Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I like moly for some situations.

I've had good luck with moly, when used properly, extending throat life considerably. 3-5 times, perhaps more. That is, though, when used properly.

On the other hand, trying to work up loads and test a variety of bullets, moly is a pain in the ass. A lot of the bullets I like to use do not come pre-coated. Coating 250-500, with the equipment I have, is not bad, but trying to only coat 100 is frustrating. The mass of the extra bullets makes the process go more smoothly.

For me, moly worked out better once things were up and running in a sort of production mode. One gun, one or maybe two loads, then moly was fine.

Particularly for target shooting or varmint shooting where I was packing 50-100 round boxes of ammo. I don't like packing a couple extra moly coated shells in my pocket as I do when I'm hunting. Messy.

Moly requires a change in gun cleaning procedures to work properly. Lot of people can't make that change so moly fails for them.

My best successes with moly have come with a 7mm STW where I shot home-coated 120 grain ballistic tips and home coated 160 grain partitions and in a .220 Swift where I shot only home coated 50 grain ballistic tips.

When I sold the Swift, I assumed it was nearly shot out. I wanted something else. The guy who bought it took it to a rifle builder. They ran a bore scope through it. Then called me to find out what was wrong with the gun. They said, based on the rifles the 'smith had built (MANY), that it appeared to have had around 200 rounds through it. I'd put over 2000 rounds through it, almost all coated 50 grain noslers over 43.5 grains of H380 at 398x fps. Not a mild load, in other words.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by bowfisher
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Any improvement in barrel life or change in accuracy is merely a due to a reduction in velocity.

To get back to the initial velocity, you have to load more powder. There is no point to moly.

I know nothing about DBC.

I will have to respectfully disagree with that statement. Wet-applied moly has helped immensely in my PD rifles for considerably more rounds between cleanings. There is a piece on 6BR that Norma did regarding moly and barrel life also... Worth a look.

I can only go by the rifles I have and the time I get to test them, but it's worth it to me, for the same reasons some of the other guys have posted.

I also UBC'ed my first barrel this summer and trying it with HBN coated bullets for a comparison. Good thing is, the bore coat didn't ruin my new barrel( I was nervous, have to admit, but I know JB doesn't talk out his #%$, like some other folks). So I took the plunge, it's shooting small groups at over 4100fps so far.

Two identical chamberings, albeit different twist rate rifles and I will run them side by side and see how they match up. One wet-applied moly bullet, one UBC'ed and HBN.

Actually, what the Norma article on 6mmBR says about throat erosion is this: "When it comes to increased barrel life statistics start to get a pain in b- - t. It is too much a work with too many variabels to do enough tests."

I short they have no idea. The article goes on to describe a group they shot after 10,000 moly rounds through a barrel, but there was no comparison between that and 10,000 rounds of non-moly bullets through an equivalent barrel.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

369 members (1lesfox, 10ring1, 160user, 06hunter59, 16penny, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 1,745 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,565
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.