reside on one of my "spare parts" boxes.

I have one set of Leupie rings which was on a VERY choice Brno 21H, 7x57, one of a number of these and ZGs I have been and am selling. They are "OK", but, to me are pretty "blah" and I generally love Leupy stuff.

To me, after owning almost 20 different older Brno big game rifles and using most of the available rings for them in chamberings from 7x57 to .375H&H, the TALLEY QDs are in a class of their own, nothing I have tried in 48+ years with these rifles comes close in quality and utility.

I just closed gunsafe No.1 after playing with ZG-47-original 9.3x62 No. 2 and installed a NECG-Recknagel "peep" I had in a parts bin on it, until I can get more Talleys to match those on my first of these superb rifles. I "might" get to N.E. BC for the first two weeks of next month to try for a Moose and one of these is probably going as my "spare" to my Dakota 76-.338WM.

So, I will now ONLY buy Talley QDs for my Brno-CZ rifles and have found them about "perfect" since my first set some years ago. Anyway, just an alternative suggestion, HTH.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
kutenay,
I only use Talley QD's too. They aren't cheap but peace of mind counts for something!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
kutenay,
I only use Talley QD's too. They aren't cheap but peace of mind counts for something!

Without a doubt. I really like Talley. Great folks to talk with and they make one excellent product as well.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Talley QD's on a CZ 9.3x62.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
DF, that looks great. Very nice rifle and scope combo.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Somebody recently mentioned on the Campfire that he'd tried just about every brand of detachable scope mount, and none stayed consistent after taking the scope off and putting it back on over a decade or more.

Well, I've had a 4x33 Leupold in Talleys on my CZ 550 for over a decade now, and while I haven't taken the scope off dozens of times, have taken it off at least once or twice a year during that period, and it's still dead-nuts after it goes back on.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These photos show exactly what I personally DON'T like about Talley's - one needs a step ladder to get one's eye up to them. Either that or rest your chin on the comb of the stock. Magnified much more if one has a stock with any amount of drop at the heel.

Although not a HUGE difference in height, I prefer the Alaska Arms Low rings, which I now have on Mom's 7x57 ZG47 - although the bolt did need to be scalloped to clear the ocular bell of an M8 4X.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The factory CZ rings are pretty darn high. Tally QD's are on order for my CZ 9,3. I just need to add some iron sights to it.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
While I love Talley and use them on almost everything...

Don't look past Warne / Warne QD rings. I have them on a few of my CZ's and have been quite happy with them. A little better price point and I have had ZERO problems with consistency when using the QD feature.

Semper Fi

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jaycee
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These photos show exactly what I personally DON'T like about Talley's - one needs a step ladder to get one's eye up to them. Either that or rest your chin on the comb of the stock. Magnified much more if one has a stock with any amount of drop at the heel.

Although not a HUGE difference in height, I prefer the Alaska Arms Low rings, which I now have on Mom's 7x57 ZG47 - although the bolt did need to be scalloped to clear the ocular bell of an M8 4X.

This AHR CZ has a high comb and the cheek weld, eye alignment is very good. The Oberndorf type bolt handle requires more scope height to clear. So, with this particular set up, the height is correct.

DF

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

187 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 280ACKIMP, 35, 23 invisible), 1,369 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,223
Posts18,447,528
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.