Print Thread
Hop To
K
Kach Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I'm considering using the Kifaru cargo panel hauler as my primary hunting pack for pretty much all situations. This would be my first high-end pack purchase. Is anyone else doing this? I've been a big fan of the dry-bag/frame concept as I think it encourages minimalism.

I'm "testing" the concept this season using a LL Bean Hunter's carryall. It's a similar setup minus the attachments for a pocket on the cargo panel. I've been using a MOLLE sustainment pouch looped onto the compression straps of the carryall and so far so good. That was the best improvement to the system so far - being able to have easy access to some trail gear. I also sometimes use a smaller drybag lashed to the top for quick access to clothing layers in shifty weather (layers on/off frequently), also seems to be working out.

The carryall actually performs pretty good, but the frame is a bit flimsy and my biggest complaint is the sloppy belt attachment. I trust that the K frame would greatly improve this.

I think the Kifaru setup with a couple of pockets on the compression panel might be ideal for what I'm doing. It seems really versatile and has the option to add a pack bag later if I decide I'm "over-it." I've got things organized to the point that I'm really liking this method of packing. It's also nice having things 100% waterproof without needing a separate cover. I have my tent outside the dry bag, so nothing needs to come out until I can bring the whole thing inside shelter.

Just wondering the opinions of the Campfire on this setup and packing method. I'm also interested in possibly using a HPG compression pack as a possibility.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I am looking into a similar purchase. I will probably go with the Kifaru bikini frame, a grab-it and a daypack/compression pack - likely a HPG Tarahumara. HPG don't seem to be supplying compression kits at the moment which is a small problem, so will be add some straps to my Kifaru order. Also going to order the gen 2 hanging meat bag for carrying in food and carrying out meat. I will be using a 65l Sea to Summit Big River dry bag for the main compartment.

The cargo hauler looks great, but it is quite a bit heavier.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JasonF
I am looking into a similar purchase. I will probably go with the Kifaru bikini frame, a grab-it and a daypack/compression pack - likely a HPG Tarahumara. HPG don't seem to be supplying compression kits at the moment which is a small problem, so will be add some straps to my Kifaru order.

HPG DOES sell the compression straps individually, look at their site. That Tara is a tad small for a daypack. That is why I went with a Tara Pocket (lighter) as a compression panel.

I've not seen a Bikini Frame, but I've read that some have encountered issues due to its narrow width. You don't have the loop locs on the edge of the frame like you do with a Longhunter. Careful packing, to maintain a non-barrel shape of the drybag would help. Some over at Rokslide have put this set up together.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The terrapocket fits well on the bikini. Slotted ladder locs are an easy addition to the frame and can function like loop locs or with webbing work great as simple compression straps. Much lighter than g hooks or k connectors.

Also check out the wilderness specialties handi pack as a cheaper, lighter compression panel option

Sean

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 43 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,291
Posts18,467,947
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.