Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Hazcat Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I finally got the scope sorted out on my '50 Model 99EG .300 (the scope mounts were poorly drilled by PO) and took it to the range - it was shooting nice, accurate, but I had 2 misfires due to light FP strike, then a few shots later, an accidental discharge as I was gently closing the lever. After I gave a silent thanks to my dad for beating into my head to ALWAYS keep the business end downrange and low, I cased it and brought it home. Here are a few shots of what I found after I got the stock off.

[Linked Image]
This is the sear/hammercocked - notice the little groove about 1/8 down the sear? also see the inset on the face of the hammer?

[Linked Image]
Here is that face again. I don't have another to compare to, but I'm pretty sure that it didn't leave the factory that way.

[Linked Image]
Here's the sear with white background - note the groove.
I guess it was to reduce the bearing surface - great way to lighten the trigger, eh?
(it was about 4.5 lb)

[Linked Image]
Here's another of the hammer.
Could he have thought that by reducing the hammer spring tension by 1/16", it would lighten the pull?
Could that be part of the reason for light FP strike?
No gunk or debris in the bolt hole where this assy goes.

[Linked Image]
Here is my 1908 model 1899 for comparison - looks factory fresh! I haven't got a photo of a model 99 to compare mine with.

So I need a sear and hammer - Numrich has the sears but not the hammers. Hoping to find a good used one, otherwise I'd have to "mini-hardface" the surface with MIG and grind/stone the surface back to spec.

I got a really good deal on the gun, so it's not the end of the world (just bummed about not getting to use it this season), but if you're spending much on one, having a gunsmith check the trigger mech for this kind of hacking would be good insurance. I'm glad no one got hurt by this, it chills me to think that I had cycled some ammo through it at home getting the mag spindle tension right (that was a mess too) - Couldn't get snap caps for it, and didn't have dies to make empties (now i have!) It would have made a mess out of my hardwood floor, and my wife would have banished it forever. I guess pop is watching over me still. Could explain why the rifle seemed lightly used; it fed badly, wouldn't zero, and went off on it's own.

Any one have leads on a used hammer?

James

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Yeah, I can send both parts to you and you won't have double shipping costs.

Drop me a PM and we'll get to the details.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep. Bubba got his hands on it. Lightfoot is good to deal with.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Chapter 3: "Bubba Gets a New Dremel Tool."

Chapter 1: "Bubba Gets a New Drill Press"

Chapter 2: "Bubba Uses the Wrong Screwdrivers."

[Linked Image]

Last edited by rlott; 09/15/13.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For rapid fire situations you can look forward to some extra cooling capacity with them holes. grin

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm bettin' it shoots to the left !!!! grin

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A nice piece of picatinny rail on that left side and your tactical flashlight will cover up most of those holes.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Yep. Bubba got his hands on it. Lightfoot is good to deal with.

+1. you can have confidence in dealing with Lightfoot. He's had the parts I needed to revive a couple of old classics. Fair prices; fast shipping.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
A nice piece of picatinny rail on that left side and your tactical flashlight will cover up most of those holes.

Will an iPhone with rifle scope app fit on one of those rails too? In lieu of that, perhaps a cup holder?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hes going to need more holes.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I avoid using valuable rail space for a cup holder buy hanging one of these over the barrel in front of the forarm... http://www.firebox.com/product/5927/6-Bottle-Bike-Bag (it doubles as a barrel De-Resonator)

Remembering The 99
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
...and cheap at twice the price!! grin

H
Hazcat Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Looks like Bubba uses a 10-32 tap for everything!
I think that the cupholder goes on the right, the rear view mirror on the left....

:-) and thanks to lightfoot, my parts are on the way!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Report back once the new parts are installed and fitted. Curious minds want to know. grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see way too many 99's which have been poorly worked over. The Bubba gun smithing store must have been open 24/7.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As long as Black and Decker sells tools Bubba will be around. grin Then, on the other hand, he probably buys those China imports. grin

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 52 invisible), 2,745 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,489
Posts18,452,075
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.