Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thinking about buying one in 40-65. Any and all opinions appreciated.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have no direct experience with the Cimarron, but they have a reputation for importing the better Italian firearms.

What is it about this rifle that attracts you, setting aside the fact that it is a .40-65? Do you particularly like the looks? Price point? Features?

Are there any other high walls that you have or would consider?

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
The only single shots I have are #1s, rolling blocks, and a couple three H&Rs. Just thinkin' about playing around with something different. I know there are better guns out there, but they, of course are more $s. And yes, I know you get what you pay for. By the time it's all said and done the rifle will run $1100 or so out the door. I really don't want to spend over $1000 on a Cimarron and find out the hard way it's a POS.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
OK, that helps. I know this will be a bit vague. The Italian made BPCRs are not the first choice of "serious" BPCR shooters, which group I'll define arbitrarily as those who compete with some regularity, as well as hunting. That group typically chooses a Shiloh, or a custom on an original or replica action, or a Browning BPCR. C. Sharps is also in that group. Although made in Japan, the Browning BPCRs have Badger barrels, which sets them apart from other imports. The Italian Pedersolis and Ubertis are generally considered second to those mentioned, but are the best of the Italians. I'm fairly certain that the Cimarron 1885s are made by Uberti to Cimarron's specs.

All that is to say that I doubt you'd find either of those top Italian brands to be a POS. Maybe not as nice as the higher priced American made rifles, but I don't hear folks bad mouthing them either. I saw a Uberti high wall at a small local match this morning, and the shooter held his own against Shilohs.

You didn't say specifically what your budget is, but I'd recommend that you consider a Browning BPCR. They haven't been made for some time, but they are out there. You should be able to find a good one for somewhere in the range of $1500, at least when I last checked the market.

Paul

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Having recommended the Browning BPCR, I'll note that it is a heavy rifle, running 11-12 pounds with iron sights. Too heavy for most hunting situations.

My personal objection to most of the Italian rifles is the stock configuration. Too much drop for me, and they don't seem to replicate the originals very well.

Personal preferences.

Paul

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What Paul said is pretty much on the mark. The Browning BPCRs are really going to be a notch above the Ubertis in the accuracy department. They are available used, and they hold their value. They also come with well made sights. But they are heavy, and they are even less like the original than the Italians.

That said, I think they are nice rifles.

Personally, and as Paul knows, I have a bug for original actions and then I run around getting them rebarreled, sometimes restocked etc. Half the fun of owning one like that is the joy you have when all the hassle of rebuilding one is over. smile

Seriously, I do enjoy the process of rebuilding an old rifle like that so I don't really know that much about the off-the shelf rifles. Even my Shiloh has been rebarreled. Heck, I have to think hard before I can come up with a rifle that I haven't rebarreled.

But Paul is spot on about the Browning/Winchester BPCRs. They are shooters.

BTW, this is a Browning you do NOT want. If you look closely, you will see that this does not have a top tang. That tells you it is no a Badger barrel rifle, is not fitted for a tang sight and probably has the wrong twist for what BPCR shooters generally want. Yes, this is confusing.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/12432...-1885-high-wall-.45-70-single-shot-rifle

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Take the time to save a bit more $$ and buy a C. Sharps 1885 or a Shiloh '74 if you want to do the BPCR game. You won't regret it. If you have to, the Browchester 1885 BPCR is the next choice. Makes me ill to see "made in Japan" on any of my firearms. Your mileage may vary.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been told by some pretty savy guys that the Pedersoli barrels are first class and tend to be very good shooters. Not something to dismiss out of hand.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
I have been told by some pretty savy guys that the Pedersoli barrels are first class and tend to be very good shooters. Not something to dismiss out of hand.

In the .40s and .45 Sharps, Gibbs and maybe the Roller. But whether this extends to other models and calibers is not clear. Pedersoli put out a special effort under Dick Trenks' urging to capture some of the BPCR/BPTR market. And they did, but I don't know about the other models and calibers.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Stuck a tang sight on one for a customer several years ago. They look nice. Well built. But dunno anything else about them. Like the internals. And haven't really spoke with anyone who shoots one.

The only one I can get excited about is the low wall in 32 WCF. Only cause I already have a nice old Colt "Army Special" in that calibre. And there's really nutthin' round here I can't kill with a 32.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (808outdoors, 338reddog, 257_X_50, AB2506, 19rabbit52, 11 invisible), 1,536 guests, and 900 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,116
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.